Does anyone walk around the Fort?

Sunshine1987

Mouseketeer
I just wondered if it is absolutely necessary to take the internal buses or rent a golf cart? Our family is blessed and we are in good health and reasonably fit. The scenery around the Fort seems like it would be very lovely but I never hear or read about anyone suggesting to walk anywhere at Fort Wilderness! If it is less than a mile, it would only take about 10-15 minutes to walk to the boat launch or main bus depot. I know after a long day at the park another half mile walk is grueling but for the most part, the walk seems like it would be much better than waiting 45 minutes for an internal bus as I have heard many people say they have to. So why don't more people walk to get around Fort Wilderness? Is walking even allowed? :confused3

Walking is definitely allowed, my family walks all over the fort, we have even walked to the outpost rather than wait for a bus and we usually beat the bus there.

Yes, you certainly can walk! And it's a beautiful place for a walk!

That said, the most I've ever waited for an internal bus was 15 minutes, but it's usually 10 or so. Never more than 15.

That's one reason we like the fort...we think the transportation is pretty decent, especially when compared to some of the other resorts where you do wait a long time for buses and they are packed to standing room only when they arrive.

We walked, rode bikes, took the bus. For reference, we were in Loop 300. We walked or rode our bikes to the Marina/Trail Ends/Post. During the daylights hours we even walked to the Meadows. We took the bus to get to and from the outpost and the Campfire Sing-A-Long. We did not have to wait long for the internal bus to run. There was almost always something available...5 minute max... maybe we were lucky. Or maybe it was the way we used them....

We walk and ride bikes :thumbsup2 Like you, OP, we often feel like we can walk faster to places that Disney transportation can get us there. We used to own DVC at the Boardwalk and loved that we could walk to Epcot and MGM...only took one of those Friendship boats once and never again...it was always a game to beat them!

Thanks! It sounds like we can do a little of both without too much hassle. The only day we will be in any "hurry" per se, will be if we decide to go to MK on St. Patricks Day. Then I am in a quandary as to what type of transportation to use (it is a morning EMH); boat, bus, car?

Otherwise we are going to be mellow on this trip! We are looking forward to just relaxing at FW. I just wanted to make sure we would be ok without the golf cart!

Yay!:cheer2:

I just wondered if it is absolutely necessary to take the internal buses or rent a golf cart? Our family is blessed and we are in good health and reasonably fit. The scenery around the Fort seems like it would be very lovely but I never hear or read about anyone suggesting to walk anywhere at Fort Wilderness! If it is less than a mile, it would only take about 10-15 minutes to walk to the boat launch or main bus depot. I know after a long day at the park another half mile walk is grueling but for the most part, the walk seems like it would be much better than waiting 45 minutes for an internal bus as I have heard many people say they have to. So why don't more people walk to get around Fort Wilderness? Is walking even allowed? :confused3

Oh Mama,

You bet walking is allowed. And encouraged with nice sidewalks beside all the Fort's main roads (but not in the loops). We sometimes take the internal buses (like you say maybe at the end of a long park day). I've only rented a cart once because we had some "seasoned citizens" with us on that trip. Internal busses go by every few minutes. Busses to some off-Fort locations like maybe Downtown Disney or Animal Kingdom may have longer intervals (we drive to all those spots off-the-Fort).

Maybe there so much golf cart chatter it masks how nice the walks are (we bring bikes too btw). The only thing is if it's really hot and sweaty outside. But it's very nice especially at dusk and dawn times.

Bama ED:cool2:

And as comedian Steven Wright says "Anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time"!

We walk or take bikes. If we are just going to the Meadows, walking makes more sense. If we are going all the way up to the Marina, we take the bikes. Generally speaking, we are in the 1800 or 1600 loops.

Our favorite mode of transport at the Fort (ha ha; I rhymed!) is biking. We just ride and ride and ride.

We're allowed to walk ?!?!?! Really ?!?!?!

Okay, what if I wanna run ?

I believe that's okay, but if I remember correctly, skipping is pushing it...

We walk and ride our bikes. Usually the only time we take the internal buses is when the weather is bad. It's great to walk and see all the campsites and meet the campers.

In 30 years staying at FW we have never been on a golf cart. Bus, bike or walking for this pair of 60yo RVers.

There have been times when we waited over 15 minutes for an Orange bus but not recently.

We walk almost everywhere we go in the Fort, thought about a cart rental but having it sit all day while we are at the parks seem to be a waste of money to me I ,know alot of folks like to rent carts but for right now seeing we still have good health we'll walk.

We walk all over while we are at the Fort ! We start our mornings walking and end up in the rocking chairs for coffee and a muffin at Trails End !
We walk to TCD we walk to the boats !
I have even walked back from the Contepo after busses stopped one time when I was young and still chasing skirts !
We always stay relatively close 300 loop so everything is an easy walk !!

Thanks! It sounds like we can do a little of both without too much hassle. The only day we will be in any "hurry" per se, will be if we decide to go to MK on St. Patricks Day. Then I am in a quandary as to what type of transportation to use (it is a morning EMH); boat, bus, car?

Otherwise we are going to be mellow on this trip! We are looking forward to just relaxing at FW. I just wanted to make sure we would be ok without the golf cart!

Since you're going in March, the weather will definitely be nice enough for walking. On a hot and humid day in the summer, the air conditioned buses are a lot nicer than hoofing it- but on a mild spring day, walking is fine.

Over time, I have come to realize that the Fort is really not as big as it first seems.

I have made this comparison before.

Would anyone consider it to be a very far walk from the MK boat dock to Space Mountain? Probably not. Folks walk that far and more all the time without a blink of an eye.

If that's so, then why take a bus from Pioneer Hall to the campfire, for example? The distance is equivalent to the the Space Mountain walk (look at the distance boxes):

PioneerHalltoCampfire.jpg

MKentrancetoSM.jpg

And, even if you take the bus, the walk from Pioneer Hall to the Settlement Bus Stop, and from the 800 loop Bus Stop to the campfire area adds up to about .15 mile, so the bus only saves you from walking about 1/3 of a mile. So why not just walk? I would.

As far as transportation to the EMH at the MK, take a boat! The MK boat starts running early on EMH mornings. Or, since you like to walk, the boat to the Contemporary Resort will be running by 6:30 am. Take that boat, and then walk to the MK from the Contemporary. It's easy. :thumbsup2

TCD

We have never rented a cart, we always have our bikes and bike or walk everywhere at the fort, I love my morning bike ride, when it is quiet. Enjoy it truly is a beautiful place.

The only day we will be in any "hurry" per se, will be if we decide to go to MK on St. Patricks Day. Then I am in a quandary as to what type of transportation to use (it is a morning EMH); boat, bus, car?

From FW, to get to MK early, take the first boat out which gets to FW Landing 20-30 minutes before line drop. You will arive at MK at about line drop. If you want to get to MK earlier than that, get to FW Landing about an hour earlier, take the boat to Contemporary, then walk through the Contemporary and take the walk path to MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter