Does anyone remember the chocolate lollipops at Howard Johnson's?

melk

DIS Veteran
When I was a kid we had a Howard Johnson's restaurant in the area. Whenever we would go my parents would buy us a round chocolate lollipop that had white chocolate on the front with a picture on it. They were right next to the cash register. I used to love them. I haven't thought of them in years and for some reason it popped into my head. Just thought I'd see if anyone else remembers them?:D

Funny you should bring up this as the other day I was in a local Ice cream store and they have banana ice cream and got me thinking about HoJo's. Iused to loeve to get my ice cream there as it always came with a cookie. I also loved to get the Orange Freeze from there too!!

I also remember of seeing the lollipops, insead of getting those I used to get the gum or the life saver type candy they sold>

As a matter of fact I live in the same city in which Howard Johnson was founded in! the factory where all the candy was made is now condos

My parents used to buy me the hojo trucks that they used to sell and I even had a hojo bank. Also the Quincy Historical society have quite a collection of HoJo memorabilia which we have donated a bit too!
Whenever we traveled my parents and I would always stay at a Howard Johnson motel and eat at the restaurant attached!!:D

Sue Z,
That's so interesting. Also, my parents always used to have us stay at a Hojo's! And my mother still remarks on how much she misses their hot dogs, LOL!

Don't recall the lollipops, melk, but do the ice cream, hot dogs and fried clams.......all great!!! Hmmmmmm, I could go for any of the three right now. :)

OMG! My childhood! I remember those and the fried clams too. I used to love going there to eat.

Hi Melk,
I was thinking about the delicious chocolate lollipops from Howard Johnson's. My family used to go there at least once a month. I loved them. They are also a great memory. I don't know why they popped into my head but they did. So I searched online and found your response. I hope you get this message. Now I'm off to try and find them. I hope there's a way. I wonder if they are as delicious as I remember.

I look forward to hearing from you

Don't remember the lollipops, just the fried clams;)

The fried clams and the lollipops!!! Loved them both!!! We would always stop at the one in CT on the Merritt Parkway (I think it was) on our way from NY to MA. We would ALWAYS get the fried clams for lunch or dinner and then a lollipop for dessert.

MJ

Hi Melk, I was thinking about the delicious chocolate lollipops from Howard Johnson's. My family used to go there at least once a month. I loved them. They are also a great memory. I don't know why they popped into my head but they did. So I searched online and found your response. I hope you get this message. Now I'm off to try and find them. I hope there's a way. I wonder if they are as delicious as I remember. I look forward to hearing from you dde03

Wow, I just stumbled on this resurrected thread. I saw the title and clicked on it, forgetting I had started it!

I have never again seen those lollipops, they are now just a fond childhood memory. Please post if you ever find them!

Haha....didn't realize the original date when I posted. Too funny. This really is a zombie thread!!

MJ

Resurrecting the zombie thread, HAHA!
I have never seen the lollipops again either, but remember them well -- flat and round, about a quarter inch thick, milk chocolate with a thin face of white chocolate. And on the white chocolate was an image of an historical place (?) drawn in light brown (milk chocolate again?). My favorite HoJo treat at the restaurant in Hyde Park, NY. :)

But why resurrect a 15 year old zombie thread? And as your first post on a Disney board? I just don't get these sometimes :(

No but then my mother brought up an entire generation of "we don't care/eat chocolate" children courtesy of my oldest sister who was allergic to it. Now you want to talk about strawberry shortcake and I can wax rhapsody, LOL.

My aunt actually worked as a maid in the HoJos hotel attached to the restaurant. We ate there every Friday with her.

Orange freeze- OMG!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid we had a Howard Johnson's restaurant in the area. Whenever we would go my parents would buy us a round chocolate lollipop that had white chocolate on the front with a picture on it. They were right next to the cash register. I used to love them. I haven't thought of them in years and for some reason it popped into my head. Just thought I'd see if anyone else remembers them?:D
I totally remember those lollipops....i thought they were dark on top and white on the bottom the the images were etched into the dark. I remembered them recently and everyone I asked had no idea what I was talking about. My Dad did remembered as well ...prob cause I was such a pest about getting one everytime we were there...or not..lol I remember them being so good. Are there still HJ anywhere in the US the one in my area has been closed forever....like 30+ years. I live on Long Island. I have good memories from back then and its funny how something as little as a chocolate lollipop can make such a lasting impression on me. I am so happy I saw your post...I knew someone had to know what I was talking about!!!

Guess there are enough of us who remember those lollipops to keep this thread going. I loved them. The pictures in the white chocolate side were really intricate and there were usually a big selection to choose from. I usually picked animals. We still have a Howard Johnson hotel in my town in NJ. I grew up with the one in New Hyde Park, NY and the ones we stopped at while heading on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter