• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dog now allowed... how to deal with allergies

Hopefully this is seen as on-topic.

Here's our story.

WDW has always taken allergies very seriously. I've not been to WDW since this very recent change, but previously, dogs at WDW were rare.

I'm not a WDW employee, but have asked about this. We were given the impression that service dogs were limited to certain rooms, and/or that the rooms were deep cleaned after they left. If not, my extended family would have had experienced reactions. We've stayed in many WDW hotel rooms, at almost every resort, and only once did we have a problem with our room (that caused a reaction), but it wasn't due to a dog.

Many years ago, back when WDW still allowed in-room smoking- we were assigned to a very smoky room. We immediately exited and called the front desk.

At first, the front desk merely sent someone to spray perfume in our room, though we couldn't figure out why they thought that would have helped!

After that didn't help, the front desk was able to offer us another room. It just took a little time.

Prior to that, we didn't know we could request deep cleaned rooms. After that, we requested deep cleaned rooms a few times, but found that WE EXPERINCED a trade off when we did. Deep cleaning takes extra time. The few times we requested it, our room wasn't ready until very late in the afternoon.

A few months after that, WDW went to all non-smoking rooms, and we've never had any problems since.

I’m ok with hotels allowing dogs at their rooms, as long as they are either setting a number of rooms for it or doing a deep cleaning after the dog checkout. I from now on will be requesting a deep clean for allergies on Disney resorts, it might sound silly but my child is severely allergic to dog hair, and other stuff like dust mite that are obviously everywhere, but Dog hair is a big trigger for his allergies. Have anyone have a bad experience on these rooms?
you do realize that a service dog could be in any room anywhere? they do not have to stay in pet rooms soo would request a deep cleaning anywhere and this includes nonpet friendly places as service dogs can still stay there. plus there are now bed bug checking dogs and security dogs that can be in any room and would not be deep cleaned after

In my experience, true service dogs are highly trained, always well-behaved, and rare. They are working dogs, not pets, and the chance that a room was occupied by a service dog is slim. The chance that a service dog ate off the restaurant table you're now seated at is virtually zero.

I'm wondering how a "deep clean" actually works. Pretty much all dogs shed, and dog hair is difficult to control--it goes everywhere. A deep clean to remove allergens seems like it would require significant time and effort to ensure that the allergens are removed from the room. I've heard this same "deep clean" terminology applied to rental units as well, but am suspicious as to how well it's actually done.

In my experience, true service dogs are highly trained, always well-behaved, and rare. They are working dogs, not pets, and the chance that a room was occupied by a service dog is slim. The chance that a service dog ate off the restaurant table you're now seated at is virtually zero.

I'm wondering how a "deep clean" actually works. Pretty much all dogs shed, and dog hair is difficult to control--it goes everywhere. A deep clean to remove allergens seems like it would require significant time and effort to ensure that the allergens are removed from the room. I've heard this same "deep clean" terminology applied to rental units as well, but am suspicious as to how well it's actually done.

Don't know exactly what's done, but when there's carpet in the room a deep cleaning takes at least 4 hours.

I've heard this same "deep clean" terminology applied to rental units as well, but am suspicious as to how well it's actually done.

I agree, I'm suspicious too. I have a lot of relatives who are allergic to my dog, and they just can't come in my house. Doesn't matter what I do, or how hard I clean, they will have a reaction.

The only thing I can think of is something where you clean the carpet deeper but I don't see how they could do that and use the room right away. It seems like any true deep clean would take the room out of commission for a few days

Our daughter is allergic to animal dander, and urine. We have been happy with the "deep" cleaning Disney provides for the 20+ visits we have done in the last 10 years. We did not the first time and she was having a reaction (happened worse at the Royal Pacific at Universal twice). Her allergy is fairly severe as it causes some hives on contact and asthmatic reactions in general. We know allergies vary quite a bit, so deep cleaning may not be deep enough for some. I will add that we had a deep cleaning a while ago and she still reacted. It was solved by bringing in new bedding. I believe the comforter was the culprit. It was so long ago, I can't remember if it was at WDW or DLR. I hope everything goes well for you.

OP: An option to consider that could help is some of the resorts that have had recent refurbishments now have non-carpet floors (looks like wood, but I would assume it is probably a laminate of some kind) with small area rugs. Much easier to clean, including when a deep/allergy cleaning is needed. We stayed at Copper Creek Villas this past December, in a studio, and liked the flooring quite a bit.

At CCV, when we arrived in our room they had obviously recently finished cleaning it, as a couple areas of the floors were still a bit damp -- but a damp mop (assuming that is what they used) on a "hardwood" floor is a lot easier and more effective at cleaning than anything they could do to a wall to wall carpet.

Also, when I travel, I now bring a portable HEPA air purifier, sanitizing wipes, gloves and masks. I also bring allergen barrier covers for the pillows (king size so they will fit anything a hotel has on the bed, in a non-white colour so it is not mistaken for the hotel's linens) and some other bedding-related items, including some medical equipment. This is in addition to any special cleaning I arrange with the hotel, if they offer it (WDW resort hotels do, as others have noted).

The HEPA makes a significant difference to me when staying in hotels, especially when combined with the other things we do. Some rooms still cause me issues, but they are much less than they used to be before I figured out what I need to do/what works for me.

SW

I agree, I'm suspicious too. I have a lot of relatives who are allergic to my dog, and they just can't come in my house. Doesn't matter what I do, or how hard I clean, they will have a reaction.

The only thing I can think of is something where you clean the carpet deeper but I don't see how they could do that and use the room right away. It seems like any true deep clean would take the room out of commission for a few days

I cannot visit people's homes who have cats or dogs without having a reaction. Because my reaction to cats is so severe, I cannot visit anyone who has a cat. Dogs I will get sick, but not so severe a visit is impossible for family if the visit is short. Fortunately, right now I only have one family member with a dog. And her dog is a traditionally less allergenic one (no such thing as hypoallergenic). It doesn't matter how thoroughly the house is cleaned, with a dog living in it the allergen is all over. We had a collie growing up (yes, I was allergic to him too), and the house was kept very clean. One still found distinctive collie hairs in places where the dog himself had never been in ;-)

As for the deep cleaning, there are different kinds they do. When we made our request for our recent trip to WDW, we had a long conversation with the CM about what our needs were and how they could be accommodated. I know from others on another group that I am on that a deep cleaning of the carpet can be done if required, which leaves the carpet damp and needing to dry afterwards.

Any of the special cleanings take some time and IME the room is not available until late afternoon, sometimes even after normal checkin time. When we returned from our recent cruise, DCL the port transfer bus had us at our resort by about 10 or 1030 am. Our room was not ready until after 4:30. The room in that case was at CCV with its new non-carpet floors and even there a few places on the floor were still finishing drying.

SW

Don't know exactly what's done, but when there's carpet in the room a deep cleaning takes at least 4 hours.

It is my understanding that at least one way it is cleaned is a steam cleaning method, which leaves it damp. It then has to dry. Plus they have to do whatever other thorough cleaning needs to be done, which also takes more time than normal cleaning.

When we have had a pre-arrival special room cleaning done at WDW we have always been warned by the CM to not expect the room to be ready before the posted checkin time, possibly later.

SW

It is my understanding that at least one way it is cleaned is a steam cleaning method, which leaves it damp. It then has to dry. Plus they have to do whatever other thorough cleaning needs to be done, which also takes more time than normal cleaning.

When we have had a pre-arrival special room cleaning done at WDW we have always been warned by the CM to not expect the room to be ready before the posted checkin time, possibly later.

SW

Yup. The only time we've gotten into our room before 5PM when requesting this is when the room was vacant the night before. Wc hich we knew ahead of time and were totally fine with.

I wouldn’t risk it by staying in one of the resorts that has dogs. Also, you may want to ask for a deep clean anyway because most of the resorts have fake service dogs in them anyway.
And I’m sure her child is only allergic to fake service dog hair.

Last warning: the OP’s question is about people’s experiences with allergies and allergy cleanings now that dogs are permitted at some resorts. Not whether there are “fake service dogs” at the resorts.

It would be really nice if they could get some help with their concerns.

If I am correct, there are 4 that allow "emotional" dogs now at their hotels? (I could be wrong about that, if so I apologize). I believe Yacht Club is one of them . I would research which hotels allow the "emotional" dogs and pick a hotel not on that list.

* I have nothing against seeing eye/service dogs. I hope I didn't come across as such.

If I am correct, there are 4 that allow "emotional" dogs now at their hotels? (I could be wrong about that, if so I apologize). I believe Yacht Club is one of them . I would research which hotels allow the "emotional" dogs and pick a hotel not on that list.

* I have nothing against seeing eye/service dogs. I hope I didn't come across as such.

Disney recently started allowing pet dogs at 4 resorts: AoA, YC, POR, Ft Wilderness Cabins.

Service dogs may stay at any resort. Disney defines service dogs as those having been trained to perform tasks to assist a person with a disability. They do not require documentation of such training.

So, the bottom line is, dogs may be found at any resort.

Last edited:
call Disney NOW - tell them you are allergy to pets - they will ask for your reservation number - then when you get there you will not be able to change your room - they only do the deep cleaning for people with allergies.

I am also allergy to dogs but not to cats - with dogs just have to kept washing my hands and make sure I never touch my face in their present.

now other allergies - food mostly have had some bad reaction even at WDW - okay that was in 80's and early 90's before they decided to take allergies serious.

they do know and believe me they will try their best to give you a room - with any animals or dust or mold or anything to upset your allergies.

think that is one reason they changed policies - you can't go to the parks to spend money if you are sick in your room with allergies.

Disney is required to comply with the ADA and any state and local laws regarding service animals at all public-access facilities. The ADA defines service dogs as being trained to perform certain task(s) to assist a person with a disability. In most cases, emotional issues are not classified as protected disabilities. Service dogs are working dogs and not pets, a fact which is usually demonstrated through their behavior. While Disney and other public-access facilities are permitted to ask what a service dog is trained to do, they ironically are not permitted to request any proof of the training (documentation or demonstration). For this reason, absent abusive or destructive behavior, it is difficult for any public-access facility to deny accommodation to any dog represented as a service dog. I mention all of this for informational purposes only and not as a point for nuanced debate (I am not a lawyer). Bottom line is that Disney is in the same boat as everyone else with respect to the presence of service animals ("real" or "claimed") in public-access areas of their facilities.

There may be more service dogs staying at Disney resorts simply because of the volume of guests who visit, but in my experience, trained service dogs are fairly rare even at Disney. I suspect that allergy and other concerns would be diminutive issues if only service dogs (or any dog with like behavior) were permitted at the resorts. However, the pet-friendly policy is ultimately Disney's choice.

I called in to WDTC this week to request a guarantee of a pet-free room and also a deep clean at POR. When I called back to verify those requests, the pet-free room was noted but *not* the deep clean. If allergies (from dogs of any vocation) are a concern, I would recommend making the requests and then calling back to verify that they are noted.

Last edited:
I called in to WDTC this week to request a guarantee of a pet-free room and also a deep clean at POR. When I called back to verify those requests, the pet-free room was noted but *not* the deep clean. If allergies (from dogs of any vocation) are a concern, I would recommend making the requests and then calling back to verify that they are noted.

When I first made my request for special cleaning for our most recent trip I did it through the main reservations number. I didn't feel totally comfortable with how the conversation went, so I called the special reservations number* to confirm it had been done right or redo the request if needed. Turns out the first CM had NOT done it properly -- only some of the info was entered, and not in the right place. For allergy cleanings thehre is actually paperwork that is supposed to be filled out by the CM, and that was not done at all. It all got corrected and done right ultimately, but would have been nice if it was done properly on the first go.

* FYI: info about "Accommodations for Guests with special needs at Walt Disney World Resort Hotels" can be found at: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/plain-text/hotels/ . The "special reservations" number is on that page.

Also FYI, one thing I did find out through my discussion with the CM at special reservations is that there are no feathers (eg feather pillows) in WDW resort hotel rooms.

SW

Hopefully this is seen as on-topic.

Here's our story.

WDW has always taken allergies very seriously. I've not been to WDW since this very recent change, but previously, dogs at WDW were rare.

I'm not a WDW employee, but have asked about this. We were given the impression that service dogs were limited to certain rooms, and/or that the rooms were deep cleaned after they left. If not, my extended family would have had experienced reactions. We've stayed in many WDW hotel rooms, at almost every resort, and only once did we have a problem with our room (that caused a reaction), but it wasn't due to a dog.

Many years ago, back when WDW still allowed in-room smoking- we were assigned to a very smoky room. We immediately exited and called the front desk.

At first, the front desk merely sent someone to spray perfume in our room, though we couldn't figure out why they thought that would have helped!

After that didn't help, the front desk was able to offer us another room. It just took a little time.

Prior to that, we didn't know we could request deep cleaned rooms. After that, we requested deep cleaned rooms a few times, but found that WE EXPERINCED a trade off when we did. Deep cleaning takes extra time. The few times we requested it, our room wasn't ready until very late in the afternoon.

A few months after that, WDW went to all non-smoking rooms, and we've never had any problems since.
I remember reading about someone who did not even mention his service dog as he did not have to only use pet friendly rooms. plus if you read the bed bug post you will see about the bed bug dog and I assume they do not deep clean after that dog is in the room plus I am guessing if bed bugs are found in room beside yours that the dog could be brought in to check your room without you being there

I remember reading about someone who did not even mention his service dog as he did not have to only use pet friendly rooms. plus if you read the bed bug post you will see about the bed bug dog and I assume they do not deep clean after that dog is in the room plus I am guessing if bed bugs are found in room beside yours that the dog could be brought in to check your room without you being there

With respect to allergens left behind, I suspect that there's a big difference between a working dog being walked into the room momentarily to detect bed bugs and a pet *staying* in the room for hours on end. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Disney uses canines to detect other undesirable things in and around its properties. For some things, nothing replaces a trained working dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter