Dolphin Not Waiving Resort Fee

mikelan6

World Traveler, Usually Optimistic
I just returned from a stay at the WDW Dolhphin Resort. I requested the $10.00 "resort fee" be waived, explaining that I did not use any of the features, and the clerk told me it could not be taken off. When I asked why it was not included in the nightly rate, she simply re-instated that it was a resort fee and not part of the room charge. I was not too happy about that.

How strange, I just booked a room last night for May 11-17 at the Swan & explained that we did not need any of the items that the resort fee was charged for & the man said no problem it would be waived.

I suppose its who you speak to & how much of a fuss you are willing to make.

How interesting. I also heard that somewhere else. Maybe the Swan will waive but the Dolphin won't...in that case, I have a 4th of July reservation that I'll be switching from the Dolphin to the Swan. I really wouldn't mind paying it if I were planning to use anything that's included in the fee...isn't the point of paying the fee to cover your usage of these amenities? Or is it to provide those amenities for everybody, whether or not they are used?

It makes sense for the physical stuff like the health club, but it burns me to pay for coffee that I won't drink and a newspaper that I won't read.

We are staying at the Dolphin with my sister in August (as is another one of my sisters a different week in August). When my first sister booked, she was told the fee could be waived at check-in. When the other sister booked two days laster, she was told it could not be waived, but she could still try at check-in.

I think their policy of not waiving the fee stinks. We won't be using the health club (we'll get enough exercise walking around the parks), local phone calls will be made using my cell phone (I have free long distance and roaming with my monthly service), and we usually don't read the paper (and if we did, we could get it the entire week for about $3). I've seen hotels charge electricity surcharges during an energy crisis, and that didn't bother me because it was something I used. But to have to pay $10 a night for all of these "extras" that I have no intention of using really bugs me.

Hopefully if everyone keeps on complaining about that fee, they will reconsider their decision to make the fee mandatory.

Karen

I called the Dolphin to book our upcoming trip since that is usually where we stay and they wouldn't waive the fee. The Swan said they would so quess where we'll be staying this time?

I agree with everything the above posters mentioned, why pay for something you're not going to use!

We stayed at Swan last month. When I booked, I was told I could have the fee waived at check-in. First they said no, they couldn't waive it, then finally they waived half of it ($5.00).
Resort fees are so bogus. If you use special services like internet access, health club, in room coffee, etc. and they want to charge you for that, fine. But when it is an extra charge and you aren't going to use it, you feel ripped off.

When I asked to have it waived, the cm reminded me that I was getting a discounted rate (govt. rate). Like that should make me feel better about paying for something I'm not going to use!

Still, overall, the stay at Swan was a pleasant one, and we would return there.

We are staying at the Dolphin in June - which will be our third stay there! I do not mind paying the resort fee and just consider it part of the room rate. We should all consider that no other EPCOT resort comes close to offering the discounted room rates of the Swan and Dolphin... even when the resort fee is added on!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Then, they should make it part of the resort charge and not tell us it's to cover our usage of extras we're not using.

We had a great stay at the Dolphin last year, and we'll be staying there again in May.
I agree with The Pluto People, in that no other Epcot resort's cost comes close to the Dolphin's discounted rates. I qualify for the Govt. Rate, and it's hard to beat especially for a deluxe.

Just a thought, but I wonder in not waiving the Resort Fee, the Dolphin is feeling that too many guests are booking with the discounted Govt. Rate or the Priceline rates(of around $72/night!), and are just trying to get more money. I rather them just add it to the rate, we still are coming out ahead. The way it is now, it makes me feel that I'm wasting money on things I won't be using.

We still are very much looking forward to staying at the Dolphin just the same:)

Its interesting that these 2 hotels "force" the resort fee while other starwoods properties don't even mention it, don't charge yu unless you want to use their fitness room.

I'd like to add a couple of thoughts. First, many other Starwood Properties are not resorts, and thus do not have a resort fee. Most require a fee to use the healthclub, etc. They also do not provide the level of pools and other amenities that are found at the S/D, including park transportation.

Next, I think it's a nightmare for them trying to track who paid and who didn't. That is the kind of cost that in the long run will run up room rates.

And lastly, with all of the great discounts that they offer where people are getting deluxe rooms at a moderate or less price, I think that people should just be happy and deal with it. Even when the resort fee is added the rooms are still much less than a comparable room at a Disney owned resort. You are told about it up front when you book, right? If you don't want to pay it, stay someplace else! In all honesty, if people keeping making a stink about it, they'll just drop the resort fee and raise the nightly room rate to the same amount. Do you pay 6% or 11% on the resort fee in tax?

BTW, does anyone know how many years the initial contract for the S/D was for? I'm wondering if Disney will not renew the leases when they come up.

Anne

Originally posted by ducklite
I'd like to add a couple of thoughts. First, many other Starwood Properties are not resorts, and thus do not have a resort fee. Most require a fee to use the healthclub, etc. They also do not provide the level of pools and other amenities that are found at the S/D, including park transportation.

Next, I think it's a nightmare for them trying to track who paid and who didn't. That is the kind of cost that in the long run will run up room rates.

And lastly, with all of the great discounts that they offer where people are getting deluxe rooms at a moderate or less price, I think that people should just be happy and deal with it. Even when the resort fee is added the rooms are still much less than a comparable room at a Disney owned resort. You are told about it up front when you book, right? If you don't want to pay it, stay someplace else! In all honesty, if people keeping making a stink about it, they'll just drop the resort fee and raise the nightly room rate to the same amount. Do you pay 6% or 11% on the resort fee in tax?

BTW, does anyone know how many years the initial contract for the S/D was for? I'm wondering if Disney will not renew the leases when they come up.

Anne

There is 11% tax on the resort fee. (At least there was 11% tax collected on the resort fee charged by the Wyndham Palace this past November).

While I am not 100% sure, I seem to recall reading something about a "99 year" land lease. (But it could also be a figment of my imagination).

I agree that if a person knows about the resort fee in advance (when booking), complaining about it is akin to whining, especially if you are already getting a significant discount. Many resorts charge resort fees. If you don't think it is reasonable and/or don't want to pay it, then stay at another hotel. The discounted rates for the Swan/Dolphin, even including the daily resort fees, are an incredible value.

My own thoughts on this.

The location of the Swan and Dolphin is fabulous - you will not find another deluxe resort offered for what we are able to get at S&D. Even if you add the rsort fee.

The resort fee is $10.00 including tax - at least that is what I see on my bill from Dec. It is not taxed at 11%.

If the $10.00 was added to the room rate it would become a total of $11.10 when you add the tax.

My take on this is not that you are being charged for what you use, you are being charged for what is available to you.

If enough people continually complain about this, you may see the fee go away - but I will gaurentee you will not see rooms for the rate we get today.

Try staying at the Grand Hotel on Macinac Island (you know the one where Somewhere in Time was filmed). It is about $600.00 a night rack rate. Good luck ever getting a discount. Guess what - they have a $23.00 per night resort fee that we never were told about until we checked in. And you know what they don't waive it. We were told if you don't like it don't stay here.

I'm sure glad that is not the response we get from the S&D. But folks the resort fee is part of what it takes to stay at this resort. There is nothing unfair about it - it is part of the pricing for this resort and allows them to offer High Speed Internet Access, Phone service, Coffee in the room, daily paper, and the health club. If you take advantage of those or not - they are available and are part of what you pay for when you stay here.

Trekker is right about the tax. I just made my reservations for the Swan last night and I was told that the resort fee could not be waived. I asked why it wasn't just included as part of the price and she said it was because it wasn't taxed. I also don't agree with it because we will not be using any of the things included. Another poster said that if we weren't happy with paying the resort fee to go somewhere else. I fully intend to do that if I get a good rate at a deluxe when codes come out. We now use S/D only as a back up since they are imposing a fee on us for things we do not use.

Paid it on our last stay -
IMHO- It is a necessary evil.
It sounds like it is a principle fee to most.
If they change it to a "guarantee you get a great rate for an on site hotel fee" no one would have any arguments.
Maybe we should ask Disney for some of our ticket money back if we don't use their bathrooms or ride the monorail while we are there. Necessary evil.

Kevin

I have to agree that it is part of the rate. It would be almost impossible to track who used the things this covers. If you don't like it, stay somewhere else it is a free World. Just enjoy the experience and the resort.:smooth:

If it is impossible to track the things it covers, then why do they even bother to specifically enumerate the things it covers? I've stayed at both resorts when they would waive the fee (that was as soon as last year) and upon checkin they would always explain to you exactly what the resort fee covers, and there is never any mention of the pool or the transportation.

As for the discount thing, I'll pay the resort fee if necessary if Disney doesn't come out with AP rates for my reservation period, because at Disney rack rate it would still be cheaper to stay at the Dolphin than at a Disney moderate. But if AP rates come out, I'm taking the Disney moderate. They don't provide coffee, newspaper or health club, but I wasn't interested in that stuff anyway.

Just my opinion but... there is NO comparison between a moderate and the Swan/Dolphin, even if the AP rate at the moderate is lower... I would always pay a bit more for the S/D over a moderate! :cool:

I think it is wonderful that there are different resorts available for different people. I personally hope Disney comes through and offers those codes or AP rates for all you folks waiting for them.

But if they do not - isn't great to know you can stay at a deluxe resort in the Epcot area for the discounted rates the S&D offer.

But no one should be surprised anymore about the fact that they do have a resort fee and it is part of the price of staying at this great resort.

I'm not surprised that they have a resort fee, they've had it for years. I AM surprised that they won't allow it to be waived any longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter