Double Stroller

Himmin

Mouseketeer
We are doing a week in wdw then a week cruise then back to wdw. I am wondering what to do with our double Stroller. I don't want to leave it at wdw as herd stories of them getting lost. So I think my options are check it in with luggage and just carry our 8 month twins or use the stroller on the day of the cruise.

I would rather have the stroller for ease but worried in the terminal and getting onto ship and to stateroom maybe a nightmare.

We intend to keep it under our bed other than if we leave the ship.

I have checked the dimensions of the stroller we have and it is the same width as a standard size wheelchair so to me i can't see an issue getting too and from our stateroom with it otherwise people in wheelchaira wouldn't be able to sail DCL?

Does anyone have any advice or experience similar.

Thanks!

Last edited:
When my kids were younger I brought two singles as I knew that my double would not really work on the ship. I kept them folded and in the closet, although nowadays they should fit under the bed with no issue. The halls are barely big enough for a single and the only time I used the stroller was to bring to dinner if I thought my son would fall asleep. I conveniently kept it tucked out of the way. A double stroller would be a pain the MDR and possibly not permitted. I also used the stroller to walk my son if he was fussy and he would fall asleep in it. When you are at CC, I suggest that you leave the stroller on the ship and grab a wagon that they have free to use on the island. That way you don't have to deal with sand in your wheels. I would not use a double stroller in the terminal, too many people, but that is just me.

I agree ... a side by side stroller would be an absolute nightmare for you and everyone. The other type, where they are one behind the other would work better, but still an issue really.
Are your babies able to sit in an umbrella stroller each? That would be the best solution as they are so compact .. on CC, definitely get a cart, take lots of towels and make them a bed!

I would bring 2 umbrella strollers if I was uncomfortable leaving it at the resort. Or, perhaps DCL could store the stroller for you in the prohibited items area for your cruise.

Side by side strollers are wide and bulky and take up too much space in an area. They practically require a flagger out in front in crowds clearing a path to get through like wide load semis require. :rotfl2:. On a cruise ship, this will be amplified. The hallways are so narrow that two people can barely pass each other without touching. Its possible that the stroller will not go down the hallways at all. I know that mobility scooters do not fit in the hallways and have to be parked elsewhere because of their size.

Thankfully we were warned about the side by side strollers before our twins were born. We never used one and our daughters with twins didn't either. I HIGHLY suggest two umbrella strollers for your trip. Life would be much easier for you.

Last edited:
Mom of twins here. I LOVED my side by side double stroller. That said, it would never work on the ship, which it sounds like you know. I'd consider bringing umbrella strollers for the ship, and renting a double (two singles?) for the park. FWIW, I'm also a huge lover of good strollers at WDW, even way past the age my kids would have been in strollers in any other environment. That is a LOT of walking for little ones, and I love the storage that strollers give you. Umbrella strollers are, IMO, not as good for WDW due to less shade, less comfortable for kid and parent, hard to nap in, and no storage. We rented a great stroller that was delivered to, and then left at, our hotel, was light weight, and super easy to fold and store last time we went to WDW.

Are you opposed to renting a stroller at WDW rather than bring your own? We used one of the off-site stroller rental services recently and it was really a great experience. Of course that means not having one at the airport or the port, so I'm not sure if that is a tradeoff for you :) Otherwise, I like the idea of bringing 2 single umbrella strollers!

Unfortunately two umbrella strollers is not an option for us.

Our double Stroller is the same size as a standard size wheelchair so surely there can't be any issues with getting around with it?

Unfortunately two umbrella strollers is not an option for us.

Our double Stroller is the same size as a standard size wheelchair so surely there can't be any issues with getting around with it?
The "issues" have to do with actually using a double wide stroller in the passageways where the rooms are. When a double wide (or a standard wheelchair) is coming down the passage, anyone coming the other way must get out of the way. And, when housekeeping carts are in the passageway, it's impossible to pass those with a double wide stroller.

Surely though we shouldn't be made to feel bad about asking for a cart to be temporarily moved or if people would wait for a second, I would feel awful if anyone in a wheelchair thought I was being funny with them or that they were an inconvenience, why would my babies be any different?

Surely though we shouldn't be made to feel bad about asking for a cart to be temporarily moved or if people would wait for a second, I would feel awful if anyone in a wheelchair thought I was being funny with them or that they were an inconvenience, why would my babies be any different?
I suppose if you feel the world needs to adjust to accommodate you, that's probably true. But, why put the CMs in the position of having to stop their work, remove the cart, and then come back? It's not that simple a task. The passageways don't have convenient areas to just "step aside", so you're asking someone (who also may have mobility issues) to head back down the passageway to the elevator lobby, just so you can get by.

Most people onboard in wheelchairs are generally in the smaller scooters, or travel wheelchairs. I've been in passageways with those, and there's just enough room for one person at a time to squeeze by them in the hall.

So your also saying if your in a wheelchair you shouldn't cruise because you will be an inconvenience.

That seems very mean!

I would just bring your double. From your post it sounds like you'll only really use it on embarkation day and most of the time it will be stored. Yes, it'll be difficult in the hallways near the staterooms, but if you just put it away as soon as the room is ready it shouldn't be an issue.

So your also saying if your in a wheelchair you shouldn't cruise because you will be an inconvenience.

That seems very mean!
No, I'm not. A wheelchair is a different situation. Many times it's required, and I have no issues with those. It's just that knowing that using a double stroller when you've been informed that it will be an issue seems a bit of a "me-me-me" attitude.

Speaking as one who had 2 in strollers at the same time, I used the umbrella strollers in situations that my double wasn't practical.

That seems very mean!
She didn't say that.

We have three sets of twins. We had them and both of them had twins. We have to learn to work around these problems and not expect others to work around us.

Last edited:
Someone in a wheelchair has very few other options, often no other options. You have several options, whether you like them or not. Double stroller, two singles, baby carriers/backpacks, etc. They will be 8 mos at the time of the cruise? So they won't be walking. You'll have to carry or push them everywhere. If the stroller is just embarkation and debarkation, that's not too bad. If you are hoping to maneuver the ship repeatedly with it, it will be difficult. The stateroom hallways are very narrow and there are housekeeping carts stationed along them all.the.time. Often the CM's in charge of said carts in a room doing their job, not stationed out in the hall with the cart. The elevators are surprisingly small, at least on the older ships. Cabanas when not empty is hard to navigate as a single, mobile person. Pushing a stroller of any sort, more less a double, would be very difficult thru the people and tables. Maneuvering on and off the ship for port days will be crowded and also difficult to maneuver with even more people in the passageways and elevators.

We've given the advice or experience you asked for. Do with it what you please.

Goodness! Talk about being harsh. OP, it doesn't sound like your double stroller is a side-by-side since it's only the width of a regular wheelchair. We took our jeep stroller on the ship for a few years. We did use it onboard and it really wasn't a huge issue. I know that DH went on an excursion while I stayed onboard with the kids. Obviously, no one here has considered the fact that you or DH will be alone with the twins at any time and if you don't have a double stroller there is no way you will be able to leave the room. You holding both 8 mo olds, a diaper bag and anything else that you need to get around is going to be wider going down the hallway than the stroller. ;) Umbrella strollers won't help for the same reason since the only way to connect them is side-by-side, besides the fact that they are not comfortable for young children. Each of our kids fell asleep close to dinner time for a few years at least once during each cruise. We dressed them, put them in the stroller and headed to dinner. They joined us for dinner when they woke up and DH took the stroller back to the room. We learned quickly to avoid the midship elevators whenever possible, even without a stroller actually. We also get on the elevator going the opposite way we want to go. This cuts back on the wait time tremendously, especially at busy times. If you are finishing dinner and want to head up to your room, going down 1 or 2 floors won't add much time to the trip. The car will fill up before it gets back up to the atrium and you will continue to your destination. We also used a stroller when getting off the ship in port. Carrying the kids was a bit much and it was hot, even when we cruised in December. The stroller gave them shade also. Never had a problem getting on or off the ship with it. We did carry the kids and fold up the stroller when in a tender port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter