Doing Disney Quest Solo? And other Disney Quest Questions.

BornABrook

Earning My Ears
I’m planning a solo trip to Orlando next September. I wasn’t planning on going to any parks my first day there, but was planning on spending some time at the resort pool, driving around a bit since I’ll have my own car, and getting my souvenir shopping for friends and family done at Downtown Disney.

I’ve seen a few posts about Disney Quest in other forums, and I’ve found a few web sites that give a little bit of info on it. It’s starting to sound like an appealing way to spend a few hours on my first day, if it won't take over my whole day.

I have some questions. If anybody could answer any of them, I would greatly appreciate it!
1. Has anybody here ever done Disney Quest solo? It sounds like a lot of the games/attractions are designed so that you work together with other people. Did you have fun by yourself or is this something that’s really only fun if you have family or friends with you? I’m guessing on most of the rides you’d be paired with strangers but it sounds like that Bumper Car type ride requires two people, one to shoot and one to drive. Did you skip that one, or were you able to ride it somehow? Are there other rides that require two people that would be difficult/impossible to do solo? Did you feel out of place being there alone? I’ve done theme parks alone before and had a great time, but this seems kind of different since everything is so much more interactive.

2. How many hours would you estimate that it would take to experience all the main attractions at least once? If I go, it will be on a Saturday, but I should be able to get there when it first opens.

3. Are there any web sites that have a lot of detail on Disney Quest? A found a few web sites, but most of them gave pretty cursory overviews.

4. I read somewhere that they had some of the older video games like Ms Pacman. Do you have to pay to play these or are they free? I adored this game when I was a kid (and teen), as well as some of the older games. Do they have Q-Bert?? Is it really hard to get a chance to play them due to crowds, or do they have enough machines to go around? Is there any kind of line system for the video games, or is it everybody for themselves?

5. Possibly related to question #4, I read that you have to pay to play some games. Which games are these? How much do they cost?

6. I read something about some of the games giving out tickets which can be exchanged for prizes. Are these only the pay to play games? What are the prizes like? Just stuffed animals and stuff like that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brook

I've can only answer a few of your questions. I've never done DQ solo, however, I have had my kids abandon me there so I had a lot of solo time. A lot of my favorite things are best done in a group. I like the raft ride and the treasure hunt. The treasure hunt you really do need an other.... unless your really friendly and you can latch onto someone.

Others like the pinball (you're the ball), the sword game, Aladin's carpet, can be done by yourself. The video games are free. The make your own rollercoaster.... that may cost money. I skipped the bumper car one, more so cuz of the line. But there doesn't seem like a lot of solo pairing up that I noticed.

As for number of hours, personally I think the fun of DQ is the smaller attractions and you could spend hours and hours there. Sat's are more crowded but if you're there early you should be able to do a lot.

I don't remember Qbert (wow- now that brings back memories) I play pinball and there's a couple of them. There's a whole floor of these games and so there's not really a long line. there's no queing system but nor did I find it difficult to get a turn.

The only cost one I recall was the build your own toy.

Hope this helps.

Haven't done this solo; but there are definitely plenty of things to do to keep you occupied!

Yes, Q-bert is there on the floor with the other older games, and no, you don't have to pay for these. I love Q-bert and Frogger too:D The only games you have to pay for are the ones that give you tickets to exchange for prizes; we didn't do any of these. You can of course buy the end result of a lot of them - your toy in build your own toy, your picture, your music recording, you get the idea...

The build your own coaster is free (although if you have motion sickness beware!), if you want you can buy a video of your coaster (surprise, surprise). This was a lot of fun (until I felt sick anyway), you "build" your coaster and each piece of track comes with a different scariness rating. DH and I tried for 5 or the scariest level on each piece of track; we found out from a CM that if you want you can just tell them you want a coaster with a complete 5 rating (or all 1) and they'll put that in for you to ride instead of one you built yourself. There's also a red button inside if you want to stop it - I came pretty close...

The POTC might be hard with just one person - we found it difficult with 2, but it's still a lot of fun. The Astroblaster bumper car ride was fun - you pick up and throw balls, if they hit another car on the target it makes the other car spin, that would be fine by yourself. DH found a boxing game he was fascinated with, while I found a Star Wars racer game that I liked, and both were one person games.

I think I listed our favorites - don't worry you'll find plenty to do and have a good time:)

Maybe I should have waited another day or two, but you know... instant gratification and all that.

The previous posters did not respond affirmatively with respect to your first question.

I'm also wondering about going to DQ solo. (And I don't mean Dairy Queen!) You've seen some other web sites and posts in other forums, as have I. Did you click here: http://www.wdwig.com/dqfaq.htm ?

I'm pretty sure one must temporarily "become non-solo" to enjoy the multi-person "rides" and attractions. There's just no way such things as the river raft ride and the pirate "shoot 'em up" can be done alone. But I'm just guessing here. I'll know more after my solo trip to Walt Disney World next month.

Since you're not going for a year, PM me in about 5 1/2 weeks and I'll let you know if I learned anything. :)

Thanks everybody for your responses! I’m not totally decided yet, but I am leaning in the direction of giving it a try. I can’t think of anybody I might travel with on future trips who would have the slightest interest in Disney Quest, so if I really want to try it this would probably be my best chance while I’m on my own and able to do my own thing. If I don’t like it, I doubt anybody will try to force me to stay. :) Besides, free Ms Pacman and Q-Bert? What more can you ask for?

billybaruch1, Thanks, I might take you up on that! I look forward to hearing how your experience went. Yes, I did see the FAQ on the WDWIG site. I think that might have been one of the first ones I clicked on that interested me enough to try searching further.

Brook

I go solo to Disneyquest and have a great time. I love Pirates of the Caribbean. The CM's ask other groups around me if they would mind if I join in. The more the merrier with that wild game.

The only activities that would be hard to do alone is the bumper car ride and raft ride. I see couples where only one in the party wants to do some of the activites. Be friendly and combine with someone else. You may just make their day.

Most other games are geared toward singles anyway. It is a fun place to spend a few hours.

Wolfgang Puck Express or the take out window at Bongo's are great dining choices for singles. Ghiradelli's has a long bar with seats for singles dining there.

I finish the night solo at the comedy club (a venue that my hubby describes as torture).

Go and have a great time.

Many of the games that look like you need to insert coins or swipe a credit card also work for free. If the start button doesn't work, look for a round green button a little smaller than a dime. You will still have to push the usual start button a moment later.

Those machines that give back tickets to trade for prizes are pay-only.

The bumper cars (Astro Blaster) can be operated single handedly but it is difficult to both steer and shoot the balls, you will get hit by other players more often and score fewer hits yourself.

Trying to do the Virtual Jungle Cruise alone is at least a worthwhile experiment, unless or until you get dizzy like I would.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Thanks for the responses, bearzabout and seashoreCM! Sorry for not responding earlier. I didn’t have any time to check the boards this past week. I appreciate the tips! It sounds like it would be worth giving DisneyQuest a try while I’m there.

Thanks also for the hint on the little green buttons, seashoreCM. I’ll make a note to remember to look for them when I go.

Brook

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter