• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dog park

jen0610

DIS Veteran
For those of you who use a dog park, what is the fee that the dog park charges for you to use the park?

We have one in town and I am shocked at what they charge for you to use it. I totally get the requirement of proof of vaccination for rabies, parvo, and distemper. It's just the fee that has me shaking my head. And it may explain why we hardly ever see anyone using the park.

I don't take the dogs to the park often but when we do they are free. No is checking anything though.

We don't have a dog park, but I am curious about the fee and what your park provides. Care to share?

$55 a year for a permit. The money goes towards maintaining the land, it's not cheap to hire someone to mow and maintain the grounds and fencing. Also a permit ensures that the dogs using the park have their vaccines and such so it's safe for other dogs and people to be there

No fee for any of our local ones. They are maintained by Parks and Rec department. South Florida!

We have a fantastic dog park, its paid for with our property tax dollars, no gate fee's and its an honor system for vaccinations, scooping the poop etc. Its got three areas: small dog, water/lake/jumping ramp and then a large dog dry area as well as a several wash/shower stations, all fenced in.

There is also a private Dog Park Bar nearby - $5 cover for the dog, plus the cost of beverages. We sign a waiver that the dog has all its shots and that we are responsible for the dog. The $5 includes poop patrol and rangers who keep an eye on the dogs to assure good manners.

Suburb of Austin, TX - Very dog friendly cities

No fee to use the public dog parks. The "doggy daycare" dog parks that are private facilities change. I prefer those type and our pup goes to a full day one that is 40 a day when he goes. He only goes once a week but I am willing to pay. It allows him to have full day play in a safe environment with other dogs who have been tested for temperament. I've actually never taken him to a public dog park because before we got the dachshund we took our oldest pup and she hated it (she's not a dog loving dog she tolerates other dogs but doesn't like 20 running up to her at once) and we had 2 friends who on separate occasions have had their dogs attacked at the public dog park nearest our house. One dog unfortunately passed away and the other had to have a very expensive surgery.

Never heard of a fee. Heck, I grew up in a city where dogs weren't even allowed in most city parks. There was one that allowed dogs in leash only. There might be a designated dog play area now, I think.

There are lots of city parks around here with fenced in dog play yards. They're all free. Also, the East Bay Regional Park District allows dogs off leash in areas with a wilderness character. They still need to be leashed in developed areas like picnic areas as well as specific locations where dogs aren't allowed at all, save service dogs.

The premier location is a shoreline park where dogs can go off leash and even swim. It's actually developed but they've allowed it since I can remember. It also extends into state park land. Dogs have been such a part of this that a business originally set up a dog washing service with a big commercial truck, but eventually set up a permanent location complete with a snack bar called Mudpuppy's Tub & Scrub and the Sit & Stay Cafe.

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/pt_isabel
http://www.mudpuppys.com/

d3f4d5_5af26a5004944930b7f62ca5aec15d52~mv2.png

All the cities around us have multiple dog parks that have no fees, part of the city park system. We also have several beaches that are dog beaches where off-leash swimming and playing are allowed. San Diego

No fees for any of our local ones. We tried taking our dog, but she was never keen on playing with the other dogs and would even refuse to chase a stick or ball with us. She'd just sit by our feet waiting for us to take her home. After she managed to contract worms from the park, we gave up.

Now we just take her for very long walks, and she's perfectly happy.

I have not encountered a dog park with fees. They are all just open to the public.

I can see where registering would be a great idea though. Not just to make sure the dogs are vaccinated, but also because there would be a way of holding owners responsible or banning them if their dogs' behavior is not suited to a dog park environment. I have one dog who loves to run and enjoys other dogs, but we have had several incidents so we no longer go to the nearby dog park.

There are some dog bars that require membership and proof of vaccination. Their fees are around $25/year. These have both indoor and outdoor off-leash areas for the dogs to play. Plus they offer other services like grooming and/or daycare. Regular pubs/breweries that are dog friendly do not have any membership fees.

We have one in our city, that is just a fenced rectangle with a picnic table, that is free. We also have a local parks system that has several of them. Some huge and fenced, some unfenced, with rivers etc. Very very nice. Those are $45 for the year. And yes, when we paid it, I thought it was excessive. But yes, someone does have to maintain them I guess, and my pup LOVES to go there, so we paid it.

We have a nice local park that has an off leash dog area that's away from where families typically are. It has a lake and plenty of acreage to run, and it's free to use.

I have not encountered a dog park with fees. They are all just open to the public.

I can see where registering would be a great idea though. Not just to make sure the dogs are vaccinated, but also because there would be a way of holding owners responsible or banning them if their dogs' behavior is not suited to a dog park environment. I have one dog who loves to run and enjoys other dogs, but we have had several incidents so we no longer go to the nearby dog park.

At the big one around here I've seen postings to be aware of specific dogs and their owners where there have been complaints. Carrying a leash is mandatory, and a dog is supposed to be immediately leashed if it shows any aggression. The park district has its own police department, and they could conceivably arrest an owner.

Ours is free but ended up costing us a pretty penny when another dog attacked our dog, completely unprovoked.

The owner of that beast paid some but not all the bill and only after we threatened to sue.

We haven't been back. That was 3 years ago.

I wouldn't object to having to pay if it meant controlling the animals let in.

The one thing all (good) dog trainers can agree on?

Don't do dog parks...you couldn't pay me to go to one unless it was purely for training at the dog park entry (using the other dogs as a distraction)

Before I knew better I never had to pay, interesting there's such a thing as a paid dog park...

Our municipal parks include fenced-in, leash-free dog parks in several locations. They include ramps and other obstacles to run and play on, fresh water, benches for humans, etc. You get in via a swipe card at an electronic gate - pay around $50 a year for the first dog and a smaller fee for a second, plus provide written shot records. They are very, very popular and the Parks Department will likely start building more in other locations.

When my sister drops her dog off to be looked after, we take him to a near by dog park that is free. It does make me chuckle a bit that our local dog park is right next to the sewer/ poop processing plant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter