Don't you feel iffy when people put letters after their name?

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
OK, so for SOME people, I can see the point - Doctorates, PhDs even, but a BA, Dip or even Cert? I don't feel that it's necessary. Of course, if you're proud of your academic accomplishments, all power to you!

It can be more important inside someone's profession than outside it. Friend from high school is a Federal Judge. Still just John to most of us outside the legal world, not Judge John.
There was a lot of discussion whether Jill Biden should be referred to as Dr. Jill Biden because she has a PhD. Unfortunately for some that discussion got political. But the Associated Press Stylebook and the major Grammar stylebooks going back 70+ years agree, PhD is a degree only mentioned when speaking of someone one in their role in education. So in her role as a College Professor, she is Dr. Jill Biden, when speaking of her outside the education world, she is Jill Biden, or Ms. Biden.

Can also be cultural. When working for a European airline, out loyalty program had 2 options: Mr and Mrs.

Once in a while we got complaints from Germany. There they are really proud of their dr. titles, and angry when we told them they couldn't use it as a title to get addressed by.

I use my bachelor and master title only when applying for jobs and on LinkedIn. That is when it can matter, but in day to day life, no.

There was a lot of discussion whether Jill Biden should be referred to as Dr. Jill Biden because she has a PhD. Unfortunately for some that discussion got political. But the Associated Press Stylebook and the major Grammar stylebooks going back 70+ years agree, PhD is a degree only mentioned when speaking of someone one in their role in education. So in her role as a College Professor, she is Dr. Jill Biden, when speaking of her outside the education world, she is Jill Biden, or Ms. Biden.
She has an Ed.D., not a Ph.D. To many with Ph.D.s, it's an important distinction. (I don't have a Ph.D., but I know plenty of people who do.)

In engineering we used to mock the younger engineers who put EIT (Engineer in Training) after their names. We were like dude why advertise you don't know anything yet. Wait a few years until you take and pass the PE (Professional Engineer) test.

I think it's fine in professional settings, academia, etc. but a bit pretentious in casual settings or when it's completely unrelated.

I also work in academia (in administration), so I see it a lot. Sometimes, it makes sense. Other times, I tend to roll my eyes, but it's everyone's individual perogative.

I work with physicians, so any degree helps. I use my MA, CAE (certified association executive) somewhat to help level it out. I'm working on my PhD now. When I finish it (gah--2027 I think), I will absolutely use the PhD, but not the MA.

In engineering we used to mock the younger engineers who put EIT (Engineer in Training) after their names. We were like dude why advertise you don't know anything yet. Wait a few years until you take and pass the PE (Professional Engineer) test.
Agreed, especially since the University I went to, pretty much everyone who was going to pass the EIT had done so in their Jr. year. I do appreciate the enthusiasm they have for the profession though.

It was highly amusing when we first discovered some female American lawyers used the term Esq or Esquire after their name.
At lunch with an ex colleague from Chicago she handed over one of her new business cards with Esq on it. Amazing!

ford family

Exactly. If you are picking up your car after repairs and the mechanic calls you Ms. or Mr. instead of Dr., do you really need to correct them? Will your day be ruined?
Yeah, not a fan of those that insist to be called Doctor in a non work situation - especially when its a Phd etc...

I've worked with lots of folks with Phds and the ones who were the best - I did not even know they had a Phd.
I recall working with a guy who was one of the smartest folks I ever worked with.

I was out having a beer with him one night and just chatting about where we went to school etc.. and I come to find out he had a Phd in Physics from MIT - had no idea.
He was smart and did not need to prove it by being called Doctor.

It was highly amusing when we first discovered some female American lawyers used the term Esq or Esquire after their name.
At lunch with an ex colleague from Chicago she handed over one of her new business cards with Esq on it. Amazing!

ford family
In a profession like law, I would expect their business cards to have their professional designation (e.g. Esq) on it. Now, if they introduced themselves in a non professional setting as “John Smith, Esquire”, I’d be rolling my eyes.

Passing the exam doesn't mean you know anything important either. Adding to that, becoming licensed (separate from passing the exam) is the step that makes you responsible for what you say and do.

I only add PE behind my name when I'm acting in an engineering capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter