Dr Fauci: Vaccine may not produce herd immunity that U.S. needs.

typical vaccines take 4 years to develop, not sure I trust one that may take only one year start to finish...
the bad news?.... there has never been a vaccine developed for a Covid virus...

IF ( a big IF) they are actually able to develop a useful vaccine it should be given to the older people first. Why? Because they are the population most at risk. Giving it to younger people first would be a waste of a limited vaccine.

My family will not be first in line. After a few years, if this virus is still a big issue then maybe we'll take it.

It took decades and decades for polio to be considered gone from the U.S. after the introduction of the vaccine.

I see way too many comments from people thinking that the vaccine will provide immediate results and then they just default to blaming the people. In reality a vaccine is not a light switch here. It takes time to distribute, it takes time to get people to have the ability to get it (anyone remember hearing about the second shingles vaccine and the long wait list to get that one?) and that's simply from a 'get to you' viewpoint. Then you add in how effective the vaccine is not only in combating what you are trying to combat but also building up herd immunity. Herd immunity also takes time. I do agree the anti-vaxx movement is a big concern, such that was not so much long time ago. That's going to be a hurdle for us here. I'm really really hoping that we ease back on allowing the exemptions in general that we did in very recent years.

That said it's not a simple vaccine developed boom people take it boom we're good. This is one of the reasons I was concerned with people stating they won't do X until a vaccine or effective treatment was created because it's not something that will be handled within a few months. The U.S. is also not the only one in need of a vaccine. The world needs it. We have to understand we may not be priority in getting it (hence why some pre-purchase/investment has been done). We also have to understand this may be years-long process.

I hate the title to this article, because I'm betting many people don't actually read the article and interpret as "the vaccine won't work". What it's actually saying is that the vaccine won't produce herd immunity if people won't opt to get it. That is what they should say.
Exactly.

Fauci isn't saying it won't work; he's saying a too-large segment of the population will choose not to vaccinate, thereby keeping the virus going.

I also am not sure this will turn out to be a “seasonal” virus like the flu. It sure doesn’t appear that way now. We may just be living with it all year long.
I also agree with Heather. This was supposed to go away with warm weather. But here in Miami, temps are in the low 90's/feels like 100-102, and cases are increasing instead of going away.

And that is purely because people won't follow common-sense guidelines. Over the weekend, we had a restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale completely closed down and fined $15,000 for repeated Covid-19 violations.

Oh, I thought you were saying since you were Canadian, you were somehow immune to getting Covid 19.

No, no, not at all. Canadians are a lot of things, immune to Covid-19 is not one of them 😥

This was supposed to go away with warm weather. But here in Miami, temps are in the low 90's/feels like 100-102, and cases are increasing instead of going away.

I don't know that any medical professionals officially said that....I don't think anyone who was actually on the ground said - this is going away in the summer. I heard that line coming from a distinct group of people/person exclusively and it was part of the agenda of opening everything up.

Second to that - whether or not there is a vaccine all of a sudden anti-vaxxers will come out - passive ones as well - saying that it could cause side effects, they wont take it. All of the "you can't make me wear a mask" people will also say "you can't make me take a vaccine".

So he' not wrong - we will get the same percentage of compliance to social responsibility. And by the way that is half the battle on vaccines. It's socially responsibility.

Second to that - whether or not there is a vaccine all of a sudden anti-vaxxers will come out - passive ones as well - saying that it could cause side effects, they wont take it. All of the "you can't make me wear a mask" people will also say "you can't make me take a vaccine".

So he' not wrong - we will get the same percentage of compliance to social responsibility. And by the way that is half the battle on vaccines. It's socially responsibility.
Oh no, I agree with both you and Dr. Fauci.

The "you can't make me wear a mask" people remind me of visitors to Everglades NP who would get within inches of alligators -- or even more dangerous, baby alligators. Other visitors would ask us, "Why don't you stop them???"

And our answer? "We don't interfere with natural selection." And we didn't.

No, it absolutely was not. That narrative was pushed by people who wanted to minimize the severity of the pandemic.
Lots of people push various narratives for all sorts of reasons. The fact is, covid did not go away and we now have to deal with that reality.

No, it absolutely was not. That narrative was pushed by people who wanted to minimize the severity of the pandemic.
It isn't a narrative. The virus doesn't live as long in hot and humid weather. The problem is that hot and humid weather drives people indoors to places with recirculated dry air conditioned air.

On the good news front, yesterday had the lowest total of US deaths in three and a half months.

All the people that thought summer was going to eliminate COVID never heard of this thing called the Southern Hemisphere.
From what I remember, while COVID was around in the Southern Hemisphere, the numbers were not as nearly as bad as in the Northern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter