Does Disney have the technology to make every ride have a virtual queue, like ROTR? Do you think that could replace FP?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
It might be better that having a standby line, just get assigned a boarding # and enter the line at your assigned time. Would the logistics work, or just too many visitors at one time?

It might be better that having a standby line, just get assigned a boarding # and enter the line at your assigned time. Would the logistics work, or just too many visitors at one time?
Probably depends a lot on how it was done. Would it be like Das where you could only be in 1 line at a time, would it be like FP where you could hold 3 at 1 time? Would some rides still be standby?
I could see wait times go way up for some things if you looked at virtual queue for popular rides but not things like dumbo, teapots, etc. But if all rides were virtual queue only, would that mean a lot of people were sitting around waiting somewhere to be called. I could see more congestion around the park, though not necessarily at ride lines like they are now. I could also see it being an efficient alternative to standby/fast pass.

Probably depends a lot on how it was done. Would it be like Das where you could only be in 1 line at a time, would it be like FP where you could hold 3 at 1 time? Would some rides still be standby?
I could see wait times go way up for some things if you looked at virtual queue for popular rides but not things like dumbo, teapots, etc. But if all rides were virtual queue only, would that mean a lot of people were sitting around waiting somewhere to be called. I could see more congestion around the park, though not necessarily at ride lines like they are now. I could also see it being an efficient alternative to standby/fast pass.
so in your opinion why do you think they do not have FP right now? If they could still have 3 FP per person per park and still have a stand by line wouldn't that help space people out better?

I think it could be done for select rides in each park. Maxpass is a very interesting system and I hope some part of it gets used with whatever WDW rolls out.

I wouldn’t mind something like this:
Every ticket gets to reserve one VQ and gets to choose another day-of after the first is used. Possibly even 2 in advance but the second would be from low demand Tier 2 rides.
Paid upgrade gets a rolling VQ after the first is used, similar to DL where it has a 2 hr cool down if you haven’t already used it to open another.
Onsite gets an earlier booking window for the first VQ and maybe also like MaxPass, the shorter 90 minute cool down.

How much to pay for the upgrade? Maybe priced by length of ticket where it’s more expensive on shorter tickets and average price per day come down a bit on longer tickets. A guess... $120 on a 3 day ticket, $150 on a 5 day ticket, $175 on a 7 day ticket.

I have absolutely no clue but it’s fun trying to guess. It wouldn’t surprise me to see it twice as expensive as the Park Hopper upgrade. Who knows 🥸

so in your opinion why do you think they do not have FP right now? If they could still have 3 FP per person per park and still have a stand by line wouldn't that help space people out better?

Many fp lines are adjacent to standby, which is a problem right now. Also, standby lines for many rides are already so long they are on walkways. Fastpass would make that worse.

Just wanted to circle back to say…

The reason why I think this works for rise of the resistance is because people are willing to shift around their entire schedule and park days just for that one attraction. I don’t believe there are enough incredibly high demand attractions at each of the other parks to make something like the virtual queue necessary or workable. The closest thing I can think of it recently was flight of passage but that demand has abated some already

Dan

It will be interesting to see if they offer virtual queue/boarding groups for the big headliners that are coming - I'm mostly thinking of Guardians of the Galaxy and Tron.

Likely will see more of this for new attractions, but they can't do it for all. If the guests aren't waiting in line, what would they do?

For example, a park has 8 rides and people wait 1 hour for each. They spend another 4 hours at the park riding, shopping and eating. That is a full day.

Now take away the 8 hours they spend waiting in line and condense it to 1 hour. Now a park day is 5 hours. Not a full day.

You would have to add more attractions, or other activities to kill a lot of time for guests hanging around doing nothing while they wait to ride.

Adding attractions is expensive and it makes more sense to have guests occupied in line.

Obviously there is a balance. Too much time waiting in line makes guests unhappy.

Much has been talked about paying to skip the line, as is done at other parks or with toll roads. Using economics to trade money for time is one way to control lines, but that would be unpopular with many.

Just wanted to circle back to say…

The reason why I think this works for rise of the resistance is because people are willing to shift around their entire schedule and park days just for that one attraction. I don’t believe there are enough incredibly high demand attractions at each of the other parks to make something like the virtual queue necessary or workable. The closest thing I can think of it recently was flight of passage but that demand has abated some already

Dan
Also, Rise doesn’t have a smooth throughput of more traditional rides, and is kind of finicky, so it’s better to limit the guests waiting to how many people they think the ride can handle at any given time

Please no. It is cruel to make someone wake up at 7 am after they have spent so much money on a park ticket, much less a resort too if they are staying on property. And then having to tell your family that you did not get it. Ugh. The worst. I'd much rather do the FP 60-day window thing or even Max Pass like at Disneyland.

The problem isn't the ability for the queues to handle it, the issue is there isn't enough infrastructure to handle people not standing in lines. In other words think about all of the people standing in all of the lines at any one given time. If suddenly all of them were not standing in any lines, where would they all go?

Please no. It is cruel to make someone wake up at 7 am after they have spent so much money on a park ticket, much less a resort too if they are staying on property. And then having to tell your family that you did not get it. Ugh. The worst. I'd much rather do the FP 60-day window thing or even Max Pass like at Disneyland.
You wouldn't need to do that if every attraction were virtual queues, you would just join when you want based on the wait time. Really closer to Maxpass at DL anyway.

No, and the parks are not set up for that. See Volcano Bay. You need large people eaters like a wave pool, lazy River, etc and the theme parks don’t have that.
They used to. They were called Shows, and it is the reason that the parks are crowded with relatively few people in them. Looking at Hollywood Studios alone...

The Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! could handle over 2,000 people per show (basically 2,000 an hour)
The Beauty and The Beast show could handle 1,500
Voyage of the Little Mermaid is about the same, estimating 300 people and three shows an hour.
Jedi Training Academy, while not holding nearly as many people, did probably keep several hundred kids and the parents, siblings, etc. Busy for a while as well.
Then all those various parades, character meet and greets, etc.

Muppet Vision 3D used to handle over 500 people per hour (basically 2,000 an hour), and at least that is still open...

True, not the same a a humongous wave pool, but still something that kept literally thousands of people busy, and that is just one park.

I am truthfully very torn about the fast pass situation. As someone who knew how to work the system, we were always able to use fastpasses to our advantage. then again, not having them has definitely changed the way we do the parks. I am honestly not sure which way is better. in the end, I think you spend the same time, just "differently".

I do feel Disney does need to do "something". I am not sure what, but you need to keep more people busy. If the line for character meet and greets is an hour, you do not have enough of them set up. That is an easier fix, and keeping more people on those lines helps keep people off the other lines.

Adding more rides is certainly a much longer process, but again, the more rides, the more capacity.

Easy for me to say, I am not in that business...

I think the only reason RoR is even still using BG is because of how often it still breaks down, easier to manage the lines when they can just hold off calling the next BG till it’s fixed. That’s what I read somewhere, not sure if that’s the reason or not. But just think how crowded the walkways would be if everything was a virtual wait!

I think the only reason RoR is even still using BG is because of how often it still breaks down, easier to manage the lines when they can just hold off calling the next BG till it’s fixed. That’s what I read somewhere, not sure if that’s the reason or not. But just think how crowded the walkways would be if everything was a virtual wait!

I think there's more truth to this than any other explanation. We went a few weeks after it opened and it broke down multiple times throughout the day. Despite having a fairly 'early' BG we didn't end up riding until after 7pm after having left the park for dinner at Ohana and coming back when our BG finally got called after it was fixed. Well worth the experience, but super frustrating.

In my opinion, the VQ for Rise of the Resistance is a dumpster fire that has led to a huge amount of guest dissatisfaction. You practically need a PhD in ROTR Boarding Passes in order to score one at 7:00:00 on the button. The average guest walks into Hollywood Studios having no idea they can't ride it, or that they needed to be up early that morning with the fastest internet and phone possible in order to get a chance. I understand it was originally in place to prevent 7 hour line ups to ride, but the fact that it's still in place 16 months after opening is a major screw up by Disney.

I've seen savvy vloggers who have ridden ROTR a hundred times already because they are experts on the system, while many a once-in-a-lifetime guest never got the chance to ride it at all. This could be easily solved by making guests stand in an actual queue to ride. It prevents people from riding 5 times in a week, and gives everyone an equal playing field to experience it.

I don't understand why anyone would prefer this system, let alone want it to be expanded to more rides.

If Disney makes me pay thousands of dollars for a vacation that is essentially a lottery system, I'm out. Way too stressful. I'll go enjoy a cruise on the Mediterranean for the same price, thank you very much.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter