Does your mother in law like your cooking?

:crazy2: My dear departed MIL was an awful cook - just brutal in a whole bunch of ways. By the time I came into the family it was set in stone that her kids just simply didn't ever eat anything she cooked or baked. In the 20 years that I knew her, we never had one single meal at her house. I'm a great cook though, and those people were thrilled to see me coming. I quickly took over hosting all the family food events and often had the in-laws over for meals and/or provided them with things for the freezer. The only person that liked my food better than MIL did was FIL. :laughing: Gawd, we all felt sorry for that man.

I have found that as I became an adult and became responsible for most of the cooking (something I don't really enjoy doing), that I enjoyed any meal that I didn't have to cook just a little bit more!

I think my MIL feels the same way. She enjoys eating here because it means she didn't have to cook. I am a decent cook -- I can follow a recipe and I don't poison people -- so I don't think she has any complaints. But I'm the first to acknowledge that I'm not a particularly adventurous or creative cook, and I don't really love to do it.

she liked one dish in particular that was made of thanksgiving leftovers. when she would pay a visit i would ask if there was anything in particular i could plan to make and her response was always the same 'oh yes! thanksgiving food, but have it a couple of days before i arrive so you can make that casserole',

My mother in law lived in another state , so we only saw her maybe a week per year. DH was an only child and the sun rose with him. One day I was making fried eggs for him and the yolk broke. Aww, honey, the yolk broke. MIL asked if I ate those and make him new ones..

Now when we get to cleaning.......Between her and her sisters, their nicknames were the clean sisters. If you went to the bathroom during a meal, by the time you came back, your dish was washed and put away. On one visit , she noticed and remarked house needed dusting. I'm not doing it correctly. My DH mentioned that I also work a full time job. (knew he was a keeper)

This was 40 years ago and we still laugh about it.

My MIL died before DH and I met. His Dad always enjoyed eating with us. However, one year my DH was deployed to Kuwait and his Dad and Dad's girlfriend came. They'd been together many years. I cooked alllllll day. Helen said hmmmph I want to go OUT. Ok so I take them to a traditional NC BBQ place 30 minutes away. Hmmmph I don't like this area. So we left for somewhere else. I was so irritated by the time we got done.

She was worse than any MIL. I shouldn't share, but....she broke up with him when she got shingles and said he gave her an STD.

Aren't you glad you asked? 😂

I'm blessed with a great MIL. We've had a couple of issues through the years, but she really likes my cooking and baking. She especially likes me cleaning up after I cook and when she cooks. When anyone cooks. She doesn't like to clean.

The French one, could cook but her aunt was better.

The man’s mother, Judy, brought her children up on a mixture of King Kullin’s frozen goods and restaurants in “Lawn Eyeland”. (LI). I’m never forgetting the story about the man and his brother smoking marijuana in the rumpus room with their parent’s approval (apparently better than hanging out on street corners 🤣) and Judy bringing Chun King pupu trays downstairs to them. Waaaay foreign to growing in the Bronx. Anyhow when I met her she’d moved onto Florida, Publix and early dinners at chain restaurants.
Lovely woman, truly missed but nah she couldn’t cook.

Both MILs professed to liking my cooking.

My mother-in-law didn’t like anything or anyone. Nothing was ever good enough for her. When she got to the point she couldn’t cook anymore we would all take meals over to her. She’d look at it say “what’s this crap”. She didn’t like any of her husband’s family or her sons and daughters in law. My husband told me that she never hugged them as children or told them she loved them. Needless to say there were no tears at her funeral when she died a couple months ago.

I don't know if my MIL ever ate at my house although she must have at parties for the kids. She was an awful cook though, my FIL evidently was the chef in the family. Sadly he died the day before my husband's 7th birthday. She never got him a birthday cake, even from a bakery. My husband's meals growing up consisted of TV dinners and On-Cor frozen entrees. Her stuffing was black and crunchy which I have never figured out because it wasn't burnt. I avoided eating at her house.

Our 2 favorite stories from when we started dating is my grandmother giving DH a birthday Tasty-kake with a candle because she felt so sorry for him. But the one we tell quite a bit, even after 46 years together was how my mom invited him to Sunday dinner. She went all out with Roast Beef and mashed potatoes. My husband asked what klnd they were because he liked them so much so my mom handed him a potato. He had no clue what it was because to him potatoes came out of a box in dry flakes. He has said quite often over the years that I was a much better cook than his mom and it was one of the reasons he fell in love with me.

Well, about the only thing I possibly could have cooked that she had was if I BBQed a steak or chicken breast. I don't recall any complaints, but since she passed away 25 years ago, I could have forgotten.

I have found that as I became an adult and became responsible for most of the cooking (something I don't really enjoy doing), that I enjoyed any meal that I didn't have to cook just a little bit more!

I think my MIL feels the same way. She enjoys eating here because it means she didn't have to cook. I am a decent cook -- I can follow a recipe and I don't poison people -- so I don't think she has any complaints. But I'm the first to acknowledge that I'm not a particularly adventurous or creative cook, and I don't really love to do it.
This. I think it was harder for my husband to switch from her cooking to mine.

Yes, she did like my cooking and I liked hers. (MIL & I had so many things in common, tho.):hippie: In fact, she stole a couple of recipes from me over the years! Before she moved off the farm, we worried about her actually taking the time to cook for herself vs. snacking or not eating. So, I'd purposefully cook extra for dinners and we'd freeze leftovers in meal containers so she would have easy meals to eat. We filled her freezer and she was so thankful for it.

I was lucky to have a wonderful MIL. She taught me so much in the few short years we had together. :lovestruc

My tiny little mother-in-law usually takes 2-3 helpings of whatever I cook so I will assume she likes my cooking!

I've only had her cooking once in the 40 years I have been married to her son. Cooking is not her specialty!

My MIL lives next door to us. She cooks a handful of things really beautifully but even moreso now she’s widowed doesn’t go outside of her usual dishes.

My mother lives around a corner from us and is even more of a plain cook however does make great cakes.

I’m a much better cook than both so they both get leftovers / meals every once in a while from us that they love. They also come to our house every Sunday morning for a huge brunch buffet - filet steak, eggs, sausages, bacon, tomatoes, grilled veggies, toast, bagels, smoked salmon + accoutrements finishing with a big fruit platter. Our eldest child is a barista so she churns out lattes, cappuccinos as well as batch brew coffees.

Both grandmothers go home stuffed to the gills and tell me that they both tend to skip lunch then have toast for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter