• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dress Code

My husband has a custom-made Scottish kilt tuxedo. He wore it on our first real date, to a college formal dance. It wouldn't even occur to me that it wouldn't count as formal enough for any occasion!

Unfortunately, it appears between having just enough people who lack the common sense on how to dress appropriately, having enough people who are offended by others dress, and an evolving fashion industry, there are needs for dress codes.

The byproduct of which is there is a dress code where this could arguably not allowed as jeans/collarless

A-Life-Well-Suited-collarless.jpg

while this passes

senior-man-standing-with-hands-on-hips-picture-id185300318

The byproduct of which is there is a dress code where this could arguably not allowed as jeans/collarless
I think that would be considered "collared".

And "jeans"? Well, I think the issue is that Palo used to say no "denim". "Jeans" may not be "denim" and "denim" aren't always "jeans".

I honestly hope that at Palo and Remy the hosts have some discretion. If the dude in the sport coat is turned away, that means the hosts have no allowance for judgement call, which would be ridiculous.

Am I weird in that I honestly don't notice what other people are wearing? I'm more interested in enjoying my dinner than looking around to see what people have on - so what people wear has zero impact on my dinner.

I usually don't notice either except last november when there was a "Santa" on board. I didn't even realize it was a "thing", until someone explained it to me. But every night this man and his wife had REALLy intricate outfits of what you would think Santa and Mrs Clause would wear to dinner.

3 years ago on our Alaskan cruise there was a group of adults that had a teddy bear that they took with them to dinners/character meets. Every night the bear was in an elaborate outfit. I'd say the bear was dressed better than most people on the ship. My dd and I looked forward to seeing what the bear would wear each night.

America has taken "casual" to mean sweats/yoga pants or pajamas even out in public anymore (WalMart for example :rolleyes2) so jeans is almost "dressing up" to many people now. I for one wouldn't be caught dead in pajamas (and usually not yoga pants or sweats---I reserve those things only for around the house or when we are camping) out in public-- But to each his own.....and so the world adapts as to not "offend" anyone.
It's more complicated than offense, since you will have at least as many bothered by someone dressing too casually as you would have someone being denied the ability to dress casually. More, in fact. Businesses keep close tabs on preferences until the majority tips over.

We don't even bring denim on a cruise, and have never left the house in sweats. But I do appreciate no longer being required to wear pantyhose to work every day, so there are some upsides to a more casual society.

It's more complicated than offense, since you will have at least as many bothered by someone dressing too casually as you would have someone being denied the ability to dress casually. More, in fact. Businesses keep close tabs on preferences until the majority tips over.

We don't even bring denim on a cruise, and have never left the house in sweats. But I do appreciate no longer being required to wear pantyhose to work every day, so there are some upsides to a more casual society.

The bottom line is no one is saying that people who want to dress up can't. Making the suggested dress code more casual doesn't mean people cannot dress up as much as they want.

You want to wear a tux or ball gown every night? Go for it.

You want to dress casually every night? Follow the guidelines and go for it.

You want to eat in your pajamas? Order room service or eat by the pool.

Unfortunately, it appears between having just enough people who lack the common sense on how to dress appropriately, having enough people who are offended by others dress, and an evolving fashion industry, there are needs for dress codes.

A-Life-Well-Suited-collarless.jpg

while this passes

senior-man-standing-with-hands-on-hips-picture-id185300318

C'mon now, what a ridiculous post The biggest differentiator between those pictures has absolutely nothing to do with the clothes...it's age.

C'mon now, what a ridiculous post The biggest differentiator between those pictures has absolutely nothing to do with the clothes...it's age.

That is a very fair point. Removing the difference in model/etc, I still think denim/collarless in today's fashion *can be* more appropriate than pants/collar. Bottom line is the margins on both sides (those who will try and show up inappropriately dressed, and those who get offended/bothered by evolving fashion trends) create the need for dress codes which unfortunately can be arbitrary without discretion. My point is I would wear the denim and sports coat in the first picture and feel appropriately dressed, and I would not feel appropriately dressed if I wore below (even though it's clearly allowed). I also must note I wouldn't be offended by the below attire, just wouldn't find it as appropriate to the atmosphere for myself.

9743dbd7355add6af7dc9dbefb0a2344.jpg

Last edited:

I think it is fit of clothes, the fact one is tucked in and the other not, etc. Yes, there is a difference in age, but it is the cut, style, fit of the overall look too. My husband is 58 and dresses much more like the "younger" guy than the "older guy."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter