Does time of day check-in time influence AKL upgrade?

Canadian Girl

DIS Veteran
We will be arriving mid-evening. Will that mean we will have less chance of an up-grade from our standard room? Is the second week of November a less crowded time of year? I am thrilled to be going there regardless but an upgrade would be great.

Canadian Girl said:
We will be arriving mid-evening. Will that mean we will have less chance of an up-grade from our standard room? Is the second week of November a less crowded time of year? I am thrilled to be going there regardless but an upgrade would be great.

The time of day, year, or regular check-in vs online check-in has no difference of the rare cases of upgrades that are free. In the rarity that you get an upgrade, it will be done at the convenience of the resort and you have no control over it.

Expecting an upgrade and not getting one sets up your vacation for failure IMHO.

Asking for a free upgrade for something someone has already paid for most likely will get a resposne from the CM that will quote you the price to upgrade and you will have to decide if itiis worth it to you.

Disney has gotten very savvy the last few years and added lots of booking categories that people are more than willing to pay for it.

If you want to upgrade, I suggest checking put discounts that might allow you to upgrade to another category other than standard.

Upgrades rarely happen. If you want a better room, pay for it.

I am happy regardless. The reason I asked is that we stayed there one night after a cruise with a very early check-in and got upgraded. I just wasn't sure when rooms were assigned, when you arrive or before that. Our trip will only be four nights, the first with a later arrival.

We have been to WDW & stayed at an on property hotel 10+ times & have NEVER been upgraded. Of course I have always booked what I would be happy with and have always been happy with what I have gotten. And I've checked in at all different times of day.

In fact on our last trip, and our first time DVC, I felt like we were downgraded. I booked a Concierge 1 bedroom suite at AKLV Jambo, which is supposed to have a whirlpool tub. When we got to the room it turned out they had given us a handicap room which came with a roll-in shower & NO tub. I was counting on having the whirlpool to ease our aching muscles at the end of the day.

Canadian Girl said:
I am happy regardless. The reason I asked is that we stayed there one night after a cruise with a very early check-in and got upgraded. I just wasn't sure when rooms were assigned, when you arrive or before that. Our trip will only be four nights, the first with a later arrival.

It is very easy to upgrade for one night, if someone has checked out a bit early and again at the convenience of the resort, it is easier to give you that room in lieu of the room that is assigned 3 to 5 days before you check-in.

Any longer than that, there is little reason to upgrade you unless there is overbooking, etc.

People ask the question a million different ways, but ultimately you asking for something people have paid for.

Just accept that you are not going to be upgraded. Don't wonder about it, don't hope for it/ Then you wn't be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

In answer to your question - the time of day that you check in has pretty well nothing to do with it. After going to WDW for over 30 years, the only time we were upgraded was when there was a problem with our room. It was in the wee hours of the morning and we didn't actually get to our room until it was time to check in for the next day. We got no sleep that night, so I figure we paid for that upgrade in lost vacation time and rest!

Moral of the story, upgrades usually happen when the resort has a problem and you are 'lucky'. Personally i agree with PP's that you need to book what you want. Any upgrade thoughts can lead to disappointment 999 times out of 1000.

Before they converted the fifth and sixth floors to DVC villas, I think upgrades were a little more likely. But with DVC taking two floors, there are fewer rooms to upgrade to. DVC villas are more than likely booked.

I really don't expect anything but was noticing upgrades don't seem to be that uncommon at AKL. We usually stay at moderate resorts using the rooms for sleeping and given this will only be a quick trip, I am thrilled as I said to be at AKL period.

I think I know why the OP is asking this, I never worry about views because I am rarely in the room. BUT, while rare elsewhere, AKL seems to upgrade people fairly often (understandable since there are a lot of savannah view rooms) I have seen it in posts here a lot. So like me, OP sounds like she isnt worried about view at all, or trying to cheat, or even counting on it, but rather is SUPER excited about her trip, overanalyzing every detail :thumbsup2. It is just an innocent curiosity is all. Isn't that partly why we are all here? :rotfl:

You could ask at checkin if there are any Savannah rooms available and ask for them to quote you a price, and if you get sprinkled with some Pixie Dust...Great...if not, youve asked an innocent question and no harm, no foul..
I don't know why people get so snitty about potential upgrades.. You were just asking, which i know that a lot of people are upgraded to another view, I simply don't know why certain ppl are so offended by asking if its a possibility or not??

Our first stay at AKL we got an upgrade, that was before Kidani opened. Last August we stayed again, and mid -late Aug. It's low season. But resort was booked solid, no upgrade from pool .
If you can I'd move to a pool view.

We stayed at AKL this past July, this was our first stay there.

We booked a standard room, we would of been fine NOT upgraded, we never stayed before,but we were upgraded to a savannah view. We had noted on our resignation multiple celebrations. We checked in around 11:30 am

If/when we stay at AKL again we will at for a savanna view, if is now worth it to us. Well played Disney ;)

We pay/book for what we feel, we will be happy with. So we never expect an upgrade.

We have never been upgraded at AKL but have at YC and BWI both times we arrived mid-morning whether arrival time has anything to do with it no idea at all.

We were upgraded our last stay at AKL to a savanna view room. This was in September and we checked in around 6:00 p.m. And we didn't have any celebrations attached to our reservation.

I don't think there's really any rhyme or reason to upgrades, but the 3 times I have been upgraded have been when checking in during the evening hours.

Good luck!

We were upgraded our last stay at AKL to a savanna view room. This was in September and we checked in around 6:00 p.m. And we didn't have any celebrations attached to our reservation.

This was our experience as well last September, although I think I had my
birthday listed for a celebration. We always arrive around 5:30pm.

I reread my previous post and it does sound like an attack. Didn't mean it that way at all. I am sensitive to getting hopes up that are very likely to lead to disappointment. What I meant to say is that the best way to not get your hopes up is to not dwell on the unlikelies. I have been known to be disappointed myself when my own expectations weren't met - even though I knew in my head that what I wanted wasn't likely - I still dreamed. I didn't like to admit it but when my room was one of the worst of the standard view rooms (but what we had paid for, after all), I was disappointed. Hoping for an upgrade sometimes just means even less happiness with some of the not so good rooms that occur in every category. And, sometimes, we all end up in one of those - at least as often as we get upgraded.
Nowadays, I assume that I am getting the worst room in whatever level I book. That way, I am content with whatever comes around. That works for me, perhaps not for you.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I try to dream of the things that I can make happen like eating at Boma, swimming in the beautiful pool at night, breakfast in the outside tables by Mara, the first walk along Main street in the MK - fullfillable dreams that won't lead to a vague feeling of disappointment

Sorry if I offended anyone with my last post. There is no excuse for the sharp tone that i used (I don't understand it myself). I apologize.

No offence taken. The Internet is a poor way to get intent across sometimes. We are toying with the idea of booking a pool view but truthfully, this is a real spur of the moment trip and Mickey's Christmas Party will be the highlight. I really don't care where we sleep. With the discount, the prices are the same as what we paid for POR last March so we are absolutely thrilled as my family are huge animal lovers and most of the times we can get vacation time are in higher season and not in our price range. Flights from where I live are horribly expensive, this trip almost four times what our 4 night room will cost for 2 adults/2children.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter