• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone know how to use this dehydrator?!

laurajetter

Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi
I recently purchased a dehydrator through Facebook Marketplace for $10. I mildly had been interested in the idea of dehydrating foods a few years back, but not enough to purchase a brand new one. I saw the low price and the owner said it was a cute little dehydrator but they just didn't use it anymore, so I figured I'd give it a try. I sent DH to pick it up after work, but unfortunately she told him she did not have the manual. Many times when I need manual I just look it up online, however there is absolutely no branding whatsoever on this thing. It has circular plastic trays that stack atop one another, and a heating element in the base however there are no obvious controls or settings, not even an on/off switch... it seems very basic.

I'm hoping someone can either recognize the brand/style and tell me what it is so I can look it up, or perhaps just give me the basics on how to use it... I mean, I understand the general gist, but how do you know how long to plug it in for, 2 hours? 24 hours? Is it dangerous to leave it on too long? Do I need to rotate the trays after a certain point to ensure even drying? Conversely, is it forbidden to open the trays before finishing because I'd be letting the heat out?

I tried asking the seller a few basic questions but have gotten no response. Hopefully someone on here might have some info!

I've added a photo, however even though I took the photo vertically and it shows up in Photoshop vertically, here in my post it is rotated sideways. Sorry if it's sideways on your end too!

Attachments

• IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 26
my husband frequently makes jerky with his dehydrator- sorry don't recall the brand, but it's a simple/basic inexpensive one with round trays. If I recall correctly he pretty much layers everything on the trays and runs it for several hours & /or overnight. He usually has all of the trays filled - I think there are 3 or 4 round trays in his.
I guess I'd recommend trying whatever it is you are interested in - jerky, fruit, veggies...try some in there, and give it a whirl to experiment with the times. I believe that the more loaded up you have the trays the longer it may take.
I know it's not much to go on, hope this little bit of info helps until someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Honestly, it is going to be trial & error. How dehydrated do YOU want something. Apples for instance, do you want them chewy dehydrated or crunchy dehydrated.

I am sure you could look up "recipes" that will give you an estimate of how long.

I've never used a dehydrator without a thermostat however what the pps say makes sense.
You might want to take a look at the Ronco dehydrator sold on late night infomercials since I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a way to adjust the temperature or time either. Probably easy to get a manual with times for it online.

I'd try something like apples first it takes 12 hours or so at 135 (maybe 130 I need to check my book). With a used machine without branding I recommend trying something like that on a day you will be home as opposed to leaving it overnight or when you won't be home. Maybe I'm paranoid but I do worry about leaving appliances plugged in.

Recipes will give you some general idea of the time, but time also fluctuates with all sorts of variables such as the amount of food you fill the machine with, so trial and error at best

that looks like the ronco 5 tray i've got. if you do a google search the manual is available to download on-line. it's pretty easy to use. on you tube you may even be able to find the full info-mercial that ron popiel did for it back in the 90's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter