Does the new Genie+ pay-per-attraction system alter your views on DVC's value?

It that for a week, month or the year?
It is for a day. But it is different for Genie+. There are a few rides excluded (Harry Potter), but for all the others it is an "unlimited Lightning Lane". You just walk up to any "fast pass" que at any time and you can go in. No "one open" at a time. No "next available LL" for a ride. It is like having an unlimited supply of the "usable on any attraction any time of day, except SDD, 7DMR...." fast passes. You just walk up, flash the card, and enter the "fast pass" line.

It is for a day. But it is different for Genie+. There are a few rides excluded (Harry Potter), but for all the others it is an "unlimited Lightning Lane". You just walk up to any "fast pass" que at any time and you can go in. No "one open" at a time. No "next available LL" for a ride. It is like having an unlimited supply of the "usable on any attraction any time of day, except SDD, 7DMR...." fast passes. You just walk up, flash the card, and enter the "fast pass" line.

Yes, the Universal product is different but it is still the only way to shorten the line times, or by staying in one of their high end hotels. I feel like $15 for Genie+ is a lot less than they could gotten away with charging. I will happily spend a few extra dollars for a better experience. And if the majority of guests are actually turned away by the price point, that makes it all the better for the ones paying the $15.

And if the majority of guests are actually turned away by the price point, that makes it all the better for the ones paying the $15.
Yes. We don't mind a small splurge if it improves our experience, and we probably won't even bother for AK or EP. If the parks are operating where many people don't feel the need to pay extra for Genie+, that's going to be a positive for all.

Universal Express pass is $70 / ticket…
It that for a week, month or the year?
That's per day, but not all days. In this coming November, the EP cost ranges from $120-180 - which is why my sister and I have booked one of their deluxe hotels. A night there is cheaper than EPs for both of us those two days.

That‘s my point, in comparison to what Universal charges, $15 for Genie+ doesn’t seem bad to me. I will admit that having certain rides unavailable for Genie+ is a little disappointing.

Though last January when we were waiting in the freezing cold for ROTR at 5am, I think I would’ve happily paid extra to sleep in and show up at a normal time. Might be helpful in certain situations.

If you stay at Universal hotel and get the EP included, how many do you get? Say 2 adults and 2 kids in the room? Do you get 4 passes?

My concern about the bonus night hours is that the rides stay open as long as you got in line before closing so unless it’s three hours of extra time the big attractions are still going to have long waits for at least the first hour of extra deluxe resort time. It says hours so I’m thinking it will be 2 extra hours which is probably what it takes to clear the park now after closing.

But it will be the same for extra hours, As long as you are in line by the end of hour 2, you will ride.

For us, we will probably not get in line for the big ones until the first hour is up when at that point its only deluxe guests. We shall see in aOctober what it is like in practice when they start.

If you stay at Universal hotel and get the EP included, how many do you get? Say 2 adults and 2 kids in the room? Do you get 4 passes?
Yes, you get them for all 4 people with deluxe hotel stay. You also get them for 2 days for each night booked(check in day & check out day), so for a family of 4, it is really 8 express passes.

Yes, everyone registered in the room gets EPs for length of stay, including checkin and checkout days and any days in between. Do the math (also include parking, which at the hotel is per night but if driving in would be per day), and you’ll likely find it’s worthwhile. This will actually be the first time we plan to sleep at the hotel - we’ve had timeshare reservations the other two times. Be aware that the cost of EPs varies by day, so you need to look them up on the UOR website.

So a $280 room for 1 night gets you 8 passes that would have been $70 each.
Might be - depends on which resort and which night. I only check when I’m planning a specific trip, so I don’t know what the prices are all year. And this is only for the three deluxe resorts - Hard Rock, Portofino Bay, Royal Pacific.

I still think I will enjoy my DVC trips. I just might do more Resort only stays. Which for me will be less money going to Disney as my kids won't be wanting all of the stuff they see in the parks :)
...but won't your kids be bugging you to go to the parks? I get the value of the DVC rooms, I'd never have paid cash prices to stay there, and I love my home resorts. But if I'm not going to the parks, why would I stay in the middle of Orlando when I could go to the beach and rent a condo for much less than a few Disney parks tickets? Even staying at DVC resorts and going to Sea World or Universal is pretty inconvenient without a car.
I'm prepared to wait and see how this pans out. I feel this way every time they throw us a curve ball.

How the new system will change our view on value of our vacations for the cost only time will tell. One thing I remember for a few years after 9/11. There was a fair amount of DVC members mostly early buyers spent less time in the parks after the kids were grown and gone. WDW did not offer annual pass discounts to DVC. The park crowd were down for a few years. Then they offered annual pass discounts to DVC. Disney will be watching how all folks change how they vacation. If the parks are still very crowded I could see the price increase like always from Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter