Dopey 2015 Official Thread

roomthreeseventeen

Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
OK, so now that we have an official confirmation and a price point, who else is in? 4/16 registration for DVC/AP, 4/22 for general public.

I'm in. That's assuming my credit card doesn't explode trying to register. :rotfl2:

This is really up to my wife. I am definitely in for the half and full. My wife is considering the 10k in addition to the half this year (she is not interested in the full). If she decides to do the 10k I will do it with her, so I might as well add the 5k and do the Dopey.

I am hoping that she decides not to do the 10k, but I won't tell her that (want to be supportive). Waking up all of those mornings at 2:30 is a killer. I love running, but I need my sleep when I am running.

already have my OKW reservation too. (which, by the way, is excellent for race weekend as far as quick bus ride to/from epcot parking lot). my husband has decided he wants to go for the half. he's been on the treadmill twice already (lol).

for those of you who have DVC, the link for the TOT pre-registration didn't work at noon like it was supposed to. i had to call rundisney to get the link after they verified my DVC membership. be prepared for that :)

I'll do it some other year, but not multiple years in a row. It wasn't worth it for me to get up so early for a 5k and 10k. After the races, I couldn't fall back asleep and it wasn't fair to my wife, MIL, and niece to have to take it easy in the parks on all those days. My wife will run the half this year (last year she did a run/walk) and I'll do Goofy since I want to run the half with her and the full marathon on Sunday.

I'll do it some other year, but not multiple years in a row. It wasn't worth it for me to get up so early for a 5k and 10k. After the races, I couldn't fall back asleep and it wasn't fair to my wife, MIL, and niece to have to take it easy in the parks on all those days. My wife will run the half this year (last year she did a run/walk) and I'll do Goofy since I want to run the half with her and the full marathon on Sunday.

I didn't do dopey but even the glass slipper challenge was too many early wake ups and vacation time for me at this point in my life. I can't justify the cost for our family vacation with so many days spent on races or expo or resting. Maybe later if I can do a running only trip. I didn't mind the 10k-half combo physically, and I felt like I got to see more of the parks that way (all of Epcot, all of MK). Since ill never be a marathoner (well, never say never I know) I am glad I've now run through all of the parks combining GSC and w&d! But 2:30 is waaaaaaaay too early for me all I wanted to do was enjoy WDW the way I like to on vacation and I missed my family time.

i hear you. i have two boys who will be 5 and 3 next january. it was tough last january on my husband who basically had to take care of the boys for 4 days. we'll have to come up with a better plan this year. perhaps take advantage of the kids nite out service a little more. i mean, we're already spending a fortune that weekend, what's another couple hundred? (ugh)

Me!! Most likely the only time I'll do it, but I'm excited. :) We rented points at BWV after nothing came through for VGF and BLT.

I did the 5K + Goofy in 2013 and while I was expecting the wake-ups to be tough, I wasn't prepared for how disappointed I ended up being with our limited park time during that trip. So at least I SOMEWHAT know what to expect this year.

Me!! Most likely the only time I'll do it, but I'm excited. :) We rented points at BWV after nothing came through for VGF and BLT.

I did the 5K + Goofy in 2013 and while I was expecting the wake-ups to be tough, I wasn't prepared for how disappointed I ended up being with our limited park time during that trip. So at least I SOMEWHAT know what to expect this year.

I didn't limit my park time at all Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and didn't have any problems. Saturday, after breakfast I went back to the resort for most of the day before heading back to EPCOT for dinner.

That was my feeling as well. While I hit the parks, I was a drag on my DB family and my DW. I think I might have been a little more peppy if the wx was a little closer to seasonal as well. The thought that kept fettling in my brain was to stay hydrated.

I am just not sure what I will do until the registration comes up next month

I didn't limit my park time at all Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and didn't have any problems. Saturday, after breakfast I went back to the resort for most of the day before heading back to EPCOT for dinner.
Yeah, Saturday and Sunday were the days I was thinking of for the reduced park time.

Yeah, Saturday and Sunday were the days I was thinking of for the reduced park time.

Oh yeah, I never went to a park on Sunday after running through all four of them. I went to Downtown Disney, took a nap, and met friends for dinner/drinks.

I just ran the Dopey this year and loved every minute of it, but it's tough to run 4 races and make a vacation out of it. We don't get to WDW that often so tried to pack it all in one trip. To hit parks most of the day on Thursday, Friday, Saturday was tough. Sunday, was shower and head to Downtown Disney for food and rehydration -of the alcoholic variety and call it a night.

Then hitting the parks on Monday was tough on the legs! My advice, sleep in a lil later. The whole catch the bus by 4AM is not needed. We would not catch until 430 or 435 and had plenty of time, especially with staggered starts.

All this talk and I want to go back. But heading back in October for Tower Or Terror!! pixiedust:pixiedust:

I am in. Had to defer from last year's Dopey due to an injury. Did the GSC last month so have a little preview of the early wake up calls, although only 3 for GSC. We are at BLT so definitely taking advantage of the monorail and ability to get a little later start.

in a way i'm kind of "lucky" because my kids wake up at 5am pretty much every day :scared1: but they also go to bed by 7 or 8 so i was ok for the wake ups. plus the wake up for the 5k is a little later. i didn't get up til 4 that morning which is close enough to 5am ;)

after the 5k we went out and did the parks pretty hard. it was our first full day there and too much excitement to rest. after the 10k we had a nice breakfast (and delish bloody mary) and hit the pool since it was very warm. we had a sitter that afternoon because DH and i both needed to work. so no parks that day. after the half on saturday we did some park time and i left the family with some friends around 4pm and went to stay at one of the all star resorts for the night. i think i was asleep by 7! the wake-ups weren't too bad. my advice if you're not a good sleeper like me is not to nap at all during the days after the races. it allowed me to fall asleep each evening fairly quickly. :thumbsup2

i ran with a friend (betsy woot!) for three of the four races. it won't be as fun not running with her. don't tell my DH that since he is going for his first half ;)

I'm in. I had a BLAST and am a little nervous that if 2015 isn't as good as 2014 I'm going to be disappointed.

The main thing I'm changing this year is that I'm going to fly down Tuesday night (instead of Wednesday morning) so that I can do the expo first thing and then spend most of Wednesday-Friday working. I'm lucky that I'm allowed the time off because it's a VERY busy time for us (everyone wants their 1099s right?!?!), so I guess working saved my legs.

I'm in. This past Dopey was my first visit to WDW and only my second full marathon. I traveled solo and didn't mind the limited park time or early wake-up calls. For me the true value of the Dopey challenge is keeping me motivated to run throughout the year. At this point a single event just doesn't seem as special and I want the "epicness" of the Dopey to look forward to.

You all bring up a good point. Before the race is probably not a good time to go see the parks and there's the soreness after... so better just to make it a race? I'm single with no kids. Go back and do the parks another time? I have to pay for 4 days of hotel anyway (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat) so the only thing extra would really be the airfare which is about $500. I'm guessing the hotel is at least $100 a day so we're looking at $1430 for the race? Yikes when you put it that way .....

Does anyone have the date?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter