Does DVC ever upgrade for free?

We have only been DVC members since last year, I was just thinking - sometimes when you book a hotel they occasionally will upgrade you on arrival to a better view or room - does this ever happen when booking via DVC or do you generally get what you book?
Oops--Admins--can you please delete this?

Last edited:
We have been members for about 25 years. We have never been upgraded, even though we have booked close to 100 DVC trips for ourselves and family and friends. Upgrades are almost never given gratuitously--only when there is some kind of problem with providing the room that was booked.

Last week we got upgraded "views". I booked a standard studio at Riviera for the night before our cruise and was given a preferred view. When we got back to BLT after the cruise, we were given a lake view 1 bedroom instead of the standard view 1 bedroom. The only downside was that it was HA which made the kitchen a little harder to use and I didn't have a walk in shower in the master bathroom. The water pressure in that tub/shower combo was terrible and I used the front shower instead.
I was at AKV Jambo House over Veteran's Day weekend (Friday-Wednesday) and we had something similar happen. I had booked a 1-bedroom standard view, but the room we got definitely had a view of the Savannah. It might have been a reclassified room because it wasn't a GREAT savannah view, but we still saw a lot of animals. We were originally scheduled to arrive around 2pm but we were really exhausted and around noon asked if we could get our room early and they were very kind to accommodate us.

I was at AKV Jambo House over Veteran's Day weekend (Friday-Wednesday) and we had something similar happen. I had booked a 1-bedroom standard view, but the room we got definitely had a view of the Savannah. It might have been a reclassified room because it wasn't a GREAT savannah view, but we still saw a lot of animals. We were originally scheduled to arrive around 2pm but we were really exhausted and around noon asked if we could get our room early and they were very kind to accommodate us.
The two possibilities w/ Jambo standard views are pool or ‘lesser’ savanna view & there are more standard views that overlook savannas than overlook the pool, so you likely did get one of the standards w/ a savanna view at Jambo.

I’ve read plenty of reviews/comments from those that have been upgraded. I have personally never gotten one.

During the SSR refurb I was moved over to Congress when I had been booked in a standard room. Happened twice but only during that time they had inventory issues as they were redoing rooms.

I was upgraded on a 2 night stay at CCV (1/2/23 - 1/4/23) from a 1BR to a 2BR. Used online check-in and went directly to the room. Didn't realize it was a 2BR until I entered the room.

Once we had booked a four night trip. Only last three nights available in a one bedroom so we booked the first night in a studio. During check in we simply asked if it would be possible to get the first night in a one bedroom and they were able to make it happen. They never even mentioned the point difference.

Once we had booked a four night trip. Only last three nights available in a one bedroom so we booked the first night in a studio. During check in we simply asked if it would be possible to get the first night in a one bedroom and they were able to make it happen. They never even mentioned the point difference.
There have been reports of people simply asking, being upgraded but being charged the points without it being discussed as a possibility. If I wee going to ask for an upgrade, I'd either expect to pay the points difference OR at least make sure I understand what the ramifications are.

Had bwv standard once. Ther gave us pool/garden. It was so nice. 3/4 yrs ago.

Had BWV standard. They assigned me pool garden. As soon as I opened the door I went back to the desk. It was the old style HA room with the drive in shower and the tan shower curtain. It was also 2nd room away from the elevator.

Went back to the desk and asked to be reassigned. Those were the rooms where the bath floor would be wet your whole trip. Some may have loved the location but I preferred a tennis court area room.

Upgrades would be nice, but there is really no reason for DVC to upgrade anyone. Hotels (Marriott, for example) give upgrades because they are competing for your business with other hotels. That’s why hotels have tiered loyalty programs, so the more you stay at a particular hotel chain the more benefits (including upgrades) you get.

DVC, on the other hand, already has your money. Owners are locked in for their future stays. To go even further, not upgrading people could entice those owners to buy more points. For example, if someone only owns enough points for studio stays but really would prefer 1BR stays then that owner stands a higher chance of buying more points. However, if that owner is occasionally upgraded to 1BR stays (or even different views) then the owner may elect to not purchase more points and instead hold out for upgrades.

It doesn’t make DVC bad because they don’t upgrade often. It makes sense.

In Dec 2022 at our visit to BRV we had a one BR reserved since the 11 month mark but they wanted to move us when we were checking in. Bottom line was they moved us into a brand new refurbished 2 BR

Had BWV standard. They assigned me pool garden. As soon as I opened the door I went back to the desk. It was the old style HA room with the drive in shower and the tan shower curtain. It was also 2nd room away from the elevator.

Went back to the desk and asked to be reassigned. Those were the rooms where the bath floor would be wet your whole trip. Some may have loved the location but I preferred a tennis court area room.
I've been in that room twice. It was an EXCELLENT room except for the shower and we just brought in pool towels to sop up the water. It was close to the lobby and it overlooked the back of Leaping Libations. We too were upgraded to it from a standard view.

I've been in that room twice. It was an EXCELLENT room except for the shower and we just brought in pool towels to sop up the water. It was close to the lobby and it overlooked the back of Leaping Libations. We too were upgraded to it from a standard view.

My preferred location and I'm sure it differs for many, is the tennis court area.
I almost always have a car, so it's closer to parking, for me.

I tend to drive elsewhere quite often while on Disney property, although I do go to the parks. I'm rarely in the lobby. If I want a bus, I go out one of the back doors.

Also, I enjoy walking while in Florida in winter as it's mostly milder than home.

I'm happy you posted because now I don't feel bad about refusing the room as I know others appreciate the location much more than I.

My preferred location and I'm sure it differs for many, is the tennis court area.
I almost always have a car, so it's closer to parking, for me.

I tend to drive elsewhere quite often while on Disney property, although I do go to the parks. I'm rarely in the lobby. If I want a bus, I go out one of the back doors.

Also, I enjoy walking while in Florida in winter as it's mostly milder than home.

I'm happy you posted because now I don't feel bad about refusing the room as I know others appreciate the location much more than I.
Well ... someone has to take those rooms. None of us prefer a HA room, despite the location. You just kicked the can down to someone else.

Have a Savannah view villa at Jambo house coming up. Are there any rooms or areas that we should request? Thanks!

Upgrades would be nice, but there is really no reason for DVC to upgrade anyone. Hotels (Marriott, for example) give upgrades because they are competing for your business with other hotels. That’s why hotels have tiered loyalty programs, so the more you stay at a particular hotel chain the more benefits (including upgrades) you get.

DVC, on the other hand, already has your money. Owners are locked in for their future stays. To go even further, not upgrading people could entice those owners to buy more points. For example, if someone only owns enough points for studio stays but really would prefer 1BR stays then that owner stands a higher chance of buying more points. However, if that owner is occasionally upgraded to 1BR stays (or even different views) then the owner may elect to not purchase more points and instead hold out for upgrades.

It doesn’t make DVC bad because they don’t upgrade often. It makes sense.

There is ONE reason to upgrade - they have rooms out of service and need to shuffle people around. But, as people learned with the BWV refurb delays - that situation doesn't always result in an "upgrade."

They don't overbook - a lot of the "upgrades" for hotels and cruise ships are selling out the low cost rooms, then they bump people that have booked lower cost rooms up and sell more lower cost rooms - that doesn't happen with timeshares - it does happen a lot with cruise ships.

We have only been DVC members since last year, I was just thinking - sometimes when you book a hotel they occasionally will upgrade you on arrival to a better view or room - does this ever happen when booking via DVC or do you generally get what you book?
Not in my experience! 🤷🏻‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter