Does Disney card parents?

I’m mid 50’s with some gray hair. I wish someone would card me lol but never am anymore cause I look old.

I'm almost 50. We don't look old, we just don't look 21. But we still look amazing.
That's a good thing. :)

I do not recall getting carded at any sit-down restaurants. Honestly I don't think at any kiosks either. Two about to be 50 year olds.

Last edited:
I will never understand getting upset about being carded. I am 45 and despite having a streak of gray hair in the front I look a bit younger. I love it when I am carded. I honestly don't understand why someone would be upset about this. Yes it can be a bit annoying to carry your id around but honestly in the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal.

But surely only in rare circumstances would it be required over 30.
No. Around here, many businesses have gone the route of carding everyone regardless of how old/young the person looks. That includes senior citizens down to teens. Makes no difference, that way they can't be accused of any age-bias (such as talked about on this thread: gray hair, bald, with kids, etc.).

You assume people are doing the right thing as the default rather then always assuming everyone is trying to lie and cheat.
While the rules may have stemmed from protecting the business from liars and cheaters -- nobody really looks at it that way. It's simply the policy to card everyone. No assumption involved. Policy. Kind of like "shirt and shoes required" to enter most businesses. Simply a policy of doing business with that establishment. Don't like their policies you can take your business elsewhere -- but around here "elsewhere" may be hard to find because pretty much everyone has the same policy.

And it's not just alcohol purchases -- I can't even buy cold medicine without showing ID.

30 plus year olds getting asked for id? Thats dehumanising.

Dehumanizing?

It is offensive when you get to be middle age and they think that they are being cute in asking for your ID.

I don't think anyone is doing it to be cute.

Every time someone doesn't card you they risk their job if that person is compliance officer.

Yep.

But surely only in rare circumstances would it be required over 30.

I looked like a baby at 21. At 30-something I still looked 21. I'm 53 and my teenaged cousin, who KNOWS me (and should know I'm older than her mom) thought I was in my early 30s when I saw her in February. Meanwhile my now-ex looks older than he is.

carding people with greying hair

My now-ex started greying at 17. A friend of mine in high school WAS grey before she was 17.

Sadly, now all they have to do is see the 19 in the year...

So easy for them now!

No. Around here, many businesses have gone the route of carding everyone regardless of how old/young the person looks. That includes senior citizens down to teens. Makes no difference, that way they can't be accused of any age-bias (such as talked about on this thread: gray hair, bald, with kids, etc.).

While the rules may have stemmed from protecting the business from liars and cheaters -- nobody really looks at it that way. It's simply the policy to card everyone. No assumption involved. Policy. Kind of like "shirt and shoes required" to enter most businesses. Simply a policy of doing business with that establishment. Don't like their policies you can take your business elsewhere -- but around here "elsewhere" may be hard to find because pretty much everyone has the same policy.

And it's not just alcohol purchases -- I can't even buy cold medicine without showing ID.
I had to show ID to buy Elmers rubber cement glue at Target a few months ago. Seriously. Even the cashier was surprised when his register screen prompted to see ID. It was for my kids school project (they had to make a historical figure out of foam balls and a 2 liter plastic bottle 😐)

I had to show ID to buy Elmers rubber cement glue at Target a few months ago. Seriously. Even the cashier was surprised when his register screen prompted to see ID. It was for my kids school project (they had to make a historical figure out of foam balls and a 2 liter plastic bottle 😐)
Yeah rubber cement has been on the list for a while now. Probably depends on the establishment though. A google search shows Walmart has been that way since 2004 or almost 20 years now to be 18 or older (so they will card). That tracks to my recollection as I remember being in high school when cough syrup started being tracked/age limit added and I think rubber cement was also part of it.

I will never understand getting upset about being carded. I am 45 and despite having a streak of gray hair in the front I look a bit younger. I love it when I am carded. I honestly don't understand why someone would be upset about this. Yes it can be a bit annoying to carry your id around but honestly in the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal.
I don't understand how anyone can "love" getting carded, especially in midlife. I know that I don't look anywhere close to being under 21 and having the employee pretend to feed my ego about how young I look is condescending. I have no problem looking my age and I have earned it. Especially when you are carded by someone young enough to be your child.

I don't understand how anyone can "love" getting carded, especially in midlife. I know that I don't look anywhere close to being under 21 and having the employee pretend to feed my ego about how young I look is condescending. I have no problem looking my age and I have earned it. Especially when you are carded by someone young enough to be your child.
I don't find it condescending at all. It is their job to ask. And if they think that they are doing it as a favor fine by me. Again though I am 45 woman with gray streaks in the center of my hair. If asked how old I get - I get anywhere from 35 to 55. I just know that this is part of their job and that is just fine.

Ran into that a couple of weeks ago buying some OTC allergy meds. I had two items and it flagged the self checkout at Wal-Mart. They didn't ask for my ID, they just looked in the bag and waved me through.

Lots of aerosols too like some spray paint.

I can see how its a little harder in the states with a minimum age of 21. But surely only in rare circumstances would it be required over 30.

carding people with greying hair or 9 year olds with them is just demeaning.

I've never felt demeaned. It is the law, not a personal attack on me. And I'm also someone when people guess my age guess about 10 years younger than I am.

I'm almost into my 8th decade and still get asked for ID occasionally, obviously because some policy requires asking everyone. I'm not offended, but I do think it's rather absurd that any business can't trust their servers to recognize ages 50 and over. With as harried as the overworked servers often are, wasting time examining 70 yr old's ID to make sure they are over 21 is just nonsense. Sure, check for people in their 20s and 30s. But it becomes ridiculous and a waste of time asking senior citizens to prove they aren't teenagers; and even worse, having to deny them a drink if they can't produce that proof because it's "policy"

I'm almost into my 8th decade and still get asked for ID occasionally, obviously because some policy requires asking everyone. I'm not offended, but I do think it's rather absurd that any business can't trust their servers to recognize ages 50 and over. With as harried as the overworked servers often are, wasting time examining 70 yr old's ID to make sure they are over 21 is just nonsense. Sure, check for people in their 20s and 30s. But it becomes ridiculous and a waste of time asking senior citizens to prove they aren't teenagers; and even worse, having to deny them a drink if they can't produce that proof because it's "policy"
what about someone trying to look older than their age and yes it happens. plus then there are the ones who need to be carded and complain because older people at next table are not carded. just easier to have a rule to card everyone

Carding everyone is treating everyone equally. More or less. The one area it may not be equal in is the placement of burden on those who don’t drive but requiring a drivers license to do so. For those oc us using wheelchairs, it is a bit of a litteral pain tondig out the ID.

It is easier and more consistent to instruct employees to card everyone. Yes, it removes personal latitude, but protects against bullying. There are real risks to the waiter, the bartender. and the business. In dome jurisdictions, the waiter or bartender can be held legally responsible for serving not of age. The “card everyone” approach helps address that concern.

I don't find it condescending at all. It is their job to ask. And if they think that they are doing it as a favor fine by me. Again though I am 45 woman with gray streaks in the center of my hair. If asked how old I get - I get anywhere from 35 to 55. I just know that this is part of their job and that is just fine.
It is different if they ask everyone, that we all understand. It is the ones that ask 50 year old woman "so they feel good" is what is condescending. I have seen that several times out and about.

I can see how its a little harder in the states with a minimum age of 21. But surely only in rare circumstances would it be required over 30.

carding people with greying hair or 9 year olds with them is just demeaning.

It is the law that everyone is supposed to be carded regardless of how they look or what age you think they are, but it's not done in practice if it's really obvious. However, they certainly can, and it's not uncommon for someone who is new to strictly follow the rules or for a place that's had its hands slapped recently. I've not been carded for absolutely years in WDW, but I'm aware of the fact that it's possible. We were in Taphouse Bar a few years ago, and someone was asked for ID (he was Canadian) and had a driver's license but not a passport so they wouldn't serve him. I ordered at the same time but was not asked for ID as sadly it is all too obvious that I am a few years older than 21. That's when he was told he could go back to his room and get a photo of his passport.

Sadly, now all they have to do is see the 19 in the year...
Ouch. Hurts when you put it that way.

It is different if they ask everyone, that we all understand. It is the ones that ask 50 year old woman "so they feel good" is what is condescending. I have seen that several times out and about.
Still I wouldn't care about that and I am close to that age. I just don't think it is condescending.

I just am sharing with you what Disney's stated rules are.

Bottom line Disney is responsible for verifying age, and with such an international place no way for them to be able to recognize every countries legal ID.

Dehumanizing? Terrible Treatment? 🙄

It is the law in this country to prove you are old enough to purchase alcohol. In many places everyone, even the blue hairs must prove their age. Because they have to card younger people the only fair way to do it is card everyone.

Every time someone doesn't card you they risk their job if that person is compliance officer.

Yes why risk your job or your employer's liquor license and reputation because a stranger doesn't want to show ID? I wouldn't take that kind of chance if it were me. I think the server would take the fall for serving a minor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter