Does your family use different words for things?

I've always referred to paper towels as "quicker picker uppers" (the Bounty commercial). My girls now say this too
It's actually kinda dumb that we say that because saying quicker picker upper is more of a mouthful than just saying paper towel - LOL!!
A comedian said that about websites. Why do we say "www". World wide web has 3 syllables, WWW has 9.

Also bicycle and regional related, we always stop for ice cream somewhere when on the bikes and I always make it a point to ask for "Jimmi's" (sprinkles.)

Call tampons- ear plugs. We were on vacation and DD needed some. My sister in law kind of heard us talking and thought she needed ear plugs. How she got that we don't know.

DD used to call yogurt "doo-dah." No idea why, and only blueberry yogurt was doo-dah. Other flavors were strawberry doo-day or peach doo-dah, but doo-dah alone meant blueberry. She also called popcorn "knock-knee." Once again, no clue why, but we always served it in the same bowl. We still use the knock-knee bowl, and DD is 27 now!

When my mother wore her house coat, she was wearing a light-weight cotton knee length cover-up over her nightgown. Her house dress was a non-fancy dress for everyday wear at home, while doing housework. She'd change into a regular dress before my dad came home from work or if she were to go out to the grocery store or somewhere.

I grew up with the pulp in Orange Juice called "Sots" (pronounced like, think of dots with a S).
Another one I don't know how to even spell is Nimm-Kin-Poop (a lazy person)

My family used at least one of those Yiddish words and we called underwear gachi (not sure about spelling but that’s how you say it)

mans a pacifier will forever be a lulu to all of us. You can bet my grandkids (if they use them) will also call them lulus
Maybe the same, underwear is gutchies (gachi maybe same sounding?) Or also skivvies.

Pacifier is a binki.

Maybe the same, underwear is gutchies (gachi maybe same sounding?) Or also skivvies.

Pacifier is a binki.
We call it a binki too.

Our local Mexican place we call chips and rice bc thats all DS would eat from there when he was younger and he'd say "can we go chips n wice?"

Denny's is called Kimmie's bc Kimmie waits on us every time.

Ohanas is Stiches place.

Pacifier is a binki.

Pacifiers in our family are “nu nu’s” (or new new).

That’s what my oldest daughter called the NUK pacifier. She now has a daughter of her own who also has a “nu nu”.

We call it a binki too.

Our local Mexican place we call chips and rice bc thats all DS would eat from there when he was younger and he'd say "can we go chips n wice?"

Denny's is called Kimmie's bc Kimmie waits on us every time.

Ohanas is Stiches place.

Ugh! Did you have to mention Ohana?? I miss it soooooo much! Lol

Pacifiers in our family are “nu nu’s” (or new new).

That’s what my oldest daughter called the NUK pacifier. She now has a daughter of her own who also has a “nu nu”.
I had no idea that was a specific pacifier. If people don't call them a binki, they call them a Nuk here.

We have Cantonese nicknames for a lot of things. But the one that really sticks out was "trivet", as I did not know that items English name until I was 30.

Weird translations happen all the time. I know someone who is originally from China who refers to Wonder Woman as "Lady Bug" for some reason. Can't figure it out.

I'll just say I know a lot of people from different parts of the Chinese speaking world and they've taught me a little of the language that depends on region or even country. Like different words for orange or tomato. Some of this seems bizarre to me like the difference between a green onion/scallion (蔥 - Cōng) or an onion (洋蔥 - Yáng Cōng - meaning "foreign green onion"). Just the default word just seems so weird, but for this it shows how important the green onion is that it's the default.

We used to call the remote control (and sometimes still do) the clicker, but I know other people who call it that.

My Dad used to call his remotes a "chicka". He had one when I was young that made a "chicka" clicking sound when you used it to change channels, so the name stuck.

We drink Pepsi soft drinks, and when my daughter was little, she couldn't say "Pepsi", she pronounced it "Peppy." So, we call it Peppy to this day.

Wait.... When did Target have green doors?

Ours always did - the ones on the left side of the store were green, the ones on on the right were blue. It wasn't until they redid their whole concept 2 - 3 years ago that they got rid of them. We always parked on the left, so he assumed it was "the green store" since the blue doors led somewhere else :)

Ours always did - the ones on the left side of the store were green, the ones on on the right were blue. It wasn't until they redid their whole concept 2 - 3 years ago that they got rid of them. We always parked on the left, so he assumed it was "the green store" since the blue doors led somewhere else :)
Weird. I’ve only ever seen red doors at a target. Who knew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter