Does anyone know how well SW airlines handles kids with disabilities?

Orion Nebula

DIS Veteran
We are flying out this Saturday and tried to read up on things and it seems like they do a decent job, but I was hoping for some first hand experiences. We ended up paying extra for early bird check-in just to increase our boarding chances, as we weren't sure how the disability process worked. Due to my son becoming more anxious as the flight approaches I was hoping to get some peace of mind. One of the biggest things I came across is that only one person was allowed to board with the one who needed assistance. My wife and I want to be able to both board with my son as there is no way he can sit next to anyone else... the entire trio of seats will be bouncing a bit from his stemming. He is old enough to not have a melt down anymore but this is his first time flying. He might "freak" out a bit when we hit turbulence for instance. Anyhow has anyone flown with SW and dealt with these situations?

The last time we flew SW was a few years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. At that time, we had a special needs stroller so we got a blue boarding pass for disability boarding. As a party of 3, both parents were allowed to accompany DD; I folded and gate-checked the stroller while DH got her onboard to a seat. It wasn't her first flight and we had prepared well so it was a fairly smooth process (at something like 5am!). She had her favorite stuffy and carry-on bag of entertainment, I had plenty of gummy bears for chewing to help with pressure in the ears (she didn't do gum at that time), and snacks to get through the ~2 hr flight. I think DH had a travel blanket and pillow but I don't recall if she used those or not. We've been fortunately to have rather uneventful flights with very minimal turbulence.

Both of you will be allowed to board with your son. You did not need to purchase EBCI, as disabilities are pre-boarded prior to the regular boarding process beginning.

Steve

We are flying out this Saturday and tried to read up on things and it seems like they do a decent job, but I was hoping for some first hand experiences. We ended up paying extra for early bird check-in just to increase our boarding chances, as we weren't sure how the disability process worked. Due to my son becoming more anxious as the flight approaches I was hoping to get some peace of mind. One of the biggest things I came across is that only one person was allowed to board with the one who needed assistance. My wife and I want to be able to both board with my son as there is no way he can sit next to anyone else... the entire trio of seats will be bouncing a bit from his stemming. He is old enough to not have a melt down anymore but this is his first time flying. He might "freak" out a bit when we hit turbulence for instance. Anyhow has anyone flown with SW and dealt with these situations?
only thing that we had a problem with was at landing you just have to deplane with everyone else or wait until everyone else deplanes. hate to bring up masks but what I have seen like Disney no exception. have a great trip

I would do preboarding with your son. Just stop at the desk at the gate and ask. I believe they will allow all 3 of you to board together. If you go toward the back of the plane there will be less distractions/stimulation for him because fewer people will pass your family while they are boarding.

I would do preboarding with your son. Just stop at the desk at the gate and ask. I believe they will allow all 3 of you to board together. If you go toward the back of the plane there will be less distractions/stimulation for him because fewer people will pass your family while they are boarding.
used to be that preboards had to sit toward the front of plane

JUst ask for pre-board. Since it is only the 3 of you, all three will be likely to board together. If not, don't worry. People are generally very accommodating to keep families together.
We always head toward the back just to keep the number of people passing and distracting to a minimum. Bring a game or fidget - when you preboard it can be a long wait for the rest of the plane and I know my anxious ASD child gets more stressed the longer he's there without the plane moving.

Let the flight attendants know you have an anxious first time flyer. Everyone I've met at SW has been amazing. My son is now a seasoned flyer but when he was still nervous about it, they always came by and explained what was happening - a bump in the clouds, air currents, etc.

And I know i'm preaching to the choir, but social stories, social stories, social stories! Lots of videos on You Tube about flying and what to expect. We had a book that detailed the whole process from Security to getting luggage at the other end. There will be weird bumps and noises that are all perfectly normal (pushing out from the gate, the whir of the engines, the clunk of the landing gear, etc.)

Remember to prepare him for security. He may need to answer questions from the TSA agent. The screening itself can be weird and scary. It still makes my son nervous even though he's flown several times and we have TSA Pre-Check which makes it easier. Once flying, my son was so fascinated with the wing flaps that he barely noticed anything else. Have a great trip!

We fly exclusively with SWA and with the exception of 1 or 2 people, everyone is so nice. You can ask for pre-board and they most likely will give it to you. You will be able to pick any row, usually except for the front since those are reserved for people in wheelchairs. Other then that, everything else will be up to you with your son. You know him best and what would work for distractions. With the Covid, they are not doing soda, just water and a snack pack of mixed, salty snacks. Also, some people say that their child kicks the seat in front of them and they have 1 parent sit in that seat so it does not disturb a stranger. Most flights are far from full now. We just got back a couple of weeks ago and the flights were all less then half full. You won't have any issues with someone trying to sit in the same row with your wife and child if you do sit in front of them. Have fun.

I flew SWA to MCO last week, back home yesterday. Both flights completely sold out. Just FYI

just watch that his stemming or freaking out bumps seat in front of you as if it keeps happening passenger in front might complain to FAs. which is why someone suggested that one of you sit in row in front of him as there is not much room between rows. as much as you want to sit all in one row, sitting him by window and your wife in middle seat leaving aisle seat open with you in row in front at window might be your best bet. even better than all in one row if bumping seat in front. more to think about. I have seen more problems from seat in front than someone sitting in same row if special needs is at window with helper/parent in middle

Last edited:
We will only fly SWA (2 - 4 times a year before Covid) for many reasons but the biggest reason is how they treat disabled people. I am handicapped and need assistance from my husband to the plane and my daughter is autistic. With the exception of ONE time, SWA is FANTASITC!!!! The one time we had a problem with them, we just went to a different employee and explained that all 3 of us needed to board at the same time and we were told, "Of course - no problem!"

WE LOVE SOUTHWEST!!!!

My dad is mobile but partially paralyzed. We flew SW for the first time in September. I had no idea what I was doing as to his disability and flights, beyond wheelchair assistance. I asked at the gate and they very nicely “took care of it”. They sat him with my mom and the rest of the family boarded later. His disabilities are obvious, but the minute I asked for help they gave him preboarding. He sat in the first row.

I realized he is an adult and it’s different, but I was super impressed with SW service. It made his first flight post accident very smooth.

We have not flown with our daughter (who has autism) since Covid, but have traveled with her on Southwest many many times. THEY ARE WONDERFUL! Simply ask at the gate about pre-boarding. My husband and I have both been allowed to board with her. She is now 17 years old. In our experience, SWA flight attendants are very accommodating and understanding.

We fly exclusively with SWA and with the exception of 1 or 2 people, everyone is so nice. You can ask for pre-board and they most likely will give it to you. You will be able to pick any row, usually except for the front since those are reserved for people in wheelchairs. Other then that, everything else will be up to you with your son. You know him best and what would work for distractions. With the Covid, they are not doing soda, just water and a snack pack of mixed, salty snacks. Also, some people say that their child kicks the seat in front of them and they have 1 parent sit in that seat so it does not disturb a stranger. Most flights are far from full now. We just got back a couple of weeks ago and the flights were all less then half full. You won't have any issues with someone trying to sit in the same row with your wife and child if you do sit in front of them. Have fun.
Actually, pre-boards may sit anywhere except the exit row. The first rows are not reserved for wheelchair passengers. They pre-board and usually do take those seats, but they are not reserved. I pre-board, but leave those seats available for mobility challenged folk. I typically board after the wheelchair passengers and before A-1.

Actually, pre-boards may sit anywhere except the exit row. The first rows are not reserved for wheelchair passengers. They pre-board and usually do take those seats, but they are not reserved. I pre-board, but leave those seats available for mobility challenged folk. I typically board after the wheelchair passengers and before A-1.

No, they are not reserved, but if someone with a mobility issue comes in after you, they will ask you to move. I would rather just take the 2nd or 3rd row right from the start, then sit in the front row and have to move after getting settled. Plus, you can't have your bags with you during take off and landing since there is no seat in front of you to put them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter