Does Anyone here Suffer from Polymyalgia Rheumatica?

kimmar067

TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!
I'm very upset - I've been feeling REALLY achy since going to Puerto Rico in August; weird how it came on so suddenly [ I attributed it to the uncomfortable bed]. After unsuccessfully popping Advil like candy, I broke down and I finally went to my doctor, who ran a blood test....turns out that I probably have Polymyalgia Rheumatica, which is a type of autoimmune disease that affects the muscles - mainly, my arms, shoulders, hips, and thighs. So, now I am on a 6-day regimen of a corticosteroid (the generic version of Prednisone) [for the SECOND TIME in two weeks]; I might have to be on a low-dose regimen of it for the next year or so.....great, just great......:sad: It STINKS getting old....and don't even get me started on the joys of a bathroom visit! OUCHIES!

Last edited:
Just giving you lots of :hug: s Kim. Don't even get me started on getting old............(We really need a gun emoji! ;) )

Sorry to hear that, Kim. Hope something works and you feel better soon.
Yep getting old isn't fun......

....since the last round of meds helped [while I was actually TAKING the meds] the doctor gave me a prescription, which I now take one a day....still in pain, but it's bearable.....and, I have enough to last me while we visit WDW in less than 2 weeks....

YES!!!!!!! Have had it for about 10 years now. So, sooo sorry to read here that you have it too. :(

OMG!!! Sending hugs... :grouphug:
I have some afflictions of my own, so I hear ya...

You might want to look into Naltrexone. (Narcan)
Also, a combination of Ibuprofen and pseudoephridine might help.
(Start with an Ibuprofen and 1/2 of a CVS or Advil Cold and Sinus - behind the counter, due to the pseudoephridine)

Insect borne diseases come to mind when I think of joint and body aches. (as well as tropical destinations)
Some are not easily diagnosed due to lack of good blood tests....

went to my doctor, who ran a blood test....turns out that I probably have Polymyalgia Rheumatica,

Went back and reread your post. *Unless things have changed recently*, there is no blood test to get a diagnosis for PMR. There are MANY blood tests done to rule out other conditions that may mimic it, but after they are ruled out, a sky high sed rate is what clinches it. Is it a rheumatologist that you saw or your primary care physician?

Went back and reread your post. *Unless things have changed recently*, there is no blood test to get a diagnosis for PMR. There are MANY blood tests done to rule out other conditions that may mimic it, but after they are ruled out, a sky high sed rate is what clinches it. Is it a rheumatologist that you saw or your primary care physician?

Agree. My dd is seeing a rheum. and on her second round of bloodwork. Not an easy diagnosis for her.

....it is my primary care physician...I have a scheduled appointment to see a rheumatologist....btw, the doctor did mention that my sed WAS abnormally high....:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter