Downtown Denver area???

mamamary

DIS Veteran
Thanks to a thread I saw on the Dis recently (someone asking about what to see/do in Colorado) my husband and me are taking a small trip there. We are mainly staying in the Colorado Springs area. I got so many ideas from you guys and can't wait to go. We are landing in Denver at 9:30am. I'd like to stop in the downtown Denver area for a few hours. I figured we would have a late breakfast or early lunch. Ideally we'd like to park the car for just a few hours and walk around. For starters, how is driving in downtown? Is it easy to find parking spaces/garages? Looks like the 16th St. mall area has lots of restaurants. Any recommendations? Other things to see? Trying to mostly stay outdoors so not looking for museums/tours etc. Mostly wanting to see some sights in a short amount of time. Looks like they have some parks in the area. Any recommendations you have I'd appreaciate it. The trip is in less than three weeks if that matters. Thanks!

Well there used to be more parking, but they've gone a bit crazy with building and have filled in a lot of the parking lots. One thing that you can do, if you're concerned, is take the Lite-Rail train from the airport to downtown, it takes about 30 minutes, so really about the same amount of time that you would spend driving and parking, and then walk around down town and take the train back to the airport to pick up the rental car. You can store your luggage at the airport so you don't have to carry it with you and you don't have to worry about parking or having someone break into your car.

Yes, there are a ton of restaurants along the mall and in the surrounding area, what kind of food are you looking for? There's anything from chain restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, to micro-breweries like Rock Bottom (which is the building I work in!). The DAM (Denver Art Museum) is nearby, along with the Convention Center and the Big Blue Bear. The mall has a shuttle that drives up and down, stopping at every block, all day and night, so you can get from one end to the other pretty easily.

Depending on the day/time you arrive there are numerous options. Two great locations for breakfast burritos are either on 16th Street Mall or just a block away. Sam's No 3 is at 15th and Curtis and Illegal Pete's is on 16th Street Mall between Blake and Wazee. Also, my favorite breakfast spot (Snooze) is in Union Station.

Depending on the day/time you arrive there are numerous options. Two great locations for breakfast burritos are either on 16th Street Mall or just a block away. Sam's No 3 is at 15th and Curtis and Illegal Pete's is on 16th Street Mall between Blake and Wazee. Also, my favorite breakfast spot (Snooze) is in Union Station.
Sounds good! Thanks

Our daughter moved to Denver five years ago, and absolutely loves the area! My husband and I visit her at least several times a year. We had never been to Denver until she moved there, and we also love it. Colorado is a beautiful state and Denver is a nice city.

It might take a bit more time, but taking the light rail from the airport, and back again, is very easy, and it's a pleasant ride. It'll take you right to Union Station and from there you can walk to the downtown area. Plus, like others have also mentioned, there are free shuttles that run up and down the 16th Street Mall area. Denver's Union Station is an interesting building itself. Lots of history there, along with dining and shopping. I know they have a Farmer's Market outside Union Station, but it might only be certain days.

There are lots of shops, cafes and restaurants all along the 16th Street Mall, which I think is about a mile long.

On your drive from Denver to Colorado Springs, you'll go by the Outlets at Castle Rock. If you like to shop (yeah, it didn't take me long to discover this place!) these outlets are the best! I love the setting- the shops are located kind of in a valley with beautiful views all around. Tons of stores, restaurants and beautiful scenery! If you're looking for Colorado merchandise, stop in at the Colorado Store. You can find just about anything with "Colorado" on it. My youngest grandson's favorite book lately is about a friendly Sasquatch. Well, by golly, I found the cutest plush Sasquatches at the Colorado Store! LOL!

I hope you have fun on your trip!

Our daughter moved to Denver five years ago, and absolutely loves the area! My husband and I visit her at least several times a year. We had never been to Denver until she moved there, and we also love it. Colorado is a beautiful state and Denver is a nice city.

It might take a bit more time, but taking the light rail from the airport, and back again, is very easy, and it's a pleasant ride. It'll take you right to Union Station and from there you can walk to the downtown area. Plus, like others have also mentioned, there are free shuttles that run up and down the 16th Street Mall area. Denver's Union Station is an interesting building itself. Lots of history there, along with dining and shopping. I know they have a Farmer's Market outside Union Station, but it might only be certain days.

There are lots of shops, cafes and restaurants all along the 16th Street Mall, which I think is about a mile long.

On your drive from Denver to Colorado Springs, you'll go by the Outlets at Castle Rock. If you like to shop (yeah, it didn't take me long to discover this place!) these outlets are the best! I love the setting- the shops are located kind of in a valley with beautiful views all around. Tons of stores, restaurants and beautiful scenery! If you're looking for Colorado merchandise, stop in at the Colorado Store. You can find just about anything with "Colorado" on it. My youngest grandson's favorite book lately is about a friendly Sasquatch. Well, by golly, I found the cutest plush Sasquatches at the Colorado Store! LOL!

I hope you have fun on your trip!
I will keep my eyes open for the outlets!! Thanks. I'm really looking forward to the trip. We just booked yest. so it will be here before you know it.

Also, I know you asked about Denver, but some of my favorite places to visit in Colorado are in the Colorado Springs area. Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak (and the donut shop at the top), Broadmoor Hotel, Royal Gorge, and Cheyenne Mountain Zoo are all worth visiting.

Also, I know you asked about Denver, but some of my favorite places to visit in Colorado are in the Colorado Springs area. Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak (and the donut shop at the top), Broadmoor Hotel, Royal Gorge, and Cheyenne Mountain Zoo are all worth visiting.
Thank you. We are actually spending about 3 days in Colorado Springs and these are all on my list - didn’t know about the donut shop though.

Besides the places in Colorado Springs, when we lived there I used to like to wander through the shops in Manitou Springs. The Melodrama Dinner Theater can be fun to watch if you like that sort of thing.

Besides the places in Colorado Springs, when we lived there I used to like to wander through the shops in Manitou Springs. The Melodrama Dinner Theater can be fun to watch if you like that sort of thing.

I love Manitou Springs, and it's near Garden of the Gods, and on the way to Pike's Peak, so you can combine Manitou with either of the other two locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter