Doing MK day + after hours on same day

atticus_finch

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if anyone had any experience going to MK during regular hours and staying for after hours that same day. Would it be too much?

This being our first time in decades, we’re excited to enjoy all the day events (characters/parades/dining), but also less crowds and shorter lines for rides during after hours.

I think it depends on the person. I might be able to do it, but I'd need a break in the middle somewhere. Early entry to 2, leave the park and then go back around 7?

If you're in the park the entire time, you'll probably be exhausted. I usually rope drop, leave whichever park by 3 pm, and then come back to a park after dinner.

For the MK late night, I usually just come back in early enough to get ice cream from The Plaza and them grab a fireworks viewing spot. That is also a good night to do a table service dinner.

Are you using park hopper tickets? I always use hoppers and usually make the Wednesday late night my first time in the Magic Kingdom. Except my last trip in August, I went up to Magic Kingdom the first night because there were storms down at Epcot & Studios. Then I come back and rope drop MK usually on Friday.

If you're going when there are the Halloween or Christmas parties, you should rope drop MK on a day there is a party.

Depends on your families energy level. We would do it. We've done all day in the parks and then gone to Christmas and Halloween parties many many times. We've also started off at parks at rope drop and back when they had evening magic hours-- we might hop to the park with those and stay until close.

After hours does run an hour later than the parties do or MKs old extra magic hours--- it is technically 10-1 with an early entrance at 7:00. If we did it, we might go around opening time (we wouldn't try to get there way before rope drop) and either stay all day, or maybe go back to the resort for a couple hours in the afternoon and get back around 5:30 or 6:00. You could also just sleep in a bit and head to MK-- but although we are more night time people than early morning people we generally don't do that as the lines are typically the longest in the afternoon. We try to get there close to opening to take advantage of the shorter lines.

I don't think it's too much, but I would probably determine just how much time you can stay in the park without becoming completely exhausted. Perhaps sleep in and get to MK late morning or go at rope drop and take an afternoon break. If you were to do a whole day in the park without leaving, I would probably schedule an early dinner so you have time to sit down and regroup before the event begins (but leave enough space for the free snacks!)

What are the ages of the people in your party? Anybody with physical limitations? How energetic is everyone? Do you work physical jobs where you're on your feet all day or sit at a computer? What do you do on a typical weekend?

All this plays into whether all day plus an after hours event is realistic for you or not. I've done it. I've also done all 6 parks in a day (4 Disney parks plus 2 Universal parks). And I've done MK all day and then driven all night to go to Six Flags Atlanta the next day. BUT, I pretty much grew up at the parks and worked there off and on for years. I'm used to being on my feet all day, used to the FL weather, and have a ridiculous amount of stamina. A lot of people I know would be absolutely miserable by early evening.

Also, are you doing a single day trip? Or is this one day in the middle of a week of park days? Because you're likely to be exhausted the next day. If you're doing multiple park days in a row, it's all about balance.

Thanks for the replies!

It’s just boyfriend and myself, so no kids. It’s his first time ever going to DW so I feel like it’s best if he can experience day + after hours. We are in our early 30s and although we are not super active but we love hiking and have no issues walking all day whenever we visit cities like NYC.

We have a 3 day pass starting January 23 - planning on doing MK monday, AK Tuesday, and HS Wednesday. So I have the option of doing the after hours on Monday but just not sure how crazy that would be. I’m thinking I will end up doing it but going back to the hotel between 3-7 or just looking up if there are good places to sit and relax at the park whenever we need a break. I have reservations for Skipper Canteen at 1:40p so maybe at that point we’ll know whether we need a nap or want to keep going.

It's not crazy, I've done something similar several times doing a full day at Universal and then an after hours at Disney. I wouldn't do it with kids but when it is just my sister and I we have a blast. Our feet are killing us by the end of the night but we don't care. We are doing it again next month. We don't usually take a break other than meals but we do tend to plan a longer sit down meal for dinner. What you have planned sounds good.

I will say we tend to not get up as early the next morning so if you have plans for the next day take that into consideration that you may want a little later start. Just by the time you leave the park, get back to your hotel, get to your room and into bed it is going to be very very late indeed and getting up super early for rope drop the next morning may be difficult! So depending on what your plans are the next day I say go for it

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

It’s just boyfriend and myself, so no kids. It’s his first time ever going to DW so I feel like it’s best if he can experience day + after hours. We are in our early 30s and although we are not super active but we love hiking and have no issues walking all day whenever we visit cities like NYC.

We have a 3 day pass starting January 23 - planning on doing MK monday, AK Tuesday, and HS Wednesday. So I have the option of doing the after hours on Monday but just not sure how crazy that would be. I’m thinking I will end up doing it but going back to the hotel between 3-7 or just looking up if there are good places to sit and relax at the park whenever we need a break. I have reservations for Skipper Canteen at 1:40p so maybe at that point we’ll know whether we need a nap or want to keep going.
Based on what you've shared about your travel experience, I think your plan is a great one to go for both Early Theme Park Entry (ETPE), enjoy the park, take a break and then go back. Totally doable for the 2 of you based on what you've shared.

My DD and I have done similar (with late hours, not after hours) and been just fine. We tend to go hard on our Disney days and sleep once home. :)

Thanks for the replies!

It should definitely be doable, especially with AK as your second day. AK is BIG, so a lot of steps, but a more relaxed park overall. One thing I highly recommend if you decide not to take a break on your MK day is to plan calm activities after lunch. CoP, a spin or two on the TTA, things that give you the opportunity to rest and rejuvenate for a couple of hours in the heat of the day. Then you can pick up the pace again late afternoon. Have fun!

We're a family that is always there at rope drop to closing. That would work for us. In Christmas times past we'd be in the parks at 8 a.m. and not leave until after midnight. For a nice break late afternoon, we sometimes take the monorail over to the Polynesian Hotel, get quick service food there, and then either sit at talk over by the beach or in the nice lobby just to relax in a different setting.

If we need a rest break or nap in the park, we like the Carousel of Progress and snooze thru that one.

Sounds fun to me.

You could do it for sure, especially with a nap and staying somewhere close. My problem is that this is a really expensive way to buy tickets.

I'd rather book the party on arrival day or do the half day on the day you leave.

It also will probably torpedo rope drop the next day, so there's that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter