Doomed Already?

katyj26

Disney Addict
Is our next trip doomed already?
I started getting the Disney itch again recently and was planning a trip in Sept/Oct however there were no cheap nonstop flights in that time period. So my mom and godmother jumped on board and said let's go in Nov/Dec when there are nonstop flights. After checking my work schedule and the crowd calendars we decided on Dec 3-10. And southwest just put flights on sale so we jumped on them yesterday. Now I am reading that some of our stay will be Pop Warner week. At first we were planning on Caribbean Beach Resort then after much discussion of pros and cons we decided to go for Boardwalk with a discount (somebody prefers deluxe lol) and now I'm reading that Pop Warner typically prevents discounts. So we are going to book Boardwalk and hope for a discount but have POR as a backup if a discount doesn't come up.

Is there any hope for discounts???
We are going to upgrade our tickets this stay to annual passes. Can we get a discount that way??

Thanks for any help and for reading my rambling story. :)

There may very well be some sort of room discount. The Pop Warners won't be staying at Boardwalk. You wont get free dining at that time, maybe that's what was meant.

We are looking for a room only discount and worried cuz of the blackout in free dining. Thought it may be a sign for room only.

You'll be fine pop Warner. Most likely take up the values, possibly a mod. Yes you can upgrade your tickets to an AP and see if there is AP discount... usually there is I'm thinking.

You may get lucky too, I know somewhere around the time you're going is when they actually do the taping for the Xmas parade at MK...

My mom and I went 12/6 - 12/11 last year and I was able to get an AP discount at Poly. I really wanted WL or BWI, but they were not available with an AP discount by the time I got around to booking.

And I can just call to get the AP discount before I actually have my AP right? Then just have to show once I get it?

We have stayed during Pop Warner week and it was not a problem at all. Maybe if we were staying at the same resort it might be kinda crazy, but what the heck? It's Pop Warner football, not a convicted killers conference!

My 8 year old grandson has been playing football for a few years, and my DH helps coach and I have been the "team mom" well, "team grandma", anyway. Practice saying this: "HEY! Settle down, or I will have Coach send you around the park for a few laps! How would everyone like to do push ups? Hmmm?" ;)

If that doesn't work there is my fall back: no brownies until everyone gets themselves under control. :dance3:

But seriously, I hate that you think a vacation could "already be doomed". My goodness! It's Disney! It's awesome! The park will be decorated for Christmas, the weather will be cooler, it will be great! You scored cheaper flights, so SMILE! It's going to be so much fun! pixiedust:

Breathe. Smile. Think positively.

Okay. *Lecture over*. :flower3:

Is our next trip doomed already?
I started getting the Disney itch again recently and was planning a trip in Sept/Oct however there were no cheap nonstop flights in that time period. So my mom and godmother jumped on board and said let's go in Nov/Dec when there are nonstop flights. After checking my work schedule and the crowd calendars we decided on Dec 3-10. And southwest just put flights on sale so we jumped on them yesterday. Now I am reading that some of our stay will be Pop Warner week. At first we were planning on Caribbean Beach Resort then after much discussion of pros and cons we decided to go for Boardwalk with a discount (somebody prefers deluxe lol) and now I'm reading that Pop Warner typically prevents discounts. So we are going to book Boardwalk and hope for a discount but have POR as a backup if a discount doesn't come up.

Is there any hope for discounts???
We are going to upgrade our tickets this stay to annual passes. Can we get a discount that way??

Thanks for any help and for reading my rambling story. :)

To be honest with you, I think that there is little chance of there being a room discount Dec 3 - 10, but of course I could be wrong. We stayed at the WL on a room discount Nov 30 - Dec 5th of 2013, which was part of a bounce back offer. This year's bounce back doesn't include that week in Dec. And Pop Warner week is historically blacked out.

AP discounts usually come out closer to the travel dates. For example, the current AP discount is only good for dates through August 2nd.

And another thing to consider - having an existing reservation doesn't guarantee that a later discount can be applied. Many people who already have a resort reservation have had to make a change in order to get a discounted room.

So, it is always best to book what you can afford, and if a discount comes along, then that is great. :)

I have visited during that time for years and always had some sort of discount. Sometimes it was nothing more than the AAA discount, sometimes a GP, AP, or Fla res discount. It has never been a bounce back though. I think they wait until closer to see what the occupancy looks like before discounting that time. I agree that you should never book anything you can't afford without a discount. For one thing, you are affecting the occupancy of the very hotel you hope will be discounted, and if enough people do that, the resort could end up excluded from the promotion. Second, it's a lot more exciting to upgrade your resort because a deal came out than to have to downgrade because a discount didn't work out.

I wouldn't worry about Pop Warner. We stayed at CSR last year during the week they were there & a kids chess tournament. We'd see the cheerleaders & chess kids around but it didn't affect our trip. And there were tons of cheerleaders at our pool. Enjoy yourselves & no worries!

And I can just call to get the AP discount before I actually have my AP right? Then just have to show once I get it?

You need to have that before you can apply it for a discount.

You need to have the AP if you want to make an AP reservation online. It only allows passholders access to the website discounts.

If you are calling, you can get an AP rate without having purchased AP yet. You just need to be able to show it to the resort at check-in OR shortly thereafter.

In my case, I did a last minute trip with my mom in December. I knew I was going back in March and then again in the summer. So, it was a no-brainer to get an AP. Mom and I checked in on 12/6 and the Poly CM noted my AP discount. I explained that I had to upgrade and would be heading to MK to take care of that straight away. The CM said no problem, just come back later so they could make a note of it. I upgraded my 7 day PH to an AP at MK that afternoon and then returned to the Poly front desk where the CM looked at it and I don't know if they really noted it or not.

We have stayed during Pop Warner week and it was not a problem at all. Maybe if we were staying at the same resort it might be kinda crazy, but what the heck? It's Pop Warner football, not a convicted killers conference!

But seriously, I hate that you think a vacation could "already be doomed". My goodness! It's Disney! It's awesome! The park will be decorated for Christmas, the weather will be cooler, it will be great! You scored cheaper flights, so SMILE! It's going to be so much fun! pixiedust:

Breathe. Smile. Think positively.

Okay. *Lecture over*. :flower3:

VERY well said!

BTW, I'm 40 something and Childless by Choice. I've been at the SAME resort as PW at least 6x w/ ZERO problems. I find the kids polite, respectful and they even enjoy pleasant conversation.

AP discounts do not come out until much closer to your travels dates and you cannot count on a discount for every resort, so if your heart is set on a particular resort, you need to book it and then see IF a discount can be applied.

Practice saying this: "HEY! Settle down, or I will have Coach send you around the park for a few laps! How would everyone like to do push ups? Hmmm?"

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

My husband coaches 10 year old basketball. Around here it is.. "Who wants to to do wind sprints?":rotfl2:

I have visited during that time for years and always had some sort of discount. Sometimes it was nothing more than the AAA discount, sometimes a GP, AP, or Fla res discount. It has never been a bounce back though. I think they wait until closer to see what the occupancy looks like before discounting that time. I agree that you should never book anything you can't afford without a discount. For one thing, you are affecting the occupancy of the very hotel you hope will be discounted, and if enough people do that, the resort could end up excluded from the promotion. Second, it's a lot more exciting to upgrade your resort because a deal came out than to have to downgrade because a discount didn't work out.

This is so true! If I were you I would book the POR room(s) and have the BWI as a back up if the discounts become available. That actually INCREASES your chances of getting a BWI discount slightly and ensures that you have the resort that you can afford if no discounts appear for your dates.

Don't worry about Pop Warner! Just enjoy!

Good luck getting the discount!

I just want to clarify that I don't think Pop Warner kids are bad or anything I just hope that it doesn't take discounts away.

I just want to clarify that I don't think Pop Warner kids are bad or anything I just hope that it doesn't take discounts away.
I'm sorry. I didn't take what you said that way at all. I was just laughing at the others posters coaching suggestion because I had never looked at it that way.:)

We are staying that week too (12/6 - 13) and I'm curious about Pop Warner week. We actually switched from AOA to a 2 bdrm villa at Saratoga with friends so that it will be a little more relaxing and of course has more room (we will have an infant). I hope we still get a discount too!

Don't forget to check sites like Orbitz too. Usually I can find some room I want and get at least a 15% discount with their coupon codes. It's worth a shot to check periodically between now and your trip. Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about Pop Warner. We stayed at CSR last year during the week they were there & a kids chess tournament. We'd see the cheerleaders & chess kids around but it didn't affect our trip. And there were tons of cheerleaders at our pool. Enjoy yourselves & no worries!

I've seen posts here complaining about poor behavior from Pop Warner kids and chaperones(!) and other groups.But, when we were there in April, there were a ton of dance and cheerleading groups. I admit, I cringed at first when I saw that.:faint: But, the kids were very well behaved..only broke into a cheer once, and it was a short one, thank goodness,lol.

The OP should be fine anyway, staying at a Deluxe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter