Dr wants to discuss MRI results in person-do I panic?

I'm sorry for the use of the word "stupid" (as a teacher, I REALLY try not to use it). What I *meant* was, I wish instead of tapdancing around the issue, the nurse would say the following, "I can't tell you the results AT ALL, you need to come in." It also would have been nice, since she knows me (small town, you know;) ), if she would have said, "I can tell you're really concerned about whether or not this appointment is urgent, let me have the doctor call you or I'll check with you and call you back".

In contrast to this, I had a mammogram done the same day, using the new technology (is it digital, is that right?), where it scanned right there (like Sears Photo Studio, ha), the radiologist four rooms down read it, five minutes later they printed me up a certificate that said I was cancer-free. LOVED it! (DH made a crack about using THAT pix for the Xmas card, I said NOT!!).

Thanks, yall for putting this in perspective...
Terri

PS DL SuperVet, I read your name, and decided you were either a park veteran, or a veterinarian! If the latter, I'd prefer you taking care of me than my doctor, since my dogs get reallllly good care from their vet;)

I wish I was a veterinarian. I could use the cash. Needless to say I'm one of those Disneyland obsessed people that have spent more time at the park than I care to admit. I once wrote a paper for school while riding the People Mover.

With all the HIPAA stuff floating around, you really can't give results over the phone anymore. There is no way to ensure they are really talking to you, and legally, they cannot give your information to anyone but you. It's also possible that if the MRI is negative the doc would want to talk about other options, different treatments, etc.

I really sometimes scratch my head over the whole HIPAA thing, because the nurse DID tell me all my bloodwork results (and believe me, there were a lot of them!). All were fine, but she gave me each and every one in as much detail as I wanted. So what's the dif?

Thanks all!
Terri

I had an MRI recently. My neurologist told me he discusses ALL MRI results in person. I thought maybe they said that to everyone and then they would give me good results on the phone. No such luck. My husband even took 1/2 day off to come with me - because we didn't know if I'd need him there.

I was fortunate and it was wasted time because the alternative was worse!

My doctor wanted me to do the same thing with my MRI - but I think it is honestly just so they can get another co-pay. I would try not to worry about it to much and just get in whenever you can.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

I have a friend who is married to a doctor. She was telling me she wished he would have more people into the office to give them their test results. She figures he's losing a lot of money by doing it over the phone. :headache:

I just nod and smile.......:upsidedow

I seriously doubt this.

I have to say, many doctors do call the "non-sick" back and take a few minutes to give You Have Nothing To Worry About test results so they can receive an easy payment.

It's a quick buck:thumbsup2

I have to say, many doctors do call the "non-sick" back and take a few minutes to give You Have Nothing To Worry About test results so they can receive an easy payment.

It's a quick buck:thumbsup2

I had one MD who would want me to come back for a replacement prescription. The medication she prescribed wasn't on my formulary, I told her what was, she said come on in. This wasn't the first "required "recall. I changed doctors. I later found out she had a two-year voluntary license suspension in the past.

I really sometimes scratch my head over the whole HIPAA thing, because the nurse DID tell me all my bloodwork results (and believe me, there were a lot of them!). All were fine, but she gave me each and every one in as much detail as I wanted. So what's the dif?

Thanks all!
Terri

This was also the case with me in previous years, however, this past year I was called by the receptionist and was told I had to schedule an appt. to discuss the bloodwork. I honestly think $$$ is the issue.

Good luck to you, I don't think you have anything to worry about.:hug:

I seriously doubt this.

I worked in a doc's office as a temp about 15 years ago. The doctors go to seminars that are three days long that teach them how to "maximize patient profit."

There are fewer and fewer doctors these days that don't hear "cha ching" when you walk into the office.

Many docs try to charge for these things because PCP are paid badly overall- when there is a cut in medicare their salary gets cut- just wait a few yrs when you can't get any appiontment because so many have left medicine. - it is happening everywhere and will only get worse.

OP here, just begging y'all not to turn this into a "doctor-bashing" thread (my beloved SIL is a g.p.:) ). I just wonder why they couldn't say, "There's nothing on the MRI to indicate (fill in the blank condition), but I'd like you to come in so I can show you in detail what your brain looks like". I don't mind show and tell, just don't want to worry from now until then! (By the by, I'm not going in until a week from Monday, so this thread will probably die it's natural death by then...).

Thanks for ALL opinions!
Terri

my mom had some tests done a few weeks ago, and the cardiologists office called and said they wanted to discuss the results with her in persone as well. Then scheduled the visit for 19 days later. Given that it was about her heart, we felt that it must not be serious..as time would be of the essence..we TRIED to get info from the tech who did the tests, but in no way were they budging. Not allowed to discuss...ESPECIALLY by phone..patient confidentiality etc. Dr. said it is his standard practice to discuss results so patient has the opportunity to ask questione, clarify etc., just better face to face. I know it stinks to not get the green light to ease your fears, but I guess have faith that if it was serious, you would not have been scheduled so far out for the visit.:hug:

OP here, just begging y'all not to turn this into a "doctor-bashing" thread (my beloved SIL is a g.p.:) ).

Terri

Thanks! I guess I can't speak for all doctors, but for me, its a no-brainer.

I would much rather spend an extra 15 minutes or so out of the office than with ungrateful, suspicious, unappreciate patients that will turn around and bash me, just to get a measly 30 % insurance reimbursement on a quick return, that doesn't even cover the cost of the overhead for that visit.

I truly hope all goes well for you, Terri. I'm glad to hear that you are not going in until Monday, that indicates that it is not anything urgent, so try not to worry too much!

OP here, just begging y'all not to turn this into a "doctor-bashing" thread (my beloved SIL is a g.p.:) ). I just wonder why they couldn't say, "There's nothing on the MRI to indicate (fill in the blank condition), but I'd like you to come in so I can show you in detail what your brain looks like". I don't mind show and tell, just don't want to worry from now until then! (By the by, I'm not going in until a week from Monday, so this thread will probably die it's natural death by then...).

Thanks for ALL opinions!
Terri

No, no doctor bashing for me. There are just some behaviors that some doctors do that I know come from those profit seminars, and if I'm at a new doc's office and I see some of those practices, I know to go elsewhere, because it's not being done for my benefit.

I'm not asking doctors to be saints, and I expect them to make a good living, but when certain procedures or fees are foisted on patients, I *know* that there's no benefit to the patient and only to the doctor, and that is what I have a problem with.

I've got some terrific "crazy patient" storms the doctor's office stories, too!!!:rolleyes:

Daisax, I had a similar experience with my DH, he went in to urgent care with "flu symptoms", they took one look at him, and called for an ambulance, even though urgent care was only at the other end of the building complex from the e.r.! Nothing like paying hundreds of dollars for an ambulance trip that never leaves the parking lot! (Yes, he did have a triple bypass three days later, so they were smart to insist...)

I feel better now, thanks y'all....

And had your husband had a massive heart attack as they were walking him across the parking lot, or pushing him across the parking in a wheelchair, and they lost precious moments of emergency treatment that would have been available in the ambulance because they had to run the rest of the way across the parking lot while your DH declined physically, what would your reaction have been? I'm going to guess it would have been something along the lines of "Why didn't they put him in an ambulance to take him there so if something happened the EMTs could have started treatment immediately instead of having to wait for someone to run him the rest of the way across the parking lot?" which would be followed by a HUGE lawsuit. Ambulance transportation to other facilities is usually a state regulation, not a provider choice. We have a nursing home across the street from our hospital, probably literally 500 feet away from the front door, that we have to call an ambulance to bring people to. We could literally roll people there in a wheelchair, but what if they fell out of the chair, died during the trip.... Then everyone would be screaming "How could they think it was OK to roll someone across the street to the nursing home???". Medical people are generally damned if they do and damned if they don't. And pretty much everyone thinks we are after money and co-pays, because, my God, wouldn't you want to deal with sick cranky people who think you are an incompetent thief all the time, with them coughing and puking on you, to make a $45 co-pay which probaly doesn't cover your overhead anyhow, and have the added benefit of them talking about what an incompetent thief you are on an Internet message board?

OP, if it was something really serious, you would have been told to "come in now and bring someone with you", or you would have been told "you need to go to the emergency room now". My guess is that if there is something minor showing on the CT scan, but the MD would like to speak to you in person, perhaps show you the CT scan films and point out the area at issue, discuss a treatment plan. There may also be nothing on the CT scan, and he wants to tell you that in person and discuss your next alternative in regard to treating whatever your issue is. My doctor would never have me come to his office to say "everything is fine, now go home". He'd tell me that over the phone, to allay my anxiety. Your MD may be different. If it was me, I'd get there as soon as I could to see what the deal was. If, in fact, your MD wanted to see you to tell you in person that everything was fine, wothout any further discussion of next steps, tretament plan or whatever, I'd have a conversation with him/her at that point with regard to how you wish to have medical results delivered to you.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

I have a friend who is married to a doctor. She was telling me she wished he would have more people into the office to give them their test results. She figures he's losing a lot of money by doing it over the phone. :headache:

I just nod and smile.......:upsidedow

Your friend is an idiot. Thank goodness her husband doesn't seem to be, since it doesn't sound like he does what "Mrs.Doctor" wishes he would.

To the Op-
DS had a MRI and we were told we needed to come back in for the results. I recall that our appointment for the results was almost 2 weeks after the MRI. Of course, as a mom, I was a nervous wreck. It turned out that there were no issues. It was just doctor policy to bring MRI patients back in to discuss results because of the seriousness of needing a MRI in the first place.

A dear friend of mine had a MRI in which a brain tumor was found. The doctor called her to come back in that same afternoon (of the day she had the MRI).

I believe and hope for you that since you weren't called back in immediately, that it will be ok. :grouphug:

Thanks! I guess I can't speak for all doctors, but for me, its a no-brainer.

I would much rather spend an extra 15 minutes or so out of the office than with ungrateful, suspicious, unappreciate patients that will turn around and bash me, just to get a measly 30 % insurance reimbursement on a quick return, that doesn't even cover the cost of the overhead for that visit.

I truly hope all goes well for you, Terri. I'm glad to hear that you are not going in until Monday, that indicates that it is not anything urgent, so try not to worry too much!

AMEN..... I have plenty of patients and not nearly enough open slots to just stick people in to tell them their results are "negative"... We tell people their results over the phone....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter