Doing a 'no apps' day! Random thoughts and a few questions

I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes for you! It sounds like a blast. Disneyland has so much to offer, in addition to amazing rides and food, that you'll have a great time. Not racing from one thing to the next and just going where you want to go will result in new experiences you would not have had otherwise. Certainly not the way to go for a once-in-a-lifetime tourist visitor, but great for someone like you who goes frequently. One of the years we had passes (we are out of state) and could go for 3 or 4 trips of 3-4 days each, we really enjoyed just absorbing the parks. One trip in wheelchair we only did 2-3 rides per day and still had a wonderful time in our happy place! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

You know, that‘s the wonderful thing about the park (s)…the experience can be whatever you want it to be. Fast or slow, planned every minute or go with the flow. My BFF and I will be going in December, her first time out since pandemic. She‘ll be a little wary in the beginning and we’ll take it slow. Neither of us is getting any younger so that’s another reason we’ll be slow…at least slower than we used to be. We’re not to the point of needing carts yet but I’m sure one of these days, that will happen.

But when we’re sitting at a table eating our Mickey beignet and sipping cocoa or going on Pirates for the tenth time, we’ll be smiling, laughing, giggling like crazy because to me, that’s what Disneyland is all about. Pure joy.

You know, that‘s the wonderful thing about the park (s)…the experience can be whatever you want it to be. Fast or slow, planned every minute or go with the flow. My BFF and I will be going in December, her first time out since pandemic. She‘ll be a little wary in the beginning and we’ll take it slow. Neither of us is getting any younger so that’s another reason we’ll be slow…at least slower than we used to be. We’re not to the point of needing carts yet but I’m sure one of these days, that will happen.

But when we’re sitting at a table eating our Mickey beignet and sipping cocoa or going on Pirates for the tenth time, we’ll be smiling, laughing, giggling like crazy because to me, that’s what Disneyland is all about. Pure joy.

But the thing is, you can have a park day like this WHILE also using the app for conveniences. It isn't an either/or proposition. We use the app every time, but we never "race here and there" or just run from ride to ride. In fact, we hardly ride anything except a few favorites. But standing in line just to stand in line is just wasting time that you COULD instead use to do as you say, sit down and enjoy a snack and some quality time together.

We enjoy the time in the lines too, at least to a certain extent. It gives us time to visit with our group. And often we end up visiting with someone around us to and getting to know them. Can't imagine there is anywhere other than Disney where I would say I don't mind standing in a line: sometimes... :)

You guys all lost me at “we like standing in lines.” 😆😆😆

But then again, I only ever go with young children, who can make standing in any line of any length feel like a special kind of torture (and somehow also make it feel like the line was twice as long as it really was). 😆😆😆

Just because you can mobile order at QS restaurants doesn’t mean you have to. We walked up to Stage Door yesterday. Hungry Bear had walk up too. The only place I’ve been in the last several months where I had to mobile order was for ice cream at Cozy Cone.

Back in ye olden days of the 80's and 90's, I went to the park a lot with my sister, grandma, and great aunt. Our time in the park never felt rushed. Other than a dinner reservation at BB, there was never an agenda or trip plan. My great aunt walked with a cane, so we moved at her pace. There were frequent breaks on benches, for rest and smoking. There was A LOT of admiring the trees and flowers. It was a completely different way of doing the park and I want to see if it can still be done. So I'll be doing a no phone day with my daughter in late September. Paper tickets, no DL app, no genie beanie, no mobile order.

The 'No Plan' Plan
We will probably be there for rope drop or soon after, since we're both early risers. I think we'll do HM first, that's my #1 ride pick. Then probably the other NOS/Adventureland/Frontierland stuff. Then we let the Disney winds lead us. I think we take advantage of any ride that has a 20 minute or less wait time. I also think we take advantage of any empty bench in the shade. We'll try to eat at off times, maybe do a late breakfast around 10. I'm sure my kid will want a churro from every cart. We'll do Main St window shopping in the afternoon when everything is crowded. I love looking at all of the pumpkin faces! We'll probably stay for the night time projection thing, then bail out. There's no Fantasmic or fireworks on the night we will be there.

Questions...
We have reservations at Cafe Orleans for dinner (hoping to get BB instead!). Do we just show up a little before our reservation time to check in?
Is there any possibility of getting a walk up reservation at BB?
Are there any QS food options that don't have mobile order? I feel like Rancho del Zocalo was the last one, but now it has mobile order too. Does the corn dog cart have mobile order when its open?
Best places for disneybounding ideas? Pinterest? Never done it before, and thought it might be fun to try.
Can we do photos without a photopass? Will CMs take photos with my camera?
I've asked CMs to take my picture with my phone a few times and they were happy to do it.

For Disney bounding, think of your favorite character and buy an outfit based on their theme/ colors. If you do a search for it I'm sure you'll find lots of fun ideas!

We used mobile ordering most of the time, but did walk up at Pym's for breakfast. By lunch time the line was too long so we mobile ordered.
Jolly Holiday had a walk-up line, too (in June.) I think we mobile ordered everything else.

Have a great time!

Clarification #2, because some of yall are getting rude. I like my idea and I'm doing it. No amount of naysaying will change my mind. If you think that makes me stubborn, my husband agrees with you. If I'm wasting my time, its actually my time to waste! This trip is about me and my kid, personally and specifically. This is not about condemning phones or apps or technology. If my idea makes you feel some kind of way, that's on you. Go sit with that for a minute before typing a condescending response to a question I didn't ask.

Again, a big thank you to everyone who has offered helpful info here and in PMs. I really appreciate it! I asked my daughter if she wanted us to have matching outfits for the day, and she said 'I don't know'. I'm pretty sure that's her way of saying 'no, but I don't want to hurt your feelings' :)

You go for it!

I am not a local and only go every now and then. And wait for it you naysayers...... there are days I have not used tech. I am not looking go on every big ride or rack up X amount of rides in a day. And yes, the lines can be a boat load of fun to me. I'm there to soak it ALL up. Is that not Walt's dream?

Just because you can mobile order at QS restaurants doesn’t mean you have to. We walked up to Stage Door yesterday. Hungry Bear had walk up too. The only place I’ve been in the last several months where I had to mobile order was for ice cream at Cozy Cone.

You also have to mobile order Dole Whips at the Tiki Juice bar. No walk up ordering.

emtink: I've been surprised too at how judgmental some have been of your choice on how you want to spend your day. Why not experiment? Glad you don't care and are going for it anyway! Please post back about how it goes!

The last time I went to Disneyland, my favorite snack of the trip came from Tropical Hideaway (the place to get Dole Whips around the corner from the Tiki Room and the Tiki Juice Room). It was a raspberry Dole Whip that was amazing. I had it twice during the trip.
I just looked at the menu and it doesn’t look like they have raspberry anymore! I never tried that. It sounds so good!

I just looked at the menu and it doesn’t look like they have raspberry anymore! I never tried that. It sounds so good!

When I was there 2 weeks ago I asked about the raspberry that I had heard about. They didn't have it anymore. They had pineapple, watermelon and mango. I don't like the pineapple ones so I was excited to try raspberry. I don't like mango in general, but the mango Dole Whip was so good and refreshing!

Clarification #2, because some of yall are getting rude. I like my idea and I'm doing it. No amount of naysaying will change my mind. If you think that makes me stubborn, my husband agrees with you. If I'm wasting my time, its actually my time to waste! This trip is about me and my kid, personally and specifically. This is not about condemning phones or apps or technology. If my idea makes you feel some kind of way, that's on you. Go sit with that for a minute before typing a condescending response to a question I didn't ask.

Again, a big thank you to everyone who has offered helpful info here and in PMs. I really appreciate it! I asked my daughter if she wanted us to have matching outfits for the day, and she said 'I don't know'. I'm pretty sure that's her way of saying 'no, but I don't want to hurt your feelings' :)
We do no/minimal app days a lot and enjoy every single one of them. Since you are already familiar with the parks and are planning to be flexible and low-key, go for it!

I asked about walk ups yesterday, and they confirmed you need to use the app, it cannot be done at the podium. Explained you get fit in and they would have no way to notify you. They did say you could go to guest relations and they could check for you if there would be a space in the next 20 mins and check you in.

I asked about walk ups yesterday, and they confirmed you need to use the app, it cannot be done at the podium. Explained you get fit in and they would have no way to notify you. They did say you could go to guest relations and they could check for you if there would be a space in the next 20 mins and check you in.
This is definitely true at Lamplight Lounge. At Cafe Orleans, we have been able to check in at the podium and have seen other people ask the CM to add them to the walk up list.
OP, ask at the restaurant podium, but be prepared to be told to use the app.

This is definitely true at Lamplight Lounge. At Cafe Orleans, we have been able to check in at the podium and have seen other people ask the CM to add them to the walk up list.
OP, ask at the restaurant podium, but be prepared to be told to use the app.
I asked at Carthay and they directed me to the guest relations umbrella. I thought last trip I saw people get added to the wait list at Carnation on our trip in July. But guest relations implied this will be the new way.

I asked at Carthay and they directed me to the guest relations umbrella. I thought last trip I saw people get added to the wait list at Carnation on our trip in July. But guest relations implied this will be the new way.
We did notice this weekend that DCA TS locations seem to be decisively "app only." DL locations were a bit more flexible, at least for now. But you're right that there is a noticeable push all over DLR to move to doing things via the app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter