Dogs and Dentists?

I wouldn't mind it at all myself, but I can see where some people would. I wouldn't think it's worth polarizing your potential patient base.

I agree with you about people bringing their pets everywhere. That said, I would assume that the dogs are in the office as a comfort for patients who have dental anxiety, so in this case I believe they are serving a purpose.

If the dogs are trained therapy dogs, part of the examination is that they never touch food or random items without the handler giving them the okay. This is both a matter of being sanitary and also for the dog's own well being if visiting hospitals or nursing homes where patients may drop medications or food on the floor that could harm the dog if ingested.

I know some dogs are "lickers", but every dog I have ever had has never licked anything (besides themselves) so I would hope the dentist would not allow a dog (even if it's just a pet) to wander around that is prone to licking.

The OP didn’t specify if these were trained therapy dogs. To me it sounded like these were the dentist’s pets.

Our son's pediatric dentist has a dog. I think she serves a purpose, especially for that age group who may be nervous about going to the dentist.

This is what they say about the dog on their website:

"Poppy is --- Dentistry's only 4-legged employee and therapy dog. As a hypoallergenic Australian Labradoodle, she's here to make every one of your visits pawsitively relaxing. Poppy's obedience training and certification gives her the ability to reduce patient anxiety and stress.

Poppy loves seeing new and returning patients and even has her own office! Her job is to create a comfortable environment. She'll always have a trained handler by her side for patients who may feel nervous around dogs and will never be roaming free."

I would probably enjoy it, but it would depend on whether the dog smelled “clean”. Not like roses, necessarily, but also not nasty like some dogs can smell. (The ones where you pat them and their smell lingers on your hand. Yuck.)

Which reminds me about the strict rules we have in the hospital for therapy dogs, one being that they have to be freshly bathed. Not sure how you would do that “every day” in an office (skin would likely dry out, not to mention a lot of work on a Collie), but just food for thought when dogs and the public intermingle.

I don’t know if I’d want a dog laying on me while I’m getting work done, but I wouldn’t mind them wandering around for petting. I think my kids would love it though.

Our super cool eye Dr and his husband run a very very new age high end place where they host art on the walls (monthly art shows) and have artsy eyeglasses for sale. This Dr and his husband have the most well kept chill poodle blend emotional support dog in the world who just sort of lazily hangs in the room spreading good vibes during the visit.

I would probably enjoy it, but it would depend on whether the dog smelled “clean”. Not like roses, necessarily, but also not nasty like some dogs can smell. (The ones where you pat them and their smell lingers on your hand. Yuck.)

Which reminds me about the strict rules we have in the hospital for therapy dogs, one being that they have to be freshly bathed. Not sure how you would do that “every day” in an office (skin would likely dry out, not to mention a lot of work on a Collie), but just food for thought when dogs and the public intermingle.

Rules must vary depending on location. Our therapy dog did not have to be freshly bathed. He did the hospital once a week, the infusion center once a week, and the airport 2 times a month.

The OP didn’t specify if these were trained therapy dogs. To me it sounded like these were the dentist’s pets.
They did not specify, but did mention a photo of the dog laying on a patient in the exam chair which is something that therapy dogs can be trained to do for patients with anxiety about a procedure.

I’m sure they are not bathing the dogs every day. I had a certified therapy dog and he was supposed to be clean and regularly bathed (which did not necessarily mean immediately before visiting).

In between regular baths, there are waterless shampoos that are like a foam mousse that you rub into the dog’s fur before brushing them out. It makes them smell good and lifts any dirt to be more easily removed with brushing.

Patients are also encouraged to use hand sanitizer before and after petting, which you usually keep clipped to their leash.

My sister will be coming back from her DC trip Thursday so I will ask her then if she knows about the dogs. I'm not going to call the office at this point. I did check back on the Dentist's website and except for the pic of the dog on a patient's lap there was no mention of how the dogs are therapy dogs.

Enjoying the comments, tho. :)

I do not want a dog by me in an office anywhere and I don't want dog hair on me either.
I would find a different dentist
Nope - me neither. I'm not a pet person and while I don't begrudge there being places like this, I would never be a patient there. I understand pet therapy/support animals are being used quite a bit now in stressful settings (and according to this thread, the demand seems to be there). I was pretty annoyed recently when I arrived at a funeral home to make arrangements for a loved one and had their friendly support dog rush up to me. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in a hospital waiting room when a volunteer pet therapist put a little dog on my lap. Get away from me please - I'm not interested.

Last edited:
Hope that dentist remembers to wash up after taking pooch for it’s walks. Nope, I’ll stick with my humans only office.:dog:
Or for that matter after he uses the bathroom. I’m assuming the dentist would/should practice good hand hygiene regardless of who’s poop he’s fooling with.

Nope - me neither. I'm not a pet person and while I don't begrudge there being places like this, I would never be a patient there. I understand pet therapy/support animals are being used quite a bit now in stressful settings (and according to this thread, the demand seems to be there). I was pretty annoyed recently when I arrived at a funeral home to make arrangements for a loved one and had their friendly support dog rush up to me. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in a hospital waiting room when a volunteer pet therapist put a little dog on my lap. Get away from me please - I'm not interested.

They should absolutely at least ask first, that was very unprofessional and plainly stupid to just put a dog on your lap without asking at least. But I dont mind the idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter