Dole Plantation

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Wondering what people's opinion is about visiting the Dole Plantation. Did you find it "worth it"? Interesting? Tourist trap?

Not worth it as a destination but worth a look-see as a stop on the way to North Shore. Tour buses do make it a stop, so it can get crowded at times.

We did the train ride and the kids liked that. Didn't do the maze though. Pineapple cutting demonstration is popular because they give out samples. (At least they used to, not sure about now with COVID.)

I've been to the Dole Plantation, but in all fairness I haven't been on any of the tours. If you're headed to the north shore and have the time, I'd say make the stop. I don't think I'd make a special trip to the Plantation, but we always stop when we pass it, to shop, have a Dole Whip and stretch our legs.

Not worth it as a destination but worth a look-see as a stop on the way to North Shore. Tour buses do make it a stop, so it can get crowded at times.

We did the train ride and the kids liked that. Didn't do the maze though. Pineapple cutting demonstration is popular because they give out samples. (At least they used to, not sure about now with COVID.)

Agreed, we would stop by on the way North for a quick Dole Whip fix and continue on

The Dole Plantation is a destination for my family--we have no interest in the north shore. My kids love the train and the maze, and of course the Dole whips. My wife and I enjoy the massive store. Good for a half-day of fun away from Aulani.

The Dole Plantation is a destination for my family--we have no interest in the north shore. My kids love the train and the maze, and of course the Dole whips. My wife and I enjoy the massive store. Good for a half-day of fun away from Aulani.
Could you please describe the train & the maze? TIA.

Oh no dear god no. This is the biggest tourist trap I have found on the island. There is truly nothing to see here but a store. The do a pineapple cutting demo offer to sell you knives.
The Dole Whip I don’t even know how what I am about to say is even possible considering you are at the Dole Planation but the Dole Whip at Aulani tastes better.
The train ride mentioned a way to pull $10 a head out of your pockets for a ride into the fields where they show you get this nothing. In fact the“people” in the fields are plywood cutouts. Really avoid this place except if you just can’t help yourself. Oh yeah the same goes for some of the macadamia nut stands as well.

Could you please describe the train & the maze? TIA.
The train is a cute little narrow-gauge railway with a narrated tour as it runs throughout the plantation. It teaches about the history of pineapples in Hawaii, the Dole company, and pineapples themselves. The previous poster appears to have wanted it to be a theme park ride--it is not, just a fun way to learn a bit in an entertaining way. The maze is like a corn maze (or a "maize maze") but in the midst of tropical plants, and it has a neat little scavenger hunt if you choose to do it. Go to https://www.doleplantation.com/ for good descriptions of all the activities. We also bought our tickets in advance on that site.

Is it touristy? Sure, but you're in a tourist mecca. But to call it the biggest tourist trap on the island seems unfair to me. We felt we got our money's worth, learned a bit, and had fun as a family.

It is very much a tourist trap, but it's a nice way stop between Aulani and the North Shore. You can, however, walk away without spending a dime--at least you could when we were there 5 or so years ago. We did enjoy walking around the gardens and looking at all the different types of pineapple. Oh, the exception to not spending a dime is getting a Dole Whip! You have to do that.

Its kitschy and a tourist trap for sure, but we were glad we did it once. Probably wouldn't do it again on a future trip, no need really. I found several inexpensive souvenirs for people back home (stuffed pineapples for the kids, chocolate covered pineapple for relatives and the office, etc.) and we enjoyed an authentic Dole Whip. We also did the train ride which was unique to see how everything is grown and where it comes from. I still think of it whenever I buy Dole produce at home!

I would also mention that we arrived when they opened, around 9:30am, and did the train ride first. Its recommended to arrive early and do the attractions in order of importance because the lines build throughout the day and can get quite long. We waited about 15 minutes for the train ride, which is maybe 15-20 mins long from what I remember. We then waited in a decent line for a Dole Whip, and did some souvenir shopping. We left around 12pm, so it did it eat up some time. I also noticed that parking appeared to be a challenge as we were leaving. So definitely a stop that should be done in the morning. We did it on the way to the North Shore, which worked out well.

Glad to hear everybody's opinion on this. Now I'll give mine. First, let me say this wasn't a troll post, I really wanted to know what others felt.

Having been to Aulani five times now, we've stopped at the Dole Plantation on four of those visits. Only on the most recent one (which was for 20 days) did we finally decide we had seen enough. We travel with a group that enjoys shopping at these kind of places and it was also a convenient spot to stop for the rest rooms when on the way to/from the north shore. Personally, I never did the train ride, and I briefly played in the maze. I did find the basic pineapple info you see on signs to be semi-interesting. I did take a bunch of pictures (I'm kind of a camera nut) of stuff on the grounds. And yes, we did buy some of those silly things and a Dole Whip.

On our next trip, unless we are there with 'Ohau newbies, we will probably pass up the Dole Plantation.

We stopped there on our way back from the North Shore. Tourist trap - sure! But we were touristsso that’s ok!!!! Loved the dole whip!

We liked it but we don't do it every trip! The train tour is very informative and educational for kids (and actually I had no idea it takes almost 3 years for a pineapple to be fully grown). We also do the maze because my family is competitive and active and we try to see who can find all the 6 hidden medallions first. YMMV

It is a tourist trap ... but I am a sucker for those roadside attraction kinda dives, if I have time and money on a particular trip. Life is always a little better with Dole Whip :)

Dole Plantation is good to do once and that's about it. It's a one and done for many people for obvious reasons. Make sure you get your Dole Whip though if you go. I recommend the dole whip topped with chunks of pineapple. So good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter