Does (Store-Bought) Salsa Go Bad?

I think you can but you're not supposed to put utensil in more than once... so you get knife full and spread on bread and can't stick knife back in.

Yeah, the odds of getting everyone in our house to do that 100% of the time are not high enough to take a risk. There's plenty of room in the fridge anyway, so why risk it?

You guys realize that, in general, if you buy something off the shelf at the grocery store (viz, not refrigerated), you don't have to refrigerate it after opening it, right? Europeans and Australians are downright appalled that Americans refrigerate their mayonnaise.
Even if the label says to refrigerate it after opening?
Hellman's
img_4437.jpg

Miracle Whip
7367688554_5000f35fa2_b.jpg

I've thought about getting one. :scratchin Does it actually keep the butter cooler than room temperature?
Yes, you just change the cold water in it daily. It stays firm but easily spreadable. Since it is slightly cooler than room temp and since it is sealed by the water, it doesn't get that oily sheen or start to sweat & separate as butter left out for a long time may do.

If it contains tomato sauce, it can go bad. The worst case of food poisoning I've ever had came from eating Pace Picante Sauce. It was in the refrigerator, but had been open for a couple of weeks. Bad!

My mother-in-law refrigerates her butter. She'll serve us biscuits and a rock-hard chunk of butter to spread on them, which does nothing but tear your biscuits apart when you try to spread it. Thanks, Judy. Thanks a lot.

Cheese grater. Or, there's a butter knife on Amazon for $19.99 designed to heat the blade by the used grasping the handle. Heat transference or something.

The other day, I ate some salsa that had been open but untouched in the fridge for several months. It tasted a little off so I've since thrown it out - but no mold, no intestinal distress.

My mother-in-law refrigerates her butter. She'll serve us biscuits and a rock-hard chunk of butter to spread on them, which does nothing but tear your biscuits apart when you try to spread it. Thanks, Judy. Thanks a lot.

Why don't you volunteer to microwave the butter for a few seconds for everyone? I'm sure she's not trying to tear up your bread on purpose.

I'm eating out of a jar of salsa that was opened at least a week ago, and has been sitting out on our counter. Mrs. Homie swears I'm going to get sick. It tastes just fine, and heck, there's so much vinegar in here I'd say it will probably be good for another week, if not longer.

What say you?

I would 'never' leave it unrefrigerated and then eat it! Supposed to always be in the refrigerator after opening.

You guys realize that, in general, if you buy something off the shelf at the grocery store (viz, not refrigerated), you don't have to refrigerate it after opening it, right? Europeans and Australians are downright appalled that Americans refrigerate their mayonnaise.

Nope, I do not realize that, and would never 'not' refrigerate after opening - not worth the risk in my house!

Yeah it cna go bad especially once opened then not refrigerated.

The thing here is that once you refrigerate something (eggs and butter) it has to been refrigerated so while you can keep farm fresh eggs and butter on your counter once you refrigerate it for transportation and stock then it has to be kept that way because sweating and the temperature changes are what leads to the bacteria growth.

I would never think of not putting mayo in the fridge after it's been opened.

Yeah it cna go bad especially once opened then not refrigerated.

The thing here is that once you refrigerate something (eggs and butter) it has to been refrigerated so while you can keep farm fresh eggs and butter on your counter once you refrigerate it for transportation and stock then it has to be kept that way because sweating and the temperature changes are what leads to the bacteria growth.
:confused: I don't get this. Sure, say the stuff was refrigerated at the store. The hour or so it spends in my cart/car warms it up to room temperature. Leaving it out on my counter at home doesn't contribute to any further temperature changes or condensation.

:confused: I don't get this. Sure, say the stuff was refrigerated at the store. The hour or so it spends in my cart/car warms it up to room temperature. Leaving it out on my counter at home doesn't contribute to any further temperature changes or condensation.

I don't know the exact timing or anything but since eggs are washed/scrubebd and misted with chlorine then refrigerated the longer they are out of the chill of refridgeration the more likely the salmonella is able to grow.

Bah. Those labels are just there to satisfy the FDA. The Man is keeping the condiments industry down.

I think I have to agree with you here (just a bit). I read an article recently about the FDA possibly changing the standards on food code dating due to the amount of food that gets wasted and ends up in the trash though it is still good to eat. Some items with sell by dates boggle my mind because I know they will still be good long beyond those dates. For example, dry spices, flour, bottled water, vacuum packaged dry goods, etc.

I think I have to agree with you here (just a bit). I read an article recently about the FDA possibly changing the standards on food code dating due to the amount of food that gets wasted and ends up in the trash though it is still good to eat. Some items with sell by dates boggle my mind because I know they will still be good long beyond those dates. For example, dry spices, flour, bottled water, vacuum packaged dry goods, etc.

Dry spices don't go bad (well maybe, but it would likely take years), but they do lose their flavor after a number of months. Bottled water should, theoretically, be good for all eternity (unless my knowledge of chemistry/microbiology is sorely lacking), as should vacuum-packed dry goods.

If you'll eat pizza after your cats have nibbled on it, I wouldn't be worrying about the salsa getting you.

The salsa probably has a bunch of "not food" stuff in it that would prevent it from going bad in the fridge. We used to keep butter in the cupboard so we'd always have soft butter on hand. We did this for years and we had no problems. Because we eat less butter now we keep it in the fridge and use the microwave to soften it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter