Does Tokyo Disneyland take american credit cards?

PinkLemonade7503

Mouseketeer
Does Tokyo Disneyland take american credit cards, specifically Visa?

We have a lot of yen, but it would be nice if we did not have to carry too much around with us.

Thanks!

Yes, but you should make sure your card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

ETA: If you need to use an ATM to get Yen, the only one at TDR that takes American cards, that I'm aware of, is at Ikspiari.

Does Tokyo Disneyland take american credit cards, specifically Visa?

We have a lot of yen, but it would be nice if we did not have to carry too much around with us.

Thanks!

I used my Amex on my last trip - I can't remember if I had used my Visa. Like the previous poster said, check the policy on the foreign transaction fees, as those totally add up over the duration of the trip!

I find that the charges I make at TDR to my American Visa are delayed. It can take a month or two for the charges to show up.

Yes, Visa is accepted in TDR.

Visa is widely accepted for merchants that take credit cards in Japan. Mastercard is also accepted, though the merchant might take a second look at your card as it not as frequent. Other cards like Discover and AMEX might not be accepted, depending on the merchant.

Besides foreign transaction fees, don't forget to tell your card company you are leaving the country for Japan so they don't put a hold on your card or have it rejected when it's run through the machine.

Yen is always welcomed though :cool1:

Depending on how long you're traveling (or if you have other trips planned), you can get a credit card with no foreign transaction fee. Capital One and Andrews Credit Union have them with no annual fee too.

It's also important to bring some yen because I've heard the snack kiosks don't usually take credit cards.

Most places will have the credit card logo like US to show which cards and also suica/passmo IC they accept. TDRExplorer has very good info on their website and podcasts about accepting credit cards. Most restaurants and carts will take cards in TDR.

One thing we ran into while buying some things at Tokyo Station's character street is that a clerk asked if we wanted to split the charge into one payment (ikkai barai) or two (nikai barai). That caused the blank stare to come over our faces and when she explained in English we were still a little confused and just put our index finger out for the sign for one payment.

We used our AMEX and withdrew money from seven eleven ATMs throughout our trip. As others mentioned there is no foreign transaction fee with the AMEX and we found that seven eleven was very reliable with ATMs accepting US bank cards... as long as you don't try to swipe your card upside down LOL that took us a minute to figure out.

We used our AMEX and withdrew money from seven eleven ATMs throughout our trip. As others mentioned there is no foreign transaction fee with the AMEX and we found that seven eleven was very reliable with ATMs accepting US bank cards... as long as you don't try to swipe your card upside down LOL that took us a minute to figure out.

The biggest shock to us was that BANK ATMs did not accept our US cards, but only the 7-11 stores! This hasn't been an issue for us anywhere else in Asia, so given how metropolitan Tokyo is, we were really surprised!! We used CCs a lot in the parks, BUT -- the hotel didn't want to take them to buy our park tickets (but made an exception for us), we couldn't use CC to buy train tickets from the hotel to the park, nor for the train line in the city. So, definitely exchange some money before you enter the country (or leave the airport) because it can be tough to get cash!

The biggest shock to us was that BANK ATMs did not accept our US cards, but only the 7-11 stores! This hasn't been an issue for us anywhere else in Asia, so given how metropolitan Tokyo is, we were really surprised!! We used CCs a lot in the parks, BUT -- the hotel didn't want to take them to buy our park tickets (but made an exception for us), we couldn't use CC to buy train tickets from the hotel to the park, nor for the train line in the city. So, definitely exchange some money before you enter the country (or leave the airport) because it can be tough to get cash!

Japanese ATMs not accepting US issued cards is pretty well known; it's important to check on these things before traveling. Besides 7-11s, the ATM machines in Japanese post offices also accept US debit cards.

I had no trouble using a US credit card to buy train tickets in Tokyo as well as a Pasmo card.

Also, many AMEX cards do charge a foreign transaction fee. My AMEX gold card does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter