Does your stomach drop on Guardians of the Galaxy?

ArtieRyder

Mouseketeer
The title says it all, but I can elaborate.

Planning a trip for mid-april. This is our first trip since GotG opened. Some of my kids aren't the bravest when it comes to rides (we're currently pushing them pretty hard to go on slinky dog and mine train). I'm not a big fan of your stomach dropping either.

From ride videos, it doesn't seem like there are any big drops, more like banked drops. I know different people have different constitutions, for reference, I don't think your stomach drops on space mountain, mine train, big thunder, slinky dog. Everest is debatable.

What does everyone think? Am I safe to tell my kids this is a good ride for them?

Thanks!

I've been on it 7-8 times and don't remember any drops, and never had any motion sickness or dizziness issues... give it a try, you'll love it!

No drops but it can be intense for those who don’t like roller coasters. We love it but it’s not for all. I would say if your kids do okay on Big Thunder they could do Guardians. If SDMT is too much you may wish to wait until next trip to have them ride.

It is an amazing ride though so worth riding if you can!

I get motion sickness on that ride but I love it anyway. My spouse who usually does not have issues feels sick on the ride and doesn’t want to ride it anymore. I don’t remember it having drops so much as swoops. The issue is that one is moving while looking at stationery objects and it just throws off the inner ear.

Think of Space Mountain, but smoother, and not so much up and down. And the ride feels more like the Remy vehicles, changing orientation from one side to the other, instead of heading straight along the track.

There are a lot of curves and the ride vehicle will rotate. So your car will be perpendicular to the track as you face the Milky Way or Earth as you spiral around the stationary object. If they don’t do well on slinky dog or 7DMT, then I would not try guardians. Plus it’s in the dark so you can’t really see what coming up ahead.

Last edited:
It's like Space Mountain if the vehicles rotated. But it's really smooth, and it's a hoot. No drops that feel like Splash, if that's what you mean by your stomach dropping. It feels like you're being tossed around like a rag doll. In a good way.

No drops but the fact it changes directions and has acceleration and deceleration, a lot of people can get motion sickness. The few times I rode with my family, I found some people leaving really queasy and a few have actually puked outside the ride.

If you are prone to motion sickness, take Dramamine and go before a meal

Just rode it 2 days ago - never again!.:sad2: It was 4 hours before I felt better and could function like my cheerful self. I didn’t get sick but felt ‘unsettled ‘ for a long time afterwards.

I don’t remember any drops but it’s very fast and spins a lot. If your kids love roller coasters, go for it. A word of advice: do it later in the day so you can go back to your hotel to recover without losing a whole day IF it doesn’t work out well.

Someone described GotG as a tilt-a-whirl on a roller coaster track. It is fast, dark, and whirls around. I LOVE it. My son, who is timid about roller coasters, did not like it at all.
So glad you said tilt a whirll. I feared riding it because I suspected it might be like tilt a whirl and you were the first to mention that. I despise the tilt a whirl feeling and definitely am not going to ride it.

I really do appreciate your post. I do love ‘the ‘drop feeling’ but that’s all. You couldn’t pay me any amount of money to even go on the Tea Cups.

Thanks.

It is fast and smooth. No big drops. I've never had any motion sickness riding it, but I can see where some could with the cars turning. However, it seemed to me that the turns fit the motion well rather than going in the opposite direction (like a double ferris wheel, etc). It also doesn't turn really fast in any direction.

I think it just depends on the kid. My kiddo loved it the first time he rode it at 6 years old, and he was so-so on slinky dog at the time, wouldn't ride Everest. The next year he was 7 and rode it once and was like "yeah that makes my legs hurt, I don't want to ride it again" but then rode Everest 5 times and slinky dog at least 3. There are no real drops (which is why my 14 year old adores it) but it is an intense coaster.
The pre-show, however, scares my little guy, at 6 he closed his eyes and plugged his ears for almost all of it and at 7 he watched it up until the scary guy comes on. Just a heads up if you have sensitive kids.

I think you have to be extremely sensitive to get sick on this ride. My husband and one of our sons are very queasy, sensitive people and they loved it.

No big drops. Fast and downhill, but more going down as a turn than straight down. I was worried as I can’t do rides like tea cups and music express type rides (go around in a circle real quick), but had no issues with this. Yes the train car turns but it’s very fluid and not fast spinning. Not discrediting people that do have issues with it, just giving my opinion.

Could someone compare this to the sensations created by MS orange? I did that right after it opened and was so dizzy afterward that I couldn't do anything for hours, so I've been avoiding GotG.

ETA: I was fine during MS orange. It was only when I got off that I realized how dizzy I was. I had to sit down after the ride for nearly a half hour before I could leave. And then I went back to the hotel.

Could someone compare this to the sensations created by MS orange? I did that right after it opened and was so dizzy afterward that I couldn't do anything for hours, so I've been avoiding GotG.

ETA: I was fine during MS orange. It was only when I got off that I realized how dizzy I was. I had to sit down after the ride for nearly a half hour before I could leave. And then I went back to the hotel.
Good point. One key to wellness on GOTG and MS:O is not turning your head. Turning your head while being tossed around upsets equilibrium and that leads to motion sickness.

We shared a vehicle on MS:O with a guy who was so concerned about his kids he kept turning his head and looking over during the ride to make sure they were doing OK, so much so that he bolted and gave up his lunch as soon as the ride ended.

Good point. One key to wellness on GOTG and MS:O is not turning your head. Turning your head while being tossed around upsets equilibrium and that leads to motion sickness.

We shared a vehicle on MS:O with a guy who was so concerned about his kids he kept turning his head and looking over during the ride to make sure they were doing OK, so much so that he bolted and gave up his lunch as soon as the ride ended.
Thanks for this. The thing is, I knew not to turn my head on MS:O and didn't. But the actual spinning of the vehicle--something I didn't notice at all while I was on the ride--did something to my equilibrium that took me hours to recover from.

Thanks for this. The thing is, I knew not to turn my head on MS:O and didn't. But the actual spinning of the vehicle--something I didn't notice at all while I was on the ride--did something to my equilibrium that took me hours to recover from.
Yes, it's a very different sensation and motion from anything else I've experienced at Disney. At times, you feel like you're moving forward, then backward, then sideways! I enjoy the ride, a lot. But the first time I rode it, it took me a bit after to adjust. My wife rode with me and has indicated she won't be riding it again.

The title says it all, but I can elaborate.

Planning a trip for mid-april. This is our first trip since GotG opened. Some of my kids aren't the bravest when it comes to rides (we're currently pushing them pretty hard to go on slinky dog and mine train). I'm not a big fan of your stomach dropping either.

From ride videos, it doesn't seem like there are any big drops, more like banked drops. I know different people have different constitutions, for reference, I don't think your stomach drops on space mountain, mine train, big thunder, slinky dog. Everest is debatable.

What does everyone think? Am I safe to tell my kids this is a good ride for them?

Thanks!
If Mine train is a big push I don't recommend this ride.... it's amazing, but it's pretty crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter