• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Universal have a gator problem like Disney

old lady

DIS Veteran
I wonder if they or any other park has problems with gators or snakes or amoebas?

If they have water (which they do) it is possible. However, Universal is in a much more pedestrian area than the Disney parks so gators would probably be less likely to call Universal home. With Disney a large portion of the land is undeveloped wetland/swamp with theme parks and hotels scattered through out.

The entire Orlando area was built up on swamp land. The everglades. Gators have and will continue to populate all sources of fresh water in Florida-- including major theme parks.

I wouldn't worry, gators are more afraid of people that we are of them. This was a freak occurence, there is no gator epidemic. It seems scary, but it will all be alright.

So has anyone here actually seen a gator at UO?
I have not but there is plenty of water around..

An employee at the HRH told me that they find one in the rivers that go from the City Walk to the resorts from time to time and either relocate (1st choice) it or euthanize it. Haven't seen one myself, but then again I only saw one once in many trips to Disney and it was a small one (about 24" long) in the lake by the Flame Tree BBQ.

The waterways at Universal are much different and are constantly in use (except at night, I suppose). And they are smaller. So I'm not sure they would get the time to grow without being noticed; there's just not as much room to "hide" (not that the alligators are hiding for nefarious purposes...they are just trying to survive as their instincts tell them to) compared to the vast water spaces at WDW.

And...I've just realized why Royal Pacific's pool area is gated. And I've just realized that as pretty as that one beachy area is (that you can see from the boat coming into RPR), I might never visit it.

I've never seen one at Uni, but I've never seen one at WDW, either.

View attachment 175983 I haven't seen any at UO but have seen one at Disney. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and there was a pond below our room. I believe they call it the otter pond. There was an alligator in that pond. There are rooms on the first floor with patios right by this pond. The alligator did come on land because someone threw pizza out there and the alligator came on land to eat it.

DSCF0031.JPG

View attachment 175983 I haven't seen any at UO but have seen one at Disney. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and there was a pond below our room. I believe they call it the otter pond. There was an alligator in that pond. There are rooms on the first floor with patios right by this pond. The alligator did come on land because someone threw pizza out there and the alligator came on land to eat it.

And this is exactly why they are there - people are feeding them! :(

Let's be clear - there's no 'gator problem' at Disney. There are gators ALL over Florida (Well over 1 million is the last estimate I saw) - if you see a body of fresh water, it's a good bet to assume there is one gator in there. Heck, they even find their way into people's pools from time to time.

Disney has been one of the best when it comes to managing gator population on their land - they have a great program in place with full time employees who's jobs it is to locate and relocate any problem animals. They also don't relocate -all- the gators - they are necessary to keep other pest species under control, as well.

This was an awful incident, but not a common one. I believe this is the first time anything like this has happened since WDW opened 45 years ago. I'd hardly call that a 'problem'. Independent wildlife experts have weighed in that if it was an adult standing there, the gator would not have gone after them. The child was, sadly, the right size to be easy prey - if you've seen some of the small deer-like animals on property, which are common prey for the gators, the size is very similar.

Gators are opportunistic hunters - they are extremely smart, but they don't stalk prey the same way that big cats do, for example. The gator saw an opportunity and took it. It was a tragic event - but there is no more blame on the gator than on the parents than on Disney.

And...I've just realized why Royal Pacific's pool area is gated. And I've just realized that as pretty as that one beachy area is (that you can see from the boat coming into RPR), I might never visit it.

During our visit last week, while riding the water taxi, I noticed that people had moved some of the lounge chairs... where the chairs were now situated, those folks clearly had had to wade through the lagoon water to place them there. In fact, if I'm recalling correctly, the chairs might have even been partially IN the water.

I just thought.... UGH. Why would anyone willingly touch that water? It's disgusting.

And honestly, the possibility of gators being in that water DID cross my mind.... I mean, they can be practically anywhere in Florida and beyond....

The waterways at Universal are much different and are constantly in use (except at night, I suppose). And they are smaller. So I'm not sure they would get the time to grow without being noticed; there's just not as much room to "hide" (not that the alligators are hiding for nefarious purposes...they are just trying to survive as their instincts tell them to) compared to the vast water spaces at WDW.

I've never seen one at Uni, but I've never seen one at WDW, either.

The pool area is not gated to keep gators out, its safety code to stop child drownings.

The last time I was there we had to pause off the to the side because a boat had to pass under the PBH bridge before we could... anyways the captain answered some questions. One kid asked if there were gators in the water and he said no. Now, growing up in South Florida this made me laugh because we say if it's fresh water just assume it has gators. However, universal is more landlocked than Disney. Disney also used to be a giant SWAMP and wetland. Of course it's going to have a gators! The lakes and land there are also way more conducive to house gators than Universals cement ponds... and not to mention WAYYYY bigger.

However I will say as someone who grew up learning to share the land with these guys... this is extremely rare. I've fished next to them sunbathing before. (I mean not right next to them.) Give yourself 40 or so FT from them and you're fine. They are pretty lazy and like easy prey. Also, June and July are nesting seasons and female gators are VERY aggressive around their young and nests. It's very possible there was a nest near by and they just happened to be close to it and the gator thought she was threatened.... can't be sure. Dunno the sex of the gator nor the proximity of a nest. Just a theory.

View attachment 175984

Your picture makes me so upset. There is no feeding the wildlife in Florida. There are reasons you don't do this. Plus, I am sorry, from FL or not, just common sense not to feed an alligator! And pizza?! Yes previous post, this is why there are issues with gators coming around. :furious:

vatmark wasn't the one that tossed the pizza out on the grounds.
figured it was posted to show us there are gators at other disney resorts.

there are a lot of rules such as no feeding the wildlife but it does happen.

vatmark wasn't the one that tossed the pizza out on the grounds.
figured it was posted to show us there are gators at other disney resorts.

there are a lot of rules such as no feeding the wildlife but it does happen.
Not sure if he was blaming them or not. Just think he was stating in general. The post says "Someone threw" so I assume he was just saying it makes him mad in general. Just like it makes me mad! I can't eat at flame tree without getting harassed by ducks and this is why. People think it's all fun and games to feed the wildlife. I just wish more people realized the impacts it has on the ecosystem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter