• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone live near Crystal River? Manatee question

ColoradoMom!!

Disneyland 1971 with Mickey and Me
Most importantly I want to express my sympathy for all that this area has gone through in the last few months. Hurricane and then a tornado? I can't imagine. And if you do live there, my next question is pretty insignificant and perhaps insensitive. I apologize in advance.

We will be in Orlando the first week of December and have one day to travel to see the manatees. I have been planning on going to Three Sisters, or perhaps Homossasa but have read that the recent events could have caused the water to become very cloudy. Maybe Blue Springs would be better and a bit closer. This is our one shot, one day, and I really would like to see what we can (I know the temperature/weather has an impact on if the manatees will come into the springs).

I posted another thread in the Orlando attractions thread about seeing manatess that gave me a lot of information, but no one really has commented on the current visibility on the west coast areas. Any locals that have some insight to share? If you had only one day in early Dec., where would you suggest? Thanks.

I live somewhat local and have an investment property about 20 miles from Crystal River and know the area pretty well. If you are going to be near the spring heads, then the water will be at its clearest. Since the fishbowl at Homosassa is literally built over the spring head, it offers more clarity than downstream.

https://homosassaspringswildlife.com/

Every time I go there, they feed the manatees at the "salad bar"; it's their name for a floating boundary where the workers throw in romaine/lettuce connected to the fishbowl.

And yes, we avoided a direct strike from the hurricane earlier this year.

I have found some of my photographs to give you an idea of the layout. Close enough to the manatees for you?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-25 162153.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 162153.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2023-11-25 162222.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 162222.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2023-11-25 162311.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 162311.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2023-11-25 162353 - Copy.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 162353 - Copy.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2023-11-25 162451 - Copy.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-25 162451 - Copy.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response! Incredible pictures. Definitely close - I actually meant that Blue Springs would be a close drive - not close to the manatees. Gosh the water looks clear and gorgeous ! I read that the Oct 12th tornado caused a lot of damage and that the springs had suffered from debris etc.

Looks like Homossasa has a lot to offer. I have even been stalking all the live web cams!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter