• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dreams Unlimited Travel Podcast | Travel Odds & Ends | 03/20/17

WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
With great tips on things like what kind of luggage to purchase, which converters to use, and making sure power strips and other odds and ends are up to date, this week's Dreams Unlimited Travel Podcast is sure to help you with some things you may not have thought of prior to the start of your vacation!

Enjoy the show!

Found the show the perfect mix of informative, and entertaining, as I always do!

Special shout out to Tracey, for her always reminding us, and making me laugh, about how "John and Kevin travel." :) ETA: I know it's all in lighthearted fun; bantering, poking fun among co-workers. :)

Last edited:
I have a tip too add for Americans who are using their Debt cards outside of the US if it has a Credit card logo on it machines outside of the US will read it s being a credit card. Alos if you have a chip card it must be used rather then the magnetic strip so don't be surprised if you get handed the machine or poemted to insert your chip into it. If you don't yet have pin attached to your card for chip and pin you will need to sign

Those men have clearly never straightened their hair before! Unless you are 15, one does not just merely purchase a new hair straightener in another country as if it were a tube of toothpaste. Too funny!

I have never straightened my hair. Unless I put a handful of product in my hair, it hangs pin straight.

But on more than one occasion I have walked with a fellow traveler to make a frantic last minute purchase of a hair dryer, hair straightener or curling iron...because theirs caught fire or shorted out.

I know where to go in Paris, Rome and Venice.

...if you have a chip card it must be used rather then the magnetic strip so don't be surprised if you get handed the machine or poemted to insert your chip into it. If you don't yet have pin attached to your card for chip and pin you will need to sign

The first time I was introduced to using a chip card reader was in Amsterdam airport a couple of years ago. I had a card with a chip, but had never used it. Now, it's pretty commonplace in the US. Still most US CC's don't yet have pin numbers. I'm sure it will come someday. It would eliminate a lot of fraud.

Lovely! I have a 5 hour drive today and thanks to Blue Tooth I can watch the video AND listen. My DH is driving and he'll be OK with it unless the Red Sox are playing.

Those men have clearly never straightened their hair before! Unless you are 15, one does not just merely purchase a new hair straightener in another country as if it were a tube of toothpaste. Too funny!

also a reminder to me that I am happy I have a low-maintenance wife. She puts a bit of product in her hair and uses her fingers. No appliances needed.

also a reminder to me that I am happy I have a low-maintenance wife. She puts a bit of product in her hair and uses her fingers. No appliances needed.
I wish! I have an evil head of hair. Super curly on the bottom and stick straight on top. I either have to curl it, straighten it, or look like an disheveled mess for the day.

I wish! I have an evil head of hair. Super curly on the bottom and stick straight on top. I either have to curl it, straighten it, or look like an disheveled mess for the day.

She has really think hair so she's cut most of it off and has a mohawk currently (thus the need for product)

Speaking of knowing a few words of a foreign language, someone ask Kevin the translation of andiamo. :duck:

Me too, absolutely. My wife is a real trooper when it comes to letting her hair do whatever it does when we go abroad. My daughter on the other hand ... let's just say I know my way around any retailer that sells Nintendo power cords in more than one country. Ugh. Those stinking 3DS systems hate adapters.

This was a fun show! I also use a very expensive hair dryer, it's my number one concern when I'm sorting out my packing needs for a trip abroad. Why can't hotels just offer good powerful hair tools, even for an upcharge?

Also, a quick luggage suggestion -- check out Away https://www.awaytravel.com/shop?gclid=CKz7gaTC-dICFRUHhgodsqYL7w

They're a brand new company and their whole business model is offering high-quality, durable luggage at more reasonable prices (they were founded by former Warby Parker folks, so they definitely have a "disruptor" mindset). The line isn't huge but they have a couple of different models to pick from and they all seem really well-thought out and smartly designed (their carry-on models have a built in battery so you can charge your devices on the go -- genius!). After borrowing one from a friend (who's a road warrior type and travels constantly) I was really impressed -- I'm planning on ordering one before a big trip this summer.

This was a fun show! I also use a very expensive hair dryer, it's my number one concern when I'm sorting out my packing needs for a trip abroad. Why can't hotels just offer good powerful hair tools, even for an upcharge?

Also, a quick luggage suggestion -- check out Away https://www.awaytravel.com/shop?gclid=CKz7gaTC-dICFRUHhgodsqYL7w

They're a brand new company and their whole business model is offering high-quality, durable luggage at more reasonable prices (they were founded by former Warby Parker folks, so they definitely have a "disruptor" mindset). The line isn't huge but they have a couple of different models to pick from and they all seem really well-thought out and smartly designed (their carry-on models have a built in battery so you can charge your devices on the go -- genius!). After borrowing one from a friend (who's a road warrior type and travels constantly) I was really impressed -- I'm planning on ordering one before a big trip this summer.
I love that business model and I've been a happy Warby Parker customer for a few years now. I likely won't need luggage anytime soon but when I do I'll be sure to check them out more closely.

Just thought I would add that we were in the market for some new carry-ons (specifically smaller ones that would be safer for international travel) so this episode really helped. We went with Delsey ones and they just arrived and they look really nice - we'll see how they work on when we use them a couple of times in the next month or so and then will report our level of "thanks" to @DSNYDREAMER for the recommendation ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter