Does the new Genie+ pay-per-attraction system alter your views on DVC's value?

I hate the idea of the IAS, but sheesh I do hope if you don’t get ROTR next time, that you can at least buy into it. 0/8 is terrible luck. I’m 2 for 3 but it’s extremely stressful. The ride broke down on us and we didn’t get a reride the first time! It is luck too because I got denied the one time SO QUICKLY and the person sitting next to us on the bench a good 30 seconds later was like “oooh boarding group 5.” I was pretty annoyed.

It was soooo frustrating! I actually did get to ride it in January, so for me, it was no big deal, but all of the people I went with in June and then in July wanted to ride it as they won't be back for a long time. I was disappointed for all of them. We had 4 of us trying for it in June and 3 of us in July...they were gone in seconds.

So, yeah, next time I take someone who really wants to ride it, I hope I get a chance to pay!!! LOL

I wouldn't be surprised if on at least one occasion you didn't get a boarding pass is because someone was using a cell phone jamming app to block like all iPhones so they can use an android to get a boarding pass or block all androids and use a iPhone to get a boarding pass. Cuts the competition in half.

Well, we had both Iphones and Androids trying each trip and we still didn't get it. I am always up early at Disney so it wasn't a big deal but for my guests, oh man...they hated having to be up and ready to hit join at 7 am!! LOL

Again, I am hoping my luck is better end of October because all 3 guests I am bringing have it at the top of their list. UGGGG!!!

I hate the idea of the IAS, but sheesh I do hope if you don’t get ROTR next time, that you can at least buy into it. 0/8 is terrible luck. I’m 2 for 3 but it’s extremely stressful.
It's a little crazy to me that they don't do some sort of time-based cap and/or a length-of-stay guarantee for on-site guests.

Trying to snag a Rise BG for the 3rd time this week? No way, man, let somebody else have a turn!

or

Staying for 5 nights or more? We guarantee 1 BG to Rise or Remy!

It's a little crazy to me that they don't do some sort of time-based cap and/or a length-of-stay guarantee for on-site guests.

Trying to snag a Rise BG for the 3rd time this week? No way, man, let somebody else have a turn!

or

Staying for 5 nights or more? We guarantee 1 BG to Rise or Remy!

I think that would be a great idea!!! Even if it is the paid option, getting a guarantee for 1 per trip would be nice! Okay, now I am derailing the thread based on my poor success with ROTR!

I agree that we "bought a timeshare and nothing more", but and a big but is that many of us bought the timeshare at Disney World because of the theme parks. The value of DVC is tied to the theme parks. If the parks lose their appeal then how many people will want to buy DVC? We have owned for over 17 years and have seen many changes and perks lost, all lost; I can't think of something new that was better. We are thinking of selling a contract. For us, why go to Orlando if Disney just keeps getting more annoying.

What did you loose? When we bought, there was a small discount for merchandise and some dining discounts. We have way more now than then.

As to the parks, Fastpass and ticket prices over the years have all changed, this is no different. Honestly I just think people love to complain about Disney but the parks are busy. Will that change, I doubt it. Some will stop, others will go, it evens out. Even Walt, talked about change: "Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious … and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
If we ever get where we don't enjoy going, we will go to Hilton Head and be happy as can be. YMMYV

Last edited:
What did you loose? When we bought, there was a small discount for merchandise and some dining discounts. We have way more now than then.

As to the parks, Fastpass and ticket prices over the years have all changed, this is no different. Honestly I just think people love to complain about Disney but the parks are busy. Will that change, I doubt it. Some will stop, others will go, it evens out. Even Walt, talked about change: "Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious … and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
If we ever get where we don't enjoy going, we will go to Hilton Head and be happy as can be. YMMYV

What did we lose?

We lost Magical Express, lots of resorts for pool hopping, the small band in the VGF lobby, which we loved, free package delivery, free stroller drop off, free valet service, airline check in and bag drop-off, the change to resale for Riviera, and there are probably others. I'm curious as to the new perks we have associated with DVC. I can't think of any except making reservations online, and that's a normal progression.

Granted, everyone's experience will be different, and people will keep buying DVC , but over my past 17 years, this year, with the changes to Fastpass+ the impact is being felt more strongly. I loved going to Disney; I would plan months out and be as excited as a little kid. My grandkids are coming of age to really enjoy Disney, and we were looking forward to bringing them for years to come, but I don't know, we may be getting priced out. With the latest implementations, that special feeling is waning. As the title is asking about the value of DVC, I think the changes to the theme parks could have a negative impact on DVC. I warn people away from buying DVC where as a few years ago I thought it was the best thing out there. From all the YouTube videos and comments on here, there are a lot of people very unhappy with the direction Disney is taking. And I very much doubt Walt would think this is a good path.

What did we lose?

We lost Magical Express, lots of resorts for pool hopping, the small band in the VGF lobby, which we loved, free package delivery, free stroller drop off, free valet service, airline check in and bag drop-off, the change to resale for Riviera, and there are probably others. I'm curious as to the new perks we have associated with DVC. I can't think of any except making reservations online, and that's a normal progression.

Granted, everyone's experience will be different, and people will keep buying DVC , but over my past 17 years, this year, with the changes to Fastpass+ the impact is being felt more strongly. I loved going to Disney; I would plan months out and be as excited as a little kid. My grandkids are coming of age to really enjoy Disney, and we were looking forward to bringing them for years to come, but I don't know, we may be getting priced out. With the latest implementations, that special feeling is waning. As the title is asking about the value of DVC, I think the changes to the theme parks could have a negative impact on DVC. I warn people away from buying DVC where as a few years ago I thought it was the best thing out there. From all the YouTube videos and comments on here, there are a lot of people very unhappy with the direction Disney is taking. And I very much doubt Walt would think this is a good path.

We gained the dvc parties....which are a great perk...big IF you are able to take advantage of them.

What did we lose?

Many of those; DME, Luggage Service, package delivery, airline check-in; were not DVC specific, but were provided to all onsite guests. Unless they see a drop in people willing to pay for expensive onsite rooms, things won't change. I doubt anything will change for now, at least until after the 50th anniversary is over and crowds die down for that celebration.

It's a lot of hits in one very short time period. I think if this was spread out longer, there'd be less outcry. Just because we all did only buy a timeshare (I agree with you), if the place the timeshare is located feels lesss magical overall (perceived or real), it is going to affect how people feel about DVC.

For us personally, we know DVC is still saving us a ton on rooms (and that is all we bought), but we are starting to feel nickle and dimed elsewhere on G+, APs, etc. We can still feel DVC is a huge value to us, but feel like overall WDW is not.

Buying into DVC was buying into Disney-then and now. Of course it is. There’s a ton of timeshares around orlando/central Florida that anyone can buy into but for many of us who bought DVC, the parks and being on property was the main draw. Vacationing inside the magic and all that. Any timeshare saves money on room rates.
Therefore, it does feel as if owning DVC is of less value when so much is either no longer available or there are constant price increases. Let’s remember MF go up every year, as well as the price per point increase. Jmho

What did we lose?

As Chuck said most are not DVC decisions.
Magical Express, was never free, it was built into the cost of the room. I have a feeling Mears raised the price on that too.
Pool hopping is one of the worst perks ever as it's not fair to pool hop to say SSR but they can't hop to BCV and many others.
I do miss the band, hopefully it will come back.
Package delivery was so over used it is only fair to charge for it than put that cost to everyone that does not use it. As long as they offer it, I am fine with paying for it. (is this package resort to room or park to resort)
You can still have free stroller drop off.
Valet service was stopped by Mears. They wanted more to do it and DVC made a fair decision that rather than charge everyone charge those using it.
Airline check in, never understood the need for this, we check in using our app.
Change to resale. Resale is in direct competition to DVC. We should all want that controlled.
My point is, what makes you happy does not bother others.
As to Walt, read some books about him, there is also a fabulous documentary. He was a shrewd businessman that was hated by many that worked for him. He was not the benevolent Uncle Walt that many think he was.
As to how many are unhappy, I think it's the vocal minority and if not Disney will soon find that out and changes will be made.
As to warning people away from DVC as my original post said, I never advise anyone to buy DVC for more than what we pay for, a discounted room. Based on what a 2 bedroom costs now. I am thrilled I have mine.

Last edited:
Package delivery was so over used it is only fair to charge for it than put that cost to everyone that does not use it.
But another way to look at pkg delivery from the parks to resorts is that I won't be spending as much in the parks, as I don't want to have to carry stuff around all day. I used to buy things, like T-shirts, which were often location specific, when they caught my eye and send them back to the room. I won't do that as much if I have to carry them around.

I do use grocery delivery services, and paying for those deliveries via bell services doesn't bother me, they are worth it

I really liked the airport luggage service. And I'd pay for that, if it was available. I did tip appropriately when dropping off luggage for the airport return. Again, worth it to me not to have to worry about luggage retrieval to/from airport if using the bus. When renting a car, I'd tote my own.

But another way to look at pkg delivery from the parks to resorts is that I won't be spending as much in the parks, as I don't want to have to carry stuff around all day. I used to buy things, like T-shirts, which were often location specific, when they caught my eye and send them back to the room. I won't do that as much if I have to carry them around.

I do use grocery delivery services, and paying for those deliveries via bell services doesn't bother me, they are worth it

I really liked the airport luggage service. And I'd pay for that, if it was available. I did tip appropriately when dropping off luggage for the airport return. Again, worth it to me not to have to worry about luggage retrieval to/from airport if using the bus. When renting a car, I'd tote my own.

I will say I have not been since park to resort package delivery was not available. I did use it, but could this be a staff issue. I would gladly pay for that. I just think much of this is a Pandemic staffing issue that only time will tell.

And I know everyone's mileage varies. I lost my mother and my mother in law during the Pandemic, and all of this to me is small stuff.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if on at least one occasion you didn't get a boarding pass is because someone was using a cell phone jamming app to block like all iPhones so they can use an android to get a boarding pass or block all androids and use a iPhone to get a boarding pass. Cuts the competition in half.
I don't even have a clue, but lawd have mercy.

I will say I have not been since park to resort package delivery was not available. I did use it, but could this be a staff issue. I would gladly pay for that. I just think much of this is a Pandemic staffing issue that only time will tell.

And I know everyone's mileage varies. I lost my mother and my mother during the Pandemic, and all of this to me is small stuff.
That is what I am thinking on the park to resort packages, that it is a staffing issue. I hope it isn't a permanent change. Everything else, though costing more $, is workable, just not as convenient.

You can only book next available return time, not select a slot into the future (BOO! having choice of return time made planning easier whether you were doing it 60 days out or on the day-of)
This. My husband and teenage boys are NOT morning people (I am). I don’t mind getting up at 7am to book our Fastpasses - errr, Lightning Lane passes - if I could select early afternoon times that work for our family. But now I don’t actually know what time I could grab times that work. Is it 7am? 10am? If I wait till anyone awakens will there be anything left?

True, some of my leases (I'm a residential landlord) have already been renewed at a higher rate about 7% above where they were. This is mostly due to increases in costs of taxes. Both tax rates and property valuations have increased very dramatically here during the last 18 months. Of course, insurance has increased too, but at a much lower rate than the taxes. That said, Texas, like Florida, has no state income tax, everything is property and sales tax.

Disney is riding high right now on the 50th Anniversary. It will be interesting to see what happens after.
I follow the residential rentals and it’s shocking how much rent is increasing. I feel bad for the tenants but it is predictable.
I think Inflation and disneys poor management decisions are going to hit them hard next year. I’ve never read so many negative disney reviews on TripAdvisor. The public’s new perception of Disney has me concerned about my DVC investment. I bought most of my points at $57 so it’s all good. The only positive from Disneys new management team might be less crowds.

I’ve never read so many negative disney reviews on TripAdvisor. The public’s new perception of Disney has me concerned about my DVC investment. I bought most of my points at $57 so it’s all good. The only positive from Disneys new management team might be less crowds.

And yet the WDC stock price is over $180 per share.

And yet the WDC stock price is over $180 per share.

Except everyone forgets that Wall Street cares about the next 1/3/6/12/15 months they don't care as much about 10 years from now. Said this before but the company is being run for the wall street person who wants to sell their stock in the next 5 years.

Numbers will look up short term because people are going back. It will be seen how many last trips will occur in the next couple years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter