Don’t know how to really explain it, but the magic just isn’t there.

bobgobblin15

I've got the disney fever!!
Just got back from Disney World yesterday, last trip being 2019. The magic just isn’t there. Not sure if it was due to the fact it is spring break and your shoulder to shoulder with people. It’s the little things I noticed. Cast members aren’t trading pins, they don’t slice your Caramel chocolate apples anymore, my favorite store in Germany that sold Black Forest clocks is no longer there, and I don’t believe sorcerers of the magic kingdom is available anymore. Anyone been lately and feel the same?

I was there in Aug 2021 and we had a blast. The sorcerers thing has been gone for a while, but we never were into it. I think it depends on what you enjoy most while being there. Maybe? Will be going again soon when it's busy so I will have to compare. August was not that busy for us and we loved that.

Just got back from Disney World yesterday, last trip being 2019. The magic just isn’t there. Not sure if it was due to the fact it is spring break and your shoulder to shoulder with people. It’s the little things I noticed. Cast members aren’t trading pins, they don’t slice your Caramel chocolate apples anymore, my favorite store in Germany that sold Black Forest clocks is no longer there, and I don’t believe sorcerers of the magic kingdom is available anymore. Anyone been lately and feel the same?
You hit on two of my family's favorites there. My 12y/o son really missed Sorcerers. And my wife was really disappointed that the clock shop wasn't there/open. I agree, the magic is gone and the people in charge right now have no idea how to bring it back, if they even want to.

We felt the same way on our last two trips. Thankfully, we were annual passholders and didn't feel bad about leaving the parks after about two hours of cranky crowds. We usually visit twice a year, but we just finished planning our vacations through 2023 and won't be returning during that timeframe. I do believe that Disney can rectify some of the issues that took away from the magic (and hope that they do). I am optimistic that the magic will return. But until then, the world is our oyster as we plan on discovering some new destinations and experiences.

Based on two recent visits, I think:

- Magic is still there, thanks to terrific over-worked cast members. But it's hanging by a thread.

- Disney is exploiting pandemic after-shocks to justify poorer service levels ("We aren't making your bed due to Covid protocols..."--never mind that they make beds between guests, and that the local Fairfield Inn is making beds every day...)

- Disney is doing its best to increase stock price in the short term (at the possible expense of loyalty and goodwill in the long term)

- Genie+ is a shameless and shameful money grab, and, coupled with the park reservation system, makes things better for Disney, damn the guest experience

- As someone else here noted, planning a WDW vacation is now very much like participating in a war game

- As long as demand is strong, Disney has no reason to change anything (but I think current demand is being artificially boosted by pent up Covid demand)

Yep magic is gone gone gone. We were there this week. Genie + is a money grab and useless. Lines are ridiculous. So many things have changed in the parks and not for the better. Food is still delicious though!

Yes, we felt similarly disappointed.

What was most upsetting to me was how strained and stressed many CMs seemed. When I remarked to one that the feel of the parks seemed oddly different, she said, "Yes. Things have changed." Said in a tone that indicated she meant "and not for the better, either."

Then, there was a day I spotted a spilled popcorn box in MK--that was still there 3 hours later. We never saw a single white uniformed groundskeeper with dustpan and broom anywhere.

It was the first time in nearly 20 years I came home wondering if I wanted to return. Previously, I was eager to start planning our return before we'd even left, as in, "Next time, we'd better be able to get Crystal Palace breakfast with Pooh and Friends."

Now, I had to answer the WDW gate sign's "See ya real soon" with "I don't know about that, Mickey, unless things change somewhat for the better."

Yes, we felt similarly disappointed.

What was most upsetting to me was how strained and stressed many CMs seemed. When I remarked to one that the feel of the parks seemed oddly different, she said, "Yes. Things have changed." Said in a tone that indicated she meant "and not for the better, either."

Then, there was a day I spotted a spilled popcorn box in MK--that was still there 3 hours later. We never saw a single white uniformed groundskeeper with dustpan and broom anywhere.

It was the first time in nearly 20 years I came home wondering if I wanted to return. Previously, I was eager to start planning our return before we'd even left, as in, "Next time, we'd better be able to get Crystal Palace breakfast with Pooh and Friends."

Now, I had to answer the WDW gate sign's "See ya real soon" with "I don't know about that, Mickey, unless things change somewhat for the better."

So true about the return trip! So sad that that feeling is gone :( We always felt the same way but not this time.

I was really hoping it was just me being crazy and having my expectations set too high especially after the quandary Covid sent the world into but it looks like I’m not. The service is poorer! Not once did house keeping come to our room the entire time we were there. The food at the hotel ( Riverside) was not that great. Genie+ is awful! I’m sorry but I don’t want to have to get on my phone in the middle of Disney to try and get a lightening pass. And something else I noticed, in Japan at Epcot, that shop used to be filled with all sorts of sovereigns and now it’s filled with snacks. As k5sx said Disney is definitely exploiting the Covid after shocks. The demand will be there probably for a while too unfortunately. It just sucks that was my happy place ☹️

We usually go 2-3 times a year, and haven't been since all these changes. I am not looking forward to going back, and it saddens me.

I agree that I didn’t see any magic on our fall 2021 trip. I knew things would be different, but wow. We are a family who buys annual passes and makes 2-3 trips there over the course of the life of the pass. That being said, after these next few trips- if magic is still lost then we’re “breaking up” with Disney.

We were there before Genie plus started, well actually the last day of our trip it went live. I remember seeing over 100 minute wait times for Jungle Cruise and even Pirates- many rides had phenomenal wait times and lines. I was shocked. I had never seen MK so chaotic and packed pretty much for every ride. It was miserable and the only time we’d rather just go back to the hotel after enduring that ridiculousness for a few hours. It was sad because previously my family had always loved Disney. It was more than a theme park with all the special touches and shows. Early & late magic hours ensured we stayed on property and in the bubble. The stuff that made Disney special is few & far between now, and there’s not really much that sets it apart from any other theme park.

Trash was an issue we noticed, too. It was everywhere and overflowing even in some places. Many guests didn’t seem to care either and would just throw their stuff on the overflow which inevitably fell to the ground. If Disney sees this in a particular area- I’m referring to the ROTR line que- then why don’t they add another receptacle close by or empty it more often? Both would be easy solutions.

Guests also seemed different. Never had I seen more grown adults, sometimes a group of 2-3, make their way through a line que to “meet up with their family”. CMs did nothing to stop this, and it was incredibly frustrating. It happened in multiple rides every single day. I’m sorry but if you’re a grown up and need a potty break then the whole family should wait before entering the que or you can ride solo. I do understand small children and emergencies. Sometimes, the person would be carrying gift bags or Starbucks or something of that nature while they rudely got through the que filled with more patient 8 & 9 yr olds (my kids =p).

All of that to say that it makes me sad to see that it has come to this, and it doesn’t seem as if the people in charge are even aware or care to make it any better.

As our youngest has gotten older I have thought about getting annual passes and taking small trips throughout the year when possible unfortunately this trip changed that possibility. The crowds were unbearable. You were shoulder to shoulder with people that’s how crowded it was. Wait times were at least 60 +. And early entry is a joke. It was masses of people arriving there to get through early. Unfortunately I am planning another trip next summer because one our daughters didn’t get to go this time I hope it calms down by then at least a tad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter