Does anyone know if the walkway from the Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness ever reopened?

They tore up the paved trail between FW and WL because the ground underneath it was used as a utility corridor to run buried various power, water, gas, communications, etc. lines to the R********* construction site.

And sadly, given all the prep work that Disney put into that work site, they'll eventually build SOMETHING there IMO.

Bama Ed
Most people probably do not remember that DVC was supposed to build a resort next to the Eagle Pines Golf Course. The plan was announced in the spring or summer of 2001. They started to install the utility's and even built a bridge.
When September 11th happened they put the plan on hold.
Eventually they decide to build out the Disney Institute to what we now know as the Saratog Springs Resort.
The idea was that the utility's needed to build a resort were already there and they even re used some of the existing buildings.
This was to include the now DVC preview center, the front desk,restaurants,golf course offices and other buildings.
The resort that was supposed to go by the name Disney’s Villas at Eagle Pines if my memory is correct eventually became the Four Seasons Resort area.

Most people probably do not remember that DVC was supposed to build a resort next to the Eagle Pines Golf Course. The plan was announced in the spring or summer of 2001. They started to install the utility's and even built a bridge.
When September 11th happened they put the plan on hold.
Eventually they decide to build out the Disney Institute to what we now know as the Saratog Springs Resort.
The idea was that the utility's needed to build a resort were already there and they even re used some of the existing buildings.
This was to include the now DVC preview center, the front desk,restaurants,golf course offices and other buildings.
The resort that was supposed to go by the name Disney’s Villas at Eagle Pines if my memory is correct eventually became the Four Seasons Resort area.
They even had an artist rendering of that resort at the sales center. We became members a few months after 9/11 before they formally did away with that idea, and that's always been a sore point with golf-loving DH.

Around 2010-2011 I rented a bike at Wilderness Lodge and rode the path to lunch and a view of the horses in the stables, I did see lots of wildlife, including baby deer on that ride. It was delightful.

Such a shame this path is closed. Disney should be a model of paths and walkability. Look how popular they are when there is one (VGF for example). I love the one OKW to DS. It is such a shame in this day and age of obesity and sedentary lifestyles that a planned ‘community’ like this is taking paths away. That was a great running route as well.

Around 2010-2011 I rented a bike at Wilderness Lodge and rode the path to lunch and a view of the horses in the stables, I did see lots of wildlife, including baby deer on that ride. It was delightful.
Ironically, the "Caution, Bike Crossing" signs are still up on the walkway from WL to BRV (right by the walkway to the bus stop), but there's zero chance of any bikes riding by now.

Are there any updates on the path from Wilderness to the Campgrounds. I ran it in the past and it was very interesting. The Disney Website says it’s open but the last few times I went over there it was closed. Thank you

Ran around Wilderness Lodge today and the trail to The Campgrounds is definitely closed with a sign across saying no trespassing or you will be charged with a felony.

Years ago there was a walkway from the Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness.
When they started the the new resort at the Fort I was told it was closed.
Does anyone know if it ever reopened?
Very sad that this path is gone; we walked it every day when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge (Now Boulder Ridge)

I seem to remember that there used to be 2 paths - on is the paved bike - walking path that you are discussing and the other was called the nature path (I believe) and pretty much hugged the Bay lake shore. That one's been gone for 10ish years I think.

I think any path between the two resorts is closed for safety and security reasons.
The path will only open once a resort is built and open where the DVC resort was to be.

Last edited:
I really wish they'd reopen the path AND get the Bay Lake boat service back.

I seem to remember that there used to be 2 paths - on is the paved bike - walking path that you are discussing and the other was called the nature path (I believe) and pretty much hugged the Bay lake shore. That one's been gone for 10ish years I think.
They closed the nature trail along the lake when they started building CCV. Maybe sometime in 2016?
I think any path between two resorts is closed for safety and security reasons.
The path will only open once a resort is built and open where the DVC resort was to be.
??? There is a resort. Fort Wilderness. The path was between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness which both are still there. There are no construction concerns with the cancellation of Reflections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter