Dopey Worth It?

I just did my first Dopey and like someone else posted, I am hooked! I had done the 2020 half marathon and thought it was pretty fun. When registration opened last summer for MW, my intention was to sign up for the half again. But by the time I got around to getting online to register, it was sold out. But the Dopey was still open. So I said, why not. I am so glad I took that leap. What a blast of a weekend I had. I thought having to get up at 2am would take a toll on me, but it really was a burst of adrenaline each morning. Walking through security and then down to the staging areas, kind of gave me the same feelings from walking out of the tunnel during football games. When I signed up, I originally said one and done. Heck, about mile 17 on Sunday I was even thinking "why did I sign up for this?". But after finishing, sitting around watching other people finish, the smiles, the photos, just everything that is related to the weekend, I am in for 2023. Next year I think I will plan our park visits differently, but will still mix in as many visits to the park as possible. Also, I think staying on property will be the thing to do. This year I did a split stay. I was at Holiday Inn DS for the 5k and 10k. I felt like I was the only one in that hotel that was up that early for runs. I don't think I ever saw another rD person in the hotel. Back at PO Riverside, I saw lots of runners. Lot's of congratulations being given as they would walk by. Pretty cool weekend it was.

2022 was my first Dopey and I’m already ready to sign up for 2023. I have a hard time turning off my competitive streak and tend to want to PR every race (not that I succeed). Running Dopey, at least for the first time, ended up being more of an experience for me, because it was more about surviving all 4 races than making any specific time goals. I took my time to enjoy my surroundings and take it all in, and ended up just having a lot of fun. So for me at least, doing Dopey instead of just an individual race actually takes some of the pressure off and I’m able to relax and enjoy more. I ran the 5 and 10 with family and the half and full solo, and honestly just had a blast in all 4 races.

If I could say the one thing that may make the Dopey experience even better, that would be to do the meet ups with the Disboard fam. I regret not doing that this year. I was really focused on the runs, the parks, and had my family with me. But for 2023, I definitely am going to try to make the meet up. I actually walked by the Yacht Club that Friday when everyone was meeting at Hurricane Hanna's. But I was so caught up with walking over to Epcot and just being one of those walking zombies around WDW, I didn't put two and two together when I saw a group of people at HH. When I got back to the room that night and was catching up on the board, I was like "doh!". So next year it is my goal to meet some Disboard people and hopefully to see them out on the courses during the week.

Sorry, but I have never felt that Dopey would be worth it. I have run in six marathons at Disney. I enjoy having it be a centerpiece of my vacation. If you are going to do the Dopey
you will be tied up with race related "things" for at least 5 days. First the expo on Wednesday and then 4 days of races. Each race starts at 5:00am. Unless you are walking them, you
are going to also want to go to bed early the four days before the races. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, it is not worth taking that much out of my vacation. (I actually
even ran the 5K with my girlfriend on Thursday and then ran the marathon on my own on Sunday)

Sorry, but I have never felt that Dopey would be worth it. I have run in six marathons at Disney. I enjoy having it be a centerpiece of my vacation. If you are going to do the Dopey
you will be tied up with race related "things" for at least 5 days. First the expo on Wednesday and then 4 days of races. Each race starts at 5:00am. Unless you are walking them, you
are going to also want to go to bed early the four days before the races. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, it is not worth taking that much out of my vacation. (I actually
even ran the 5K with my girlfriend on Thursday and then ran the marathon on my own on Sunday)

I could see this if you go to the MW and are planning a vacation around it. For me, it was MW first and being able to go to the parks was just icing on the cake. I wouldn't have minded if we didn't go to the parks at all. I would have been fine to just hang around Disney Springs, go stroll through different resorts, mini golf, taking in all things WDW that are not associated with the parks.

I think going to the Expo is part of the excitement. The energy around the expo is awesome. Love seeing all the people hanging out, grabbing a beer, taking pictures, grabbing swag, etc.

I could see this if you go to the MW and are planning a vacation around it. For me, it was MW first and being able to go to the parks was just icing on the cake. I wouldn't have minded if we didn't go to the parks at all.

Absolutely. If MW is also prime Disney vacation time for you, Dopey is NOT a good option.

I think it was already mentioned, but the thing that will keep me from doing it again is the amount of time training took. It seems like I lost every weekend from October on.

You really have to find a plan that works for your life and stick to it. Thankfully my @DopeyBadger plan allowed me to spread my mileage out through the week so it worked fine around my daily schedule and I was able to keep it up when traveling. It's a lot of time regardless. But I will say that my Dopey training plan wasn't a lot more intensive than my full marathon training plan two years ago, so if you are going to train for the full, it may not be THAT much more to train for Dopey.

Once you have done the Marathon, are the other races simply shorter versions of the same thing? For those that have completed one, have you found it rewarding enough to make up for the aforementioned negatives?
I did my first marathon as part of Dopey. Before registering for my first Dopey, I had completed 9 half marathons all at Disneyland or Disney World and the Star Wars race weekend challenges (10K and Half on back to back days) in 4 consecutive years. Aside from the marathon aspect of things, I already had a solid foundation on races at Disney including the theme park side of it after the races.
I reasoned that if I could complete the marathon I could also complete Dopey and since the marathon could have been a one and done for me, I opted to go for everything. Again I concluded that if I finished the marathon alone and hated it, I would kick myself for not having run Dopey and then have to do a second marathon just to finish Dopey. Honestly, I'm not sure about the rationality of that approach, but it was my reasoning. It turned out that in a weird way I enjoyed the marathon and have since run 2 more Dopey Challenges.

I discovered in running races that I usually spend the first two miles or so of any given race wondering what I had gotten myself into. When I ran my first challenge race, I learned that I worked through all those negative thoughts in the first race, which allowed me to be in a good place mentally heading into the longer race(s). This pattern held true with Dopey. On the day of the half and especially the full, I'm confident in my training and focused on the task at hand. Pre race jitters are pretty minimal which helps me run my best race which at Disney includes a lot of time enjoying characters and such.

Now as others have said, Dopey absolutely alters your park time. Except for 2021, I have been to Disney World every year since 2017 and spent at least one week there each time. So I can feel okay about reduced park time because of Dopey. Until this year I went to bed very early before each Dopey race. This meant leaving the parks no later than 6:30 or 7:00pm the evening before a race. This year, I enjoyed Rise of the Resistance 3 times the night before the 5K and went to bed at 11:00pm. That absolutely had an effect on the rest of my race weekend because I was in a large rest deficit even before the challenges that the half and full pose. Now, I still had a great time and have no regrets. But the sleep deficit from not going to bed early even one night before a Dopey race impacted the rest of my trip.

This year is the first year that I began to understand why more experienced Dopey runners sometimes say that the hardest part of Dopey may actually be the 4 consecutive early mornings. When you've run the marathon, you already know what that takes. In my specific case, I'm already running 5 days a week so the 4 consecutive days of running really isn't that big a deal for me.

For me perhaps the most enjoyable part of Dopey is the varied course experiences. The 5K goes around World Showcase which is probably my favorite part of Epcot. Seeing the torches lit before sunrise and sometimes being in World Showcase during sunrise is a great experience. Likewise running the 5K helps me truly savor the moment because when I see World Showcase during the full, I'm very much ready to cross that finish line.

As a back of pack runner, I do not get to see Cinderella Castle when it's still dark out, but I do get to see it at sunrise or shortly thereafter. This year was especially pretty with the first light of the morning reflecting off the colors of the castle for the 50th anniversary.

Opinions on what constitutes worth it will vary. So as much as seeking the varied experiences here is a good start, you also need to evaluate your reasons for Dopey and just how much you can live with impacted park times. I got to Epcot around 4:00pm the day of the marathon for a 4:45 dinner which was also my first real meal of the day. I hopped to the Magic Kingdom for the fireworks and to see Mickey. That's a different kind of park day. As a frequent visitor to Disney World, I can live with that once in while, but a rare visitor may feel very differently.

I think it was already mentioned, but the thing that will keep me from doing it again is the amount of time training took. It seems like I lost every weekend from October on.
In that case, the HARM plan may be just the thing for you. Look for a new thread with details in the next day or two.

Laughing at myself this morning since I priced out W&D weekend yesterday (thinking it would be a less expensive alternative to MW '23) and then realized I had a significant schedule conflict making that weekend a non-option. And my "plan" is to run dopey when I turn 40 (in 2024) so now I'm sitting here trying to convince myself that it's OK to go to MW next year and NOT do dopey and that it won't feel super lame to do the 5/10/half instead. :scared: :rotfl2: :sad2:

Laughing at myself this morning since I priced out W&D weekend yesterday (thinking it would be a less expensive alternative to MW '23) and then realized I had a significant schedule conflict making that weekend a non-option. And my "plan" is to run dopey when I turn 40 (in 2024) so now I'm sitting here trying to convince myself that it's OK to go to MW next year and NOT do dopey and that it won't feel super lame to do the 5/10/half instead. :scared: :rotfl2: :sad2:

39 in 2023 is close to 40 in 2024, plus it gets anniversary medals, just sayin'...

39 in 2023 is close to 40 in 2024, plus it gets anniversary medals, just sayin'...
I know. It's just......kids. And DH going/not going because of work (and kids.) And how much it costs. Because the difference between offsite and renting car basically makes it the same price to stay on-site and use mears/disney bussing. And it's just a lot of everything (time, money, training, etc.)

I even looked at DVC resale contracts this morning. That's how delusional I'm being about stuff. :rotfl2:

Of COURSE it's okay to go to MW and not do Dopey @Herding_Cats! My first MW (2020) I did the 10K and full. It was a week after my 49th birthday and I wanted to do a full before my 50th. (I was planning on Dopey the next year -- just after turning 50-- but had to push it to this year for obvious reasons.) That first MW was honestly great. I am someone who likes to do ALL the things, so I definitely had twinges of FOMO but I knew I wasn't mentally ready to tackle it yet. Just being there and celebrating all those who were doing it was still fun.

Of COURSE it's okay to go to MW and not do Dopey @Herding_Cats! My first MW (2020) I did the 10K and full. It was a week after my 49th birthday and I wanted to do a full before my 50th. (I was planning on Dopey the next year -- just after turning 50-- but had to push it to this year for obvious reasons.) That first MW was honestly great. I am someone who likes to do ALL the things, so I definitely had twinges of FOMO but I knew I wasn't mentally ready to tackle it yet. Just being there and celebrating all those who were doing it was still fun.
I know that *reasonably* it's OK to not do it, but I also know how I would feel if I went and did all of the races *except* the full.

I'm on the downswing (finally) of my MW high and my manic planning is starting to taper off. I always get elbow deep in planning the next trip as soon as we finish one, no matter if it's a weekend camping trip or a week at WDW. I'm probably going to circle back to look at registration costs, make food cost estimates, etc. and see how far I would be from a solo trip and how much money I'll need to hoard if I want to go back next year. :rolleyes1

I told the fam that none of the Disney Visa rewards are to be used this year. They are all for MW 2023, LOL. So hoping by the time January rolls around we have a nice stockpile of points. My wife is planning on doing Dopey as well. My son wants to try the half marathon. My daughter said she may try the 5k or 10k.

I did just one Dopey and absolutely felt like it was worth it. It was a unique experience and frankly all the things that might be seen as a negative (early wake-ups, 4 days of running, etc) are part of what makes it special. Look for some trip reports from people who have done it to get an even better idea of what the weekend is like. I have one out there somewhere but there are lots of others as well. After I ran Dopey I felt I was a one and done though. I have health issues that forced me to stop running, but even now if I could still run, I'm not sure I'd do it again. Mostly because I had such an amazing experience the first time, I worry doing it again would be a let down. My husband and I did subsequently did a weekend with the 10k and the full and that was a fantastic combo of races. If you decide not to do Dopey, I'd highly recommend this combination of races.

Last edited:
I drove home earlier this month thinking that I've done a Dopey, so I can check it off the list and probably won't do it again.
And then.... people started posting the videos.
I hated all of the waiting around in the corrals, yet even that didn't look so bad while watching the videos.
And then all of the energy and fun of the runs themselves.
It may not be next year, but there will probably be another one.

I drove home earlier this month thinking that I've done a Dopey, so I can check it off the list and probably won't do it again.
And then.... people started posting the videos.
I hated all of the waiting around in the corrals, yet even that didn't look so bad while watching the videos.
And then all of the energy and fun of the runs themselves.
It may not be next year, but there will probably be another one.

The giant sucking sound of Disney drawing you back in.......it's persistent and costly! (I speak from looong experience)

I told the fam that none of the Disney Visa rewards are to be used this year. They are all for MW 2023, LOL. So hoping by the time January rolls around we have a nice stockpile of points. My wife is planning on doing Dopey as well. My son wants to try the half marathon. My daughter said she may try the 5k or 10k.

Use the Visa to book your trip and set things up. I ran the Marathon this January. I brought a $250.00 gift card from my Disney rewards on the trip. I think I even used it for the race fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter