Does DCL ever switch Magic and Wonder’s itineraries?

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
Question for you longtime veterans....does DCL ever send Magic to Alaska or Wonder to Europe? I know they must use the smaller ships for Panama Canal and Europe, but just curious if they ever swap them out. We’d love to do TA/Europe again but wish we could try a different ship besides Magic.

Until they widened the Panama Canal the magic couldn’t fit with her duck tail. They waited for the canal to be done before doing a major dry dock on the wonder so she would continue to fit.

Actually the Magic has done Alaska before, however since the addition of the AquaDunk to the Magic and also her bouyancy compensator (duck tail), and the fact that a portion of the slide extends out past the side of the ship, they couldn't send her through the Canal at that time because the Panama Canal walls, the slide wouldn't fit inbetween the lock walls. So the Wonder was given AK season duties, which also is the reason on subsequent refurbishments of the Wonder they didn't add anything like an AquaDunk type attraction to her. NOW with the new extended Panama Canal locks technically the Magic would fit into the locks and not have any issues, but in 2016 the Wonder got a refit in Cadiz, Spain and part of it was enclosing and extending the Concierge Lounge to allow Concierge passengers to view the inner passage of Alaska in warm comfort and adding a duck tail to here as well, it made her pretty much the primary ship the'll continue to use for the Alaskan Season itineraries. Additionally the Dream & Fantasy were built with masts that are too high to fit under the Bridge of The Americas in the Panama Canal making it impossible for them to send either of those ships through. IF DCL decides to configure and construct the 3 new ships to be able to fit under the Bridge, then is is entirely possible they could eventually send one of them through the Canal, but it isn't likely they'd relegate one of the new Triton's to do Alaska as it would require them to be able to fit into all the AK ports there and some are very small.

Question for you longtime veterans....does DCL ever send Magic to Alaska or Wonder to Europe? I know they must use the smaller ships for Panama Canal and Europe, but just curious if they ever swap them out. We’d love to do TA/Europe again but wish we could try a different ship besides Magic.
I doubt they'll ever switch the Wonder out because it seems perfectly suited to Alaska due to its lack of a major water slide, which obviously is missed less in Alaska than on pretty much any other itinerary. A Dream class ship sailing to Europe would be a dream come true, but so far, DCL hasn't done that. They probably give their oldest ship the most interesting itineraries for a reason: so people will stay motivated to sail her. But upon the debut of the Triton class, especially whenever Titan #2 & 3 come out (if ever), maybe there will be some significant itinerary changes for the Dream class.

I would just love them to switch the Dream and Fantasy so I could give Fantasy a try. Reason being the Caribbean itineraries don't appeal to me.

IF DCL decides to configure and construct the 3 new ships to be able to fit under the Bridge, then is is entirely possible they could eventually send one of them through the Canal, but it isn't likely they'd relegate one of the new Triton's to do Alaska as it would require them to be able to fit into all the AK ports there and some are very small.

Bridge height is an issue, but for the mainstream Alaska cruises that DCL does I do not think the size of ship will be a factor. Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Icy Strait Point can berth multiple large ships and even little Sitka can can have one of the behemoths of the sea port without requiring tenders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter