Door Decorations Getting Out of Control?

I don't care what people do to their door (or really even the wall nearby) as long as it doesn't stick out. When stuff is pushing out into the hallway, or streaming down from the ceiling, I think it's overkill.

I try to do something tasteful on our door, without using too many magnets, but what makes one family happy can be too plain or overkill to others. I don't want to control what others can do. I just appreciate it when it's not taking up extra space in an already narrow passageway.

I have seen and taken pics of very creative doors. I haven't seen anything on walls yet. I usually defend people who have FEs and door decorations. But I'm not sure about walls.
I've had a few cruises with some rolling motion where i balanced using the walls. With wall decorations I'd probably knock something off and then feel I had to pick it up and in so doing just become more off balance and end up on the floor. With my hip and knee it could become a bit of struggle or comedy scene. I imagine if wall decor catches on big Disney will restrict it in some way. Didn't they restrict FE a few years back?

Yeah I saw the wall thing on my last cruise. But I guess I just don’t care that much. Either way, door or wall, you can still walk right past it if it isn’t your thing. And for those for whom it is their thing, it makes them happy. So why should they have to stop?

Eventually DCL will have to crack down as a few other cruise lines have done because of people going to the extreme with the door decorations. Carnival only allows non flammable decorations and I believe Norwegian prohibits them all together.

My son and I took to checking out a different hallway every day on our last cruise. The best doors to stop and look at were the ones with a reasonable amount of decorations. We didn't even bother to stop at ones where the doors were completely covered...or went onto the walls. So I feel like they're defeating the purpose of getting attention, if that's what they're going for.

I do a Joke of the Day on my dry erase board (which was really hard on the TA, that's a lot of jokes!)

The only door decor that is irritating to me are the ones that you run into going down the hallway. I swear this one room had a shoe rack hanging from their hook thingy.

My son and I took to checking out a different hallway every day on our last cruise. The best doors to stop and look at were the ones with a reasonable amount of decorations. We didn't even bother to stop at ones where the doors were completely covered...or went onto the walls. So I feel like they're defeating the purpose of getting attention, if that's what they're going for.

I do a Joke of the Day on my dry erase board (which was really hard on the TA, that's a lot of jokes!)
Why would the purpose be to get attention? Do you think they are peering out the peephole to see if people are checking out their decorations?

Why would the purpose be to get attention? Do you think they are peering out the peephole to see if people are checking out their decorations?
I don’t know if this is a common thing, but I have seen this in a few of our cruise groups where a few people will hand out “door prizes” to doors they think are best decorated. (Normally some type of magnet)

I totally think the intention is sweet, but I see how it could easily get out of hand.

My worry would be that instead of DCL asking people to keep the magnets on doors and not walls, that they would just discontinue allowing them at all. Same thing happened with character autographs at guest services when people got creative and brought lamps to be signed instead of pillow cases or photo mats.

I’m a door only kind of decorator.. though I don’t mind the walls next to the elevators decorated as it’s much easier to turn the right way..,

Same thing happened with character autographs at guest services when people got creative and brought lamps to be signed instead of pillow cases or photo mats.
Actually the character autographs were stopped due to the numbers of things people were dropping off to be autographed. Most of the characters were signing things during their off-stage time and it basically meant that they never got time off from working.

Just back from the 8-night Bermuda cruise. I love door decorations and the work people put into it. but this cruise was overkill. There were a few doors near the midship stairs (so everyone saw them) that were 3D, and filled with blinking lights. I love to see the decorated doors so try to take in a different route every time I walk to see them. But on one deck, it extended way beyond the doors, like almost to the next stateroom doors. I'm team decorate your door, but leave the rest of the corridor alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter