Does anyone love their dishwasher? (and I don't mean your spouse!)

stitch'sgirl

DIS Veteran
Our dishwasher is on its last leg. I have no idea what to look for. Any suggestions? I went shopping a few months ago and gave up. There was such a range in price and I'm not seeing what the differences are.

We just bought a new dishwasher a year ago. First thing you need to do is carefully measure the hole for your dishwasher. Dishwashers are not a standard size. Once we realized that, our choices were narrowed down quite far. (We did buy an LG and have been happy with it.)

I have owned many dishwashers. I have never loved any of them. When I bought my stainless steel expensive Bosch dishwasher I thought for sure "this is the one". Sadly they have all left me somewhat disappointed.

Last edited:
I have owned many dishwashers. I have never loved any of them. When I bought my stainless steel expensive dishwasher I thought for sure "this is the one". Sadly they have all left me somewhat disappointed.

Same here. I haven't really been happy with any.

I loved our miele that was here when we moved in to this house around 10 years ago. Quiet, looked nice, great job cleaning. We had some problems a few months back and couldn't find anyone who could fix it so since it was already pretty old we went ahead and replaced.

Ended up with a kitchenaid with 3 levels of baskets (top is a flat one for ladles and such). It's nice, quiet, cleans well although not as well as our Miele did. I really like that top basket, and like that I can raise/lower the middle one. It was prob half the price of a new Miele and I know several appliance guys who will work on it if we have problems so all good points. Doesn't feel as nice a quality as the Miele but looks nice and fits well enough with our other appliances. Overall happy and would buy again

One piece of advice is to really look at decibels, especially if you have an open concept room. Quieter makes a huge difference!

I only use it a few times a year. It's just too quick and easy to wash them by hand and be done.

We bought a Miele four years ago. It does a great job on the dishes and is very quiet. It uses much less water that the older models, but the cleaning cycles are quite long. All in all we have been very happy with it.

It did take me quite a while to get over how expensive the unit was compared to all the other models.

The first choice you'll want to consider is stainless vs standard. The former retains heat better. In fact, we don't have to use heated drying ever with our stainless.
The next choice is heating element at the bottom or separate heating chamber at the back. The latter is less noisy and you don't have to worry about things on the bottom melting. However, you lose about 1-2 inches in your racks. Note that if your dishwasher is 15 years old, any new dishwasher is going to be quieter than yesteryear. Your next choice is buttons on the front or buttons on the top. Buttons on the top is prettier but can end up tucked under your counter. However, you push your cycle buttons before you close it and only rarely do I ever change anything mid cycle. Most models instastop upon opening the door these days. Another choice is how it deals with large particles of food. You can get one that filters it (and you'll have to clean said filter every so often, or one that chops it up. Your last choice is the configuration of the racks. Some have third roll out rack for cookie sheets and larger utensils the like. Others do not. But the extra rack does use vertical space. In some you can adjust the top rack up or down on the fly. Others, you have to pull it out and put it back in (which stinks if you've loaded it and that last dish you want to put in is too tall) Still others cannot be adjusted. There are also variations in cycles. Some have separate super duper pot scrubbing jets on the back wall, others don't.

We took our larger sized dishes in and loaded the various dishwashers to try them out. We ended up with a Whirlpool manufactured Kenmore stainless, buttons on the top, filtered, element on the bottom. The two inches did matter to us and the space lost with the extra rack also mattered. We also don't use much plastic having converted over to stainless and glass. We got the super duper pot scrubber. I don't really see that it does differently than our normal pot scrubbing cycle which does fine. We have more cycles than we know what to do with. We use energy saver pot scrubber, and old fashioned 1 hour wash the most with the vast majority being energy saver. We don't leave gobs of food on the plate so the filter does fine. It's not hard to take out and clean. It's not the quietest model but our old model was at 97 on the noise meter. So the difference between our 45 and others 42 was moot for us.

We just bought a new dishwasher a year ago. First thing you need to do is carefully measure the hole for your dishwasher. Dishwashers are not a standard size. Once we realized that, our choices were narrowed down quite far. (We did buy an LG and have been happy with it.)
I did not know that!! Thanks!

I have a Kitchenaid Architect series that I adore. I never rinse my dishes. Sometimes they sit for a week. And they still come out clean 100% of the time.

The first choice you'll want to consider is stainless vs standard. The former retains heat better. In fact, we don't have to use heated drying ever with our stainless.
The next choice is heating element at the bottom or separate heating chamber at the back. The latter is less noisy and you don't have to worry about things on the bottom melting. However, you lose about 1-2 inches in your racks. Note that if your dishwasher is 15 years old, any new dishwasher is going to be quieter than yesteryear. Your next choice is buttons on the front or buttons on the top. Buttons on the top is prettier but can end up tucked under your counter. However, you push your cycle buttons before you close it and only rarely do I ever change anything mid cycle. Most models instastop upon opening the door these days. Another choice is how it deals with large particles of food. You can get one that filters it (and you'll have to clean said filter every so often, or one that chops it up. Your last choice is the configuration of the racks. Some have third roll out rack for cookie sheets and larger utensils the like. Others do not. But the extra rack does use vertical space. In some you can adjust the top rack up or down on the fly. Others, you have to pull it out and put it back in (which stinks if you've loaded it and that last dish you want to put in is too tall) Still others cannot be adjusted. There are also variations in cycles. Some have separate super duper pot scrubbing jets on the back wall, others don't.

We took our larger sized dishes in and loaded the various dishwashers to try them out. We ended up with a Whirlpool manufactured Kenmore stainless, buttons on the top, filtered, element on the bottom. The two inches did matter to us and the space lost with the extra rack also mattered. We also don't use much plastic having converted over to stainless and glass. We got the super duper pot scrubber. I don't really see that it does differently than our normal pot scrubbing cycle which does fine. We have more cycles than we know what to do with. We use energy saver pot scrubber, and old fashioned 1 hour wash the most with the vast majority being energy saver. We don't leave gobs of food on the plate so the filter does fine. It's not hard to take out and clean. It's not the quietest model but our old model was at 97 on the noise meter. So the difference between our 45 and others 42 was moot for us.
So much to consider! Thank you for taking the time to explain it all!!

I like my Bosh for cleaning -I don't like how the racks work. I almost wish I had brought a few of my glasses in and tried them out -they are almost too tall for the racks. I like the quiet. We have the kind that has the filter -so it has to be cleaned occasionally. We also have the 3rd rack -which I really like -but I think it is why I find there is not always enough room for my taller drinking glasses.
Consumer reports tend to favor Bosh and Kitchenaid last time I checked

Can't say that I've ever loved a dishwasher, but our KitchenAid has out-cleaned the others we've had in the past.

I never really thought about it, can't say I love mine but it does the job and cleans the dishes. My problem is the phosphate free detergent, but once I started adding my own its made a world of difference.

We bought a Samsung about a year and a half ago. It did a great job for about a year.

We are awaiting delivery of our Kitchen Aid model (if that gives you any indication of how (dis)satisfied we are with the Samsung. It was too costly to repair it and risk having to repair it again in the not-to-distant future.

My parents bought their first dishwasher right around the time their dishwasher (me) moved out 18 years ago. They've never really been satisfied with any of their dishwashers. I will be there for family gatherings and start unloading the dishwasher and my Mom always says "Make sure the dishes are clean before you put them in the cabinet. The dishwasher has been having problems lately." They have probably had 7 or 8 dishwashers during that time. They always buy nicer appliances and theirs have always cost much more than mine. Mom has insisted that my dishwashers aren't as good as I think they are and I just don't notice the stuff that's left behind. My dishes are white Corelle and it would be very obvious if there were particles all over them, but she has made me paranoid and I always look things over while I put them away.

I have had 3 dishwashers. All 3 have been Maytags with the food grinder option. We bought one for our first home and took it with us to our second home. We left it there and bought a new one when we moved back into our first home. We bought our 2nd dishwasher and moved to our current home when that dishwasher was 2 years old. We brought the 2nd dishwasher with us to install and DS (<2) unfortunately ripped the control panel right off of it while my dad was here to install it. (We had been having to stop him from slowly trying to peel it off for months and I should have been watching him better that evening.) It would've cost too much to repair. We've had our current 3rd dishwasher for almost 8 years. The Lowes person told me that my current one would grind chicken bones. I definitely haven't tested that out, but I am satisfied with it and have rarely had any issues. We wash dishes every day. We scrape the food off but the only thing I rinse off is tomato-based stuff. The noise doesn't seem loud and doesn't bother us, but we often use the delay option and wash the dishes in the middle of the night to space out the hot water use since the kids have showers in the evening.

We bought a Samsung about a year and a half ago. It did a great job for about a year.

We are awaiting delivery of our Kitchen Aid model (if that gives you any indication of how (dis)satisfied we are with the Samsung. It was too costly to repair it and risk having to repair it again in the not-to-distant future.

My parents were not happy with their Samsung dishwasher or refrigerator and have replaced them both.

We have a Bosch that I have been very happy with for many years (going to know on wood now) - it's very quiet and the controls are simple and hidden. Dishes always come out clean. Not much else you can ask for from a dishwasher.

I echo the dislike of all Samsung appliances. I really hate our fridge - and it was expensive! Ugh.

We have a Kenmore Elite and it does the job, depending on how packed it is and what detergent we use. Wouldn't say that I love it.

One thing we would do differently, get the kind with the buttons on the top of the door. Ours are in front, and they are so sensitive that if anyone leans against the counter the DW comes on.

I did lots of research and ended up with a Whirlpool. It is just ok. Can't say I love or recommend it. DD had to buy a new dishwasher and knew I wasn't crazy about my Whirlpool but bought one anyway. She isn't thrilled either. I wanted a Bosch but luckily took my plates into the store to try them. My FiestaWare were too big to fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter