Double shows strike again - Wonder in Alaska

Very astute! I got a reply from a different person today asking for patience as they research the correct response to my concerns.
Nice you went up 2 levels. Definitely going to legal with rough draft after they check wording on webpages looking for promised entertainment. Next one will referance website regarding entertainment. Policy maybe rewritten day before on website, then you’ll get letter.

Has anyone sailed on the second or third Alaskan cruises of the season? Do we know if the double shows have continued?

Also, for anyone on the first sailing, was there any explanation for the frozen deck party being moved to the third night instead of fourth? I believe the original sailing schedule had it on the fourth night, as is typical. And I would assume some people booked their activities like boutique accordingly. Were people upset?

Has anyone sailed on the second or third Alaskan cruises of the season? Do we know if the double shows have continued?

Also, for anyone on the first sailing, was there any explanation for the frozen deck party being moved to the third night instead of fourth? I believe the original sailing schedule had it on the fourth night, as is typical. And I would assume some people booked their activities like boutique accordingly. Were people upset?
Yes they started it the first cruise. Both frozen and the Dream are repeated back to back on nights during the cruise.

I don’t know what’s the uproar of repeating showsis all bout. You have to remember Karl Holtz is retiring and maybe Disney is doing this for cost savings.. maybe they are looking at why pay some artist so much money to be on the cruise to entertain people, when we already pay these people that work for us doing the shows so why not double up the shows since we pay them already and cut the budget since we don’t have to pay for these acts to come and perform on the ship. Now days it’s all bout the dollar and how much we can make for profit. If people don’t like changes that our coming who knows what’s in store for the three new ships. How do you know they aren’t trying things for the new ships. If you don’t like changes that are coming maybe it’s time you sail some other cruise line and get charged for everything. So if people decide to bail on Disney I guess less crowds for me and more room for me

If you don’t like changes that are coming maybe it’s time you sail some other cruise line
We've been on two other cruise lines that already repeat their main shows during the cruises. Didn't like them, don't like the repeats on DCL.

Disney started out saying (about their cruise line) they were different, they're an entertainment company that cruises. Not a cruise company that has entertainment.

Doubling up on the shows waters down the "entertainment" aspect of Disney being an entertainment company.

We're not asking for major production shows every night. Just what we've had before, 3 production shows, and variable individual entertainers (in the main theater, not the smaller venues).

When we started cruising DCL on a 7 night cruise you'd get the 3 production shows, a welcome aboard and till we meet again show, plus a couple of entertainers.

I don’t know what’s the uproar of repeating showsis all bout. You have to remember Karl Holtz is retiring and maybe Disney is doing this for cost savings.. maybe they are looking at why pay some artist so much money to be on the cruise to entertain people, when we already pay these people that work for us doing the shows so why not double up the shows since we pay them already and cut the budget since we don’t have to pay for these acts to come and perform on the ship. Now days it’s all bout the dollar and how much we can make for profit. If people don’t like changes that our coming who knows what’s in store for the three new ships. How do you know they aren’t trying things for the new ships. If you don’t like changes that are coming maybe it’s time you sail some other cruise line and get charged for everything. So if people decide to bail on Disney I guess less crowds for me and more room for me
Maybe customers don't like paying more for less. Disney has a budget....well so do most families. I'm not sure what cruise line your referring to that charges for everything. I've never been charged for shows on other cruiselines. Some ships have a lot of extra activities they charge a small fee for, but their optional and Disney doesn't have those. Dcl has a slide, and mini golf that are free. They have simulator thing on the Dream and Fantasy class that they do charge for quite a bit for, but other then that they don't have much...no surfing, rock climbing, ice skating etc. We don't know if DCL would charge extra for those things because they don't have them.

If people do decide to bail on DCL you won't find the ships less crowded. You may find more cast members and travel agents on the ships, but they won't be empty.

We've been on two other cruise lines that already repeat their main shows during the cruises. Didn't like them, don't like the repeats on DCL.

Disney started out saying (about their cruise line) they were different, they're an entertainment company that cruises. Not a cruise company that has entertainment.

Doubling up on the shows waters down the "entertainment" aspect of Disney being an entertainment company.

We're not asking for major production shows every night. Just what we've had before, 3 production shows, and variable individual entertainers (in the main theater, not the smaller venues).

When we started cruising DCL on a 7 night cruise you'd get the 3 production shows, a welcome aboard and till we meet again show, plus a couple of entertainers.
Why is it worse that the smaller entertainers are in the smaller venues? Genuine question, not being argumentative. It seems to me like this change gives passengers more choices not less because you can choose when to see the main shows but you can also see the variety acts just in a smaller venue.

I sent an email to DCL yesterday as I don't like this trend of double shows. I want something different to see every night in the Walt Disney Theater--we're fine with entertainers and a movie for the non-Disney show nights. I did mention that we're cruising on the Magic this summer and will be disappointed if we have 'duplicate' shows. For the premium we all pay for cruising Disney, we should have the option of seeing something different every night in the theater.

Here is the response I got from DCL (either she doesn't know about the current Wonder schedule or maybe it's just for this cruise...):
  • Currently, the option to see the same Broadway-caliber show on two different nights is only being offered on the Disney Dream. This is being offered Friday, April 20 through the month of September 2018.
  • Although subject to change, this option is not being offered onboard the Disney Magic.
  • As the schedules are subject to change without notice, the live show schedules are not published in advance. Please check your Personal Navigator once onboard for the most up-to-date information for your cruise.

Just to let you know we got off the magic on Saturday after the first Med cruise of the season, they repeated Tangled back to back nights and Dreams back to back nights. They did have Be our Guest show, and Darren said the repeat shows were because of very port intensive and late all board time. They had variety acts in Fathoms at various hours.

Just to let you know we got off the magic on Saturday after the first Med cruise of the season, they repeated Tangled back to back nights and Dreams back to back nights. They did have Be our Guest show, and Darren said the repeat shows were because of very port intensive and late all board time. They had variety acts in Fathoms at various hours.
Thanks for the recent report. I hope you had a good cruise!

I hope they stop doing the repeat shows before we cruise in August, even though we have 4 ports as well. There is only 1 day with the all aboard after dinner time--in the past they showed a movie that night--it would be nice if they went back to that. My family likes getting together for dinner and going to the Walt Disney theater for a 'new' show every evening. It's our guaranteed family time together.

Why is it worse that the smaller entertainers are in the smaller venues? Genuine question, not being argumentative. It seems to me like this change gives passengers more choices not less because you can choose when to see the main shows but you can also see the variety acts just in a smaller venue.
My reason to think it's worse: smaller venue, fits fewer people. Also, the bar areas are supposed to be adult only after 9PM. The second show in the Walt Disney Theater in Europe is from 8:45-9:45PM...does that mean that my 14 yr old can't go to the variety act at the same time, since they're held in Fathoms? That means we don't get to go to a family show that night.

My reason to think it's worse: smaller venue, fits fewer people. Also, the bar areas are supposed to be adult only after 9PM. The second show in the Walt Disney Theater in Europe is from 8:45-9:45PM...does that mean that my 14 yr old can't go to the variety act at the same time, since they're held in Fathoms? That means we don't get to go to a family show that night.
Or the adult areas are not adult only. Also not meeting quality expectations.

Thanks for the recent report. I hope you had a good cruise!

I hope they stop doing the repeat shows before we cruise in August, even though we have 4 ports as well. There is only 1 day with the all aboard after dinner time--in the past they showed a movie that night--it would be nice if they went back to that. My family likes getting together for dinner and going to the Walt Disney theater for a 'new' show every evening. It's our guaranteed family time together.

I feel the same way.

Or the adult areas are not adult only. Also not meeting quality expectations.

Yep. And this is a big deal to us. I want the adult only area to stay that way.

I didn't go to one show on the ebta.I guess that shows what little importance shows have to my cruise enjoyment. As far as I remember there were no repeats.

I'm on the Wonder right now (June 7th) and our cruise is showing:
  • The Golden Mickey's
  • Frozen (twice)
  • Dreams: An Enchanted Classic (twice)
  • The Great DuBois variety act
  • The Magic & Comedy of John Armstrong
  • The Music & Comedy of John Charles
  • Solo (Star Wars)
No shortage of entertainment on this 7-night cruise. The only ones not to be shown in the Walt Disney Theatre are the 2 comedy shows, which show in Azure while Frozen or Dreams is in the WD Theatre.

The Freezing the Night Away deck party was on the 3rd night of our cruise, which was our glacier day, so that made perfect sense. The 4th night (today) is Skagway with an all-aboard of 8pm, so holding it tonight wouldn't make much sense.

Last edited:
I'm on the Wonder right now (June 7th) and our cruise is showing:
  • The Golden Mickey's
  • Frozen (twice)
  • Dreams: An Enchanted Classic
  • The Great DuBois variety act
  • The Music & Comedy of John Charles
  • Solo (Star Wars)
No shortage of entertainment on this 7-night cruise.

The Freezing the Night Away deck party was on the 3rd night of our cruise, which was our glacier day, so that made perfect sense. The 4th night (today) is Skagway with an all-aboard of 8pm, so holding it tonight wouldn't make much sense.

That's great. It looks like a nice lineup. We saw John Charles on the Wonder in Alaska years ago and really enjoyed his show.

This would be a very balanced setup for a port-intensive itinerary. There are bucketloads of cruisers who after a long day of sightseeing aren't looking forward to having to catch a must-see show. The variety acts aren't for everyone anyways, and Disney seems to be prepping up the option to hold them at alternative venues for cost / flexibility.

I would totally vouch for some repeats if it allows Disney to spend more time in ports. Particularly in Europe and Alaska, where sightseeing is a big part of the experience.

I liked the extra showing of Beauty, especially while it is so new. We were on the Wonder when Frozen was new and they had three shows. People got turned away because the theatre was full. But there's no need to show anything else more than one night.

It seems that Golden Mickey's are on hiatus on both the Dream & Wonder. I hope it doesn't mean they're taking it away. Or, worse, replacing it with some other show (like Wishes).

I like having 3 different shows on a cruise. I wish DCL would keep it up.

I wonder if that is because Tim Allen's prominent appearance in The Golden Mickeys and his plugging his show a couple times, which was recently cancelled by ABC, and which Disney owns? May have nothing to do with it, but it is a thought.

It seems that Golden Mickey's are on hiatus on both the Dream & Wonder. I hope it doesn't mean they're taking it away. Or, worse, replacing it with some other show (like Wishes).

I like having 3 different shows on a cruise. I wish DCL would keep it up.
I wonder if that is because Tim Allen's prominent appearance in The Golden Mickeys and his plugging his show a couple times, which was recently cancelled by ABC, and which Disney owns? May have nothing to do with it, but it is a thought.
We saw the Golden Mickeys 2 days ago. It is not on hiatus.

The 3 main shows plus 3 variety acts and the Solo movie are all on display on the Wonder this week. Everything's been great. No worries.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter