Does transportation (or lack thereof) affect your purchase decision?

I can’t imagine thinking the resort parking lots are big enough to find the walk to one’s car an issue. The only one I dislike is Boardwalk because the main lot is small and sometimes full, and the overflow requires crossing a road.
But to each their own.

It didn't affect our purchase decision, but it definitely affects what we (try to) book. With two stroller-aged kids, we avoid buses like the plague and will plan out trips that minimizes using buses.
Yup, and now that our group is at the other end of the spectrum a wheel chair and scooter require extra planning. We use buses at times but mostly I drive to each park and Disney Springs. Parking outside the unit at OKW, SSR is great. For other resorts I am the Uber guy who drives to resort drop off and loads wheelchair and scooter for the start/end of the day which I prefer. Of course, when at BCV & BWV I can push the wheelchair to EPCOT or Hollywood Studios. But depending on day it is a boat ride back which has its own logistics. BLT and VGF allow me to push to Magic Kingdom but normally boat/Monorail back.
To each their own. We love going offsite to Chuy’s or Portillo’s or something else for dinner. It’s also very nice at SSR or OKW (or BLT or VGF1) to just pull right up to your unit. Just allows us more freedom.

But that’s just us. Completely understand everyone else though! There’s not a “right” or “wrong” way.
Agree each family needs to develop a strategy that works for them. Transportation is not a factor in our resort selection. We like staying in different resorts. But having a vehicle has bought us freedom.

Resort amenity transportation per se didn't play a factor in purchasing...

... it has played a part in our stays ...

Pros/We like..

.. to have a car for split stays
.. parking under kidani rocks ( get right by the elevator closest to your room :) )
.. OKW/SSR can be nice to have car, we even used them inside resort sometimes when too tired to hoof it to pool on other side of resort.
.. boats are cool.
.. sky-liner is cool
.. park walkable resorts
.. getting 'in the bubble' and not having to worry about driving (contradicts having a car... see magical express demise below)

Cons/Dislike...

.. waiting for busses
.. getting to bus stop, and watching your bus drive away.
.. forgetting to get off bus on 'internal loop' at SSR or OKW.
.. magical express demise

We are trying a mix of new magical express (one-way) and car soon ... doing a few nights at WDW and then a few at Vero ... only renting car to get to Vero and while we are there...

Does this factor into anyone else's considerations, or is it just us?
It absolutely factors into our thinking, we never fly - we always drive to WDW, and so here is why like SSR and similar resorts:
  • Parking near our room makes SSR/OKW look a lot more desirable to us
  • Taking our bags in and out is a cinch
  • No traipsing through a lobby with all our stuff for everyone to see (dropping the underwear we forgot to wash)
  • We also do go off property some of the time as well (maybe about 25% of the time - Universal or other occasional side trips)

I think this is one of the reasons why we almost don't care which resort we stay at. While we do switch around for variety, and like to stay at our MK resorts as much as we do at SSR, I don't think we'd ever feel like we were "stuck" at SSR.

We fly, but almost always rent. I'm not sure parking would motivate a resort decision (I love BRV, for example, despite the parking situation) but it certainly does make e.g. OKW and SSR a lot more appealing than they might otherwise be.
That's us too but we still love BRV! Husband said he does loves the SSR parking situation. It's so nice when you get back to the resort late at night, your room is right there. You have already walked 20K steps, the last night you want is to walk another 10 mins back to your room.

We always rent a car, so transportation options isn't a big deal to us. It certainly didn't affect where we bought (BRV). Although we do own BLT now too, so that will make our monorail resort crawl so much more enjoyable!😁 But still, that's not the main reason why we bought there.

I can’t imagine thinking the resort parking lots are big enough to find the walk to one’s car an issue. The only one I dislike is Boardwalk because the main lot is small and sometimes full, and the overflow requires crossing a road.
But to each their own.
As someone mentioned earlier, I think it's the taking luggage/groceries to the room. Not sure why, but we've always like to do it ourselves. Kudos to AKV and CCV/BRV that will still let you use the luggage carts for yourselves!

The only place I use Bell Services is at Aulani...

We are SoCal locals, so every trip to WDW is via plane. We took DME once as owners, and used Disney transpo. (busses, boats, etc.) for that trip, with an Uber or two mixed in. Did the same on several trips pre-ownership. While DW curiously doesn't mind the busses, I am totally over them, and we rent a car every time now, regardless of the resort we are staying at. As for BRV, I must be one of the lucky ones: I've only had to park further away than the first two rows of parking once, when they had them blocked off for logistical purposes related to the refurb. I just drop the fam and luggage off next to the bus stop, and park the car. In my mind, BWV is MUCH further away from parking.

Aside from the general "hassle" of taking Disney transpo., I feel like I can get a longer, more relaxed day in if I'm not waiting for busses to and from the parks (the obvious exception being MK). Going to a different resort for dinner is also miles easier. Finally, getting to the resort from MCO takes an hour or so less, and we can actually get almost a half-day of either parks or Disney Springs in on getaway day (we have Sorcerer Passes), when the 3-hour window you need to leave open for MDE (or its equivalent) is eliminated.

ETA: the neighborhood Target they opened up at Flamingo Crossings has now become a part of every trip too. They have about 95% of anything and everything we need (we don't really cook in the villa), and it's a short drive from just about everywhere. It barely feels like you've left the property (because you really barely have).

Last edited:
A car means you can easily get to 3 parks. And DS. And the water parks. And several of the other resorts. And the grocery store. And Universal, Sea World, Fun Spot, the other Fun Spot, Margaritaville, Texas Roadhouse, IHOP…but only if it’s easily accessible. We used our car all the time when we stayed at Kidani but hardly ever when we were at WL.
To me it's more like the car makes it easy to get to the parking lot at the parks. At least at the resorts where it's relatively easy to get to/from your car. Then it's a long walk and/or tram ride to get anywhere near the actual park entrance. And reverse on the way home. For us it's the parking lots at the parks and hotels we are trying to avoid by taking Disney transport or being able to walk to a park entrance, more than avoiding the trip itself. IME actual door to door from my room to the entrance tapstiles, driving doesn't save much time overall over the course of a week trip. So I consider that a wash.

Not saying either way is better, just a different perspective. To me dealing with the parking lots is more annoying than waiting for a bus. But that's me. We all do WDW the way that's best for our group. I do love having a car for going out of the bubble or resort to resort sometimes.

To me it's more like the car makes it easy to get to the parking lot at the parks. At least at the resorts where it's relatively easy to get to/from your car. Then it's a long walk and/or tram ride to get anywhere near the actual park entrance. And reverse on the way home. For us it's the parking lots at the parks and hotels we are trying to avoid by taking Disney transport or being able to walk to a park entrance, more than avoiding the trip itself. IME actual door to door from my room to the entrance tapstiles, driving doesn't save much time overall over the course of a week trip. So I consider that a wash.

Not saying either way is better, just a different perspective. To me dealing with the parking lots is more annoying than waiting for a bus. But that's me. We all do WDW the way that's best for our group. I do love having a car for going out of the bubble or resort to resort sometimes.
I get that, I also find the parking situation frustrating at times, but setting aside MK (where I think everyone agrees the car situation is worse than disney transport), at AK and Epcot if you get there early you park close, and at DHS probably 50% of the parking lot is closer than the furthest bus stops are.

For me it’s having the control. I have waited an hour for a Disney bus before, and I feel like I wait at least 35 minutes at least once a trip. It ruins plans, ruins LLs, ruins meal reservations, as you cook in the sun and wangle increasingly impatient children and feel the anger build within. Worst thing that happens with a car (again excluding MK) is that you walk for as many as 10 minutes. Not fun! But sure beats an hour.

For me it’s having the control. I have waited an hour for a Disney bus before, and I feel like I wait at least 35 minutes at least once a trip. It ruins plans, ruins LLs, ruins meal reservations, as you cook in the sun and wangle increasingly impatient children and feel the anger build within. Worst thing that happens with a car (again excluding MK) is that you walk for as many as 10 minutes. Not fun! But sure beats an hour.
Agreed. This is the exact reason why we rent a car every time. Time is money to us, especially on vacation. If we need to swing by the store after the parks, or grab dinner outside the bubble, we can easily to do that with a car.

I get that, I also find the parking situation frustrating at times, but setting aside MK (where I think everyone agrees the car situation is worse than disney transport), at AK and Epcot if you get there early you park close, and at DHS probably 50% of the parking lot is closer than the furthest bus stops are.

1000%

Totally get that. Even if the total time averages out, with driving yourself the time spent is way more predictable. We definitely prefer walking, skyliner, boats, and monorail (in that order) over the buses. It's been MANY years since we spent an entire week at a bus-only resort. We will do 2 or 3 nights at AKL just because we love the resort and the bus situation there has been decent for us. Other than that it's been Swolfin/Riviera/Poly/BWV/etc. Also rarely ride a bus if we're in a hurry trying to make rope drop, etc. We'll take Uber/Lyft.

I saw your comment about the lot spaces at HS being closer than most of the bus stops... and I have no idea lol. It's literally been years since we took a bus or parked at HS. It's been walking from Swolfin or BWV, or skyliner. So many ways to do WDW and none of them are wrong.

Last edited:
not at all. use year and resort really dont matter for us, we only book 2-5 months out, so we take what we can get. only stayed in home resort 1 time in 6 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter