• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does your job allow you to vacation anywhere?

There are pre-trip international reporting requirements but that was already pre-COVID policy anyway.

Personally, I don't really care where anyone goes. The people who aren't practicing good behaviors aren't doing them whether they are at home, 10 miles away, 100 miles away, or 1000 miles away. We got one guy who thinks it's all a hoax and routinely goes to parties. We got another guy who has gone on several trips to see his daughter in Florida and I couldn't care less about that guy. Restricting travel, especially to the next state over, is just a feel good policy to say something is being done when in reality nothing is being accomplished by it.

There are pre-trip international reporting requirements but that was already pre-COVID policy anyway.

Personally, I don't really care where anyone goes. The people who aren't practicing good behaviors aren't doing them whether they are at home, 10 miles away, 100 miles away, or 1000 miles away. We got one guy who thinks it's all a hoax and routinely goes to parties. We got another guy who has gone on several trips to see his daughter in Florida and I couldn't care less about that guy. Restricting travel, especially to the next state over, is just a feel good policy to say something is being done when in reality nothing is being accomplished by it.
I agree with you that if people aren't being safe, they won't be safe anywhere. However, if they're "not safe" in Florida (with 10k+ cases/day), that could be different than "not safe" than in a state with less than 1K/day.

We are not restricted nor are there quarantine requirements upon return. Of course, we are in Florida so it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to have restrictions. We are primarily working from home, although two of us alternate going in every other Wednesday and working in the office alone. I have taken one in-state vacation in June, prior to the uptick, and a three day WDW trip with time to quarantine before I go back to the office (although quarantine isn’t required).

However, my BIL, who also lives in Florida, is restricted from traveling more than 50 miles from their office without a 14 day quarantine upon return. The quarantine would be unpaid unless he could work from home, which he could do, but he’s obeying the rules since he usually has to go in to the office once a week right now. I am not sure what will happen if a hurricane heads our way, since they usually evacuate to my house, which is about 80 miles away.

No co-workers that you chat with? No friendly personal conversations with your boss? I don't list a reason when I request PTO, but through normal conversation, it usually comes up where I'm going. Or someone will notice I'm off or have been off for a week or two and will ask if I went away somewhere. Or they notice I come back to work with a tan. Its all just friendly chatter, no one being nosey. I can understand not sharing the details if there's a reason you don't want your employer to know, but I don't think its that peculiar to share it with people we spend so much time with.

ETA: I also like to make my boss aware when I'm on vacationing or traveling out of town so that she doesn't call me with questions or anything like that. I don't vacation with my work laptop.
If your supervisor has dozens of other employees under his or her supervision, you're probably not being so micromanaged that they automatically would know about your vacation plans, especially if there is a company-mandated vacation schedule that doesn't require special permission. And not everyone is chummy with coworkers. Especially now, when everyone is trying to be "distant".

With all due respect that's part of the problem. When you're talking about a state reopening too soon you're comparing what the cases were relative to when they reopened and the rate of acceleration in comparison to the phases (and what was included in the phases) and how quickly a state moved from one phase to the next.

Of course Texas, FL and other have high numbers but they are problematic because of what their numbers were and what happened over time especially when you look at FL recently. I agree Hawaii looks fantastic when compared to the other states but that's not what you should be looking at. Hawaii relative to their cases over time have gone up to the highest in the whole pandemic and they are having issues stemming not from reopening but from gatherings mostly. You cannot just use another state just because the case amount is lower than another state If you were to look at overall numbers you'd have to include states that have high numbers in comparison to other states and yet some states are decreasing thus they are in a better position.

Comparing states to states in terms of raw number muddies the waters. It's comparing what each states' numbers were over time. In a nutshell the poster said "yeah because those states reopened too soon" but that not indicative of what occurred everywhere. Hawaii was just one example but there are other states that were fine (considering that is) until longer into their reopening plan. Fatigue, being over it, choosing to engage in riskier behaviors (like gatherings) because you reached your point, more specifically bars (which weren't always allowed soon into a reopening plan), not mandating masks in enough time (tied with compliance of mask usage), etc are all part of what contributes to rising cases. It's not just a simple "they reopened too soon". So yes I stand my example using Hawaii (as one that is not tied to reopening too quickly) which knows it needs to get a handle on its rising cases quickly so it doesn't slip into a situation that other states are experiencing. ETA: and I should say this is sorta getting off topic and I take the responsibility for bringing that to the table.

The part I highlighted in red - that's just a boldfaced lie. The "whole pandemic" has had way more than 60 new cases in a day. The CDC shows Hawaii has an average of less than 100 cases per 100K people, which is the lowest of all the states. So if their "high" is 60, and they've had only 1389 cases total, they are doing okay, and much better than other states, by a longshot. Could they get worse? Of course, every state could. But only time will tell, while time has shown the rest of the country (except for most of NE and Wyoming) are not doing well at all.

If your supervisor has dozens of other employees under his or her supervision, you're probably not being so micromanaged that they automatically would know about your vacation plans, especially if there is a company-mandated vacation schedule that doesn't require special permission. And not everyone is chummy with coworkers. Especially now, when everyone is trying to be "distant".

Exactly. Right now we're being actively discouraged from talking to co-workers. I work in a daycare so every teacher is in her own classroom, no mixing of classes allowed. And our break room is only to be used to heat our lunch if we need it - the tables and chairs are gone so no where to sit. Most of us just eat in our cars.

The part I highlighted in red - that's just a boldfaced lie. The "whole pandemic" has had way more than 60 new cases in a day. The CDC shows Hawaii has an average of less than 100 cases per 100K people, which is the lowest of all the states. So if their "high" is 60, and they've had only 1389 cases total, they are doing okay, and much better than other states, by a longshot. Could they get worse? Of course, every state could. But only time will tell, while time has shown the rest of the country (except for most of NE and Wyoming) are not doing well at all.
How is it a lie? The section you highlighted even says "relative to THEIR cases". Here's the chart for Hawaii...
So for two days (not enough to see if it's a trend), they have had their highest totals since this started.

This is where I was getting the information from: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/07/23/hawaii-reports-new-covid-cases-highest-single-day-increase/

It's strange to compare other states to ones with smaller number of cases as if to say because their numbers are lower in cases per day they shouldn't be in the discussion. Hawaii isn't doing well if they want tourism back again anytime soon, which they heavily rely on. You may not be as concerned but Hawaii sure is about their number.

Any state that has seen a large uptick in cases from what they were, regardless of what that actual number is, would be the concern. If a state had 100 per day and suddenly was at 150 cases per day and then suddenly 500 cases per day that is just as worrisome in comparison to a state that had 1,000 cases per day and suddenly was at 1,500 cases per day and then suddenly 5,000 cases per day. The numbers in terms of how well a state has a handle on it significantly depends on how quickly they rise to the point where they can't get control and do proper contact tracing as well as re-engaging in the public reminding them of behaviors they can do to slow the spread down.

How some states got into this mess is they were saying "well it's only this many cases per day, with this many total" yes well that lasted until it didn't and many states saw huge increases again relative to their previous levels.

Anyways we're really off topic so I'll kindly stop where I'm at :)

I didn't say I don't believe the PP I quoted, but would expect a scenario where no one asks or notices, and you don't speak of your vacation to be in the minority.

If you live or work in the Chicago area and want to vacation in WI, it will cost you a 14 day quarantine when you return.

At one point in the last few months I read that if we travel out of the country or to somewhere that we are required to quarantine, that the additional time is to come out of our annual leave or to go unpaid if we do not have or use annual leave.

So far it’s undetermined. Prior to Covid shutdowns we were told if we traveled on a cruise we would have to quarantine for two weeks without pay. They haven’t said for this school year yet. I’m hoping not but I’m not holding my breath for any of my trips this fall.

Corporate added a new requirement today. Managers in the next few days will be interviewing every employee working inside the building to build a "contact tracking" list of who you are associating with on and off work and under what circumstances so that if you test positive for covid 19, they can quickly take appropriate action to prevent exposure to other employees and take appropriate action in regards to cleaning the building. We have had no positive tests at our location to date, but one of our 66 other locations had multiple employees exposed by an employee who engaged in risky behavior (attended gathering of more than 10 people I believe). It took more than a day to track all the possible exposure risks to co-workers. This new data base is supposed to cut the time to warn employees of potential exposure to a few hours.

I retired in March as a Fed Gov employee, but prior to that I had to report ALL international travel and my former co-workers have to report travel to certain places and quarantine for 14 days after their return. DH and both DS's are Fed Gov contractors and have to quarantine at home for two weeks after travel to high infection areas. For example, oldest DS had to travel to CA for work (essential) and has been back for 11 days so he has been home and will be until he goes into work on Monday. He also was told no eating in restaurants so he did carryout and picked up some groceries and when at work, they fed them. We just got back from OC, MD but no reporting or quarantine was required for DH for that. All quarantine for work travel is covered so no leave is required. Any personal travel that requires quarantine is different and you have to use your own leave.

My job follows state guidelines and for NJ healthcare workers are exempt from quarantining when they return from a restricted state. Along with other critical employees such as police, firefighters, etc. So as of right now we don’t have to quarantine when we return from one of the listed states but we are supposed to contact our managers and employee health upon on our return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter