• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dress for a teen for a wedding?

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
Hi My nephew is getting married in a few weeks and my kids are invited. I have been struggling to find my 13 year old a dress. I don't know if it's a bad time of the year or if it's just a tough age group. We have never purchased a fancy dress for her before so I really don't have much to base it on. We have been to Macy's and most of the mall type stores here in NJ. We found one in Macy's that fit her ok but neither of us really loved it. The Macy's dress was a size 5 in the junior department. I'm not sure what size she would be in other stores. I'm finding either no dresses at all or dresses that aren't appropriate for a 13 year old. Is there a store I'm not thinking of? Will more dresses come out as the Holidays approach? I haven't explored online because one I hate to pay for shipping and also because I'm not sure of the sizing. The wedding is October 8th so I'm running out of time. : (

Hi My nephew is getting married in a few weeks and my kids are invited. I have been struggling to find my 13 year old a dress. I don't know if it's a bad time of the year or if it's just a tough age group. We have never purchased a fancy dress for her before so I really don't have much to base it on. We have been to Macy's and most of the mall type stores here in NJ. We found one in Macy's that fit her ok but neither of us really loved it. The Macy's dress was a size 5 in the junior department. I'm not sure what size she would be in other stores. I'm finding either no dresses at all or dresses that aren't appropriate for a 13 year old. Is there a store I'm not thinking of? Will more dresses come out as the Holidays approach? I haven't explored online because one I hate to pay for shipping and also because I'm not sure of the sizing. The wedding is October 8th so I'm running out of time. : (

I found my mother of the bride dress on Target.com. Surprisingly, they have a lot of nice dresses online, many of the womens dresses listed under 'wedding guest' are cute enough for a teen. (Smallest size I am seeing is a 4, not sure if that would be too big for her) They often have free shipping, also free store pickup, and can return to the store. I bought several dresses in several sizes and returned the rest.

http://www.target.com/c/wedding-guest-dresses-women-s-clothing/-/N-4xv2e

We're big online shoppers and DD used to like Modcloth

This is a great time of year for a dressier dress! The stores-including Macy's -should have a great selection of homecoming dresses! Granted, there will be some that are "skanky", but there will probably some that would work! Potentially a bonus-it might even work for a homecoming dress when your DD is in high school.

In my opinion, there will be less dresses closer to the holidays.

My DD got at least 2 of her high school dresses at Macy's, at least 2 at Boston Store, one at Ross.

It has been awhile though, DD is now 22.

Good luck!

I'm never a fan of the Junior departments for dresses but sometimes you gotta go there for the right size. They are usually fairly tacky looking. What month is the wedding and what part of the country? Will it still be nice or is getting really chilly where you are.

You can actually find some fairly decent stuff in Target's Mossimo line depending on if you hit the store/season at the right time.

Do you have a Nordstrom Rack or Burlington near you. They seem to both have TONS of dresses near me all starting at size 0 which would be about right for a size 5. Marshall's also carries some but the smaller sizes are harder to find more formal stuff in.

I'm never a fan of the Junior departments for dresses but sometimes you gotta go there for the right size. They are usually fairly tacky looking. What month is the wedding and what part of the country? Will it still be nice or is getting really chilly where you are.

You can actually find some fairly decent stuff in Target's Mossimo line depending on if you hit the store/season at the right time.

Do you have a Nordstrom Rack or Burlington near you. They seem to both have TONS of dresses near me all starting at size 0 which would be about right for a size 5. Marshall's also carries some but the smaller sizes are harder to find more formal stuff in.[/QUOTE

The wedding is in October in New Jersey. I have Nordstrom Rack and Burlington. I didn't know they had that big of a selection, I'll have to try there, thanks!

I agree with Nordstroms. Don't just look in the tween section. Look in the dress section. I hated juniors. My back up is David's Bridal, as they usually have sales on their rack dresses. Banana Republic (do they still exist?) or ann Taylor are possibilities as well.

When my daughter was that age we always had luck with JC Penny. They seemed to understand that kids don't go from age 10 to 16 over night and made dresses that were age appropriate in style and also fit right.

Dd13 and dd15 are very thin, and up until a few months ago dd15 was very short, so hard to find dresses (try finding a cut dress to wear to a sweet 16 when you wear a size 8/10 girls).

Nordstroms online is great! Free shipping both ways, reviews, and they come in two days. Turn your living room into the dressing room!

When my daughter was that age we always had luck with JC Penny. They seemed to understand that kids don't go from age 10 to 16 over night and made dresses that were age appropriate in style and also fit right.

I used to find a lot there but ever since they remodeled the ones by us they don't have the selection they used to. I wish they would go back to the way they used to be.Thanks!

I agree with Nordstroms. Don't just look in the tween section. Look in the dress section. I hated juniors. My back up is David's Bridal, as they usually have sales on their rack dresses. Banana Republic (do they still exist?) or ann Taylor are possibilities as well.
Great idea thanks! I always forget Nordstrom is free shpping.

I just bought my 13yo a dress for a wedding online from Delia's.

ETA
I've also bought her dresses from ModCloth in the past

Last edited:
I found a great dress for my 14 year old at the Lord and Taylor at the GArden State Plaza.
A few weeks ago they had a section of formal /cocktail dresses on sale......... The Macys at the GSP also had a large homecoming selection in their junior dept...

My 15 yo DD wears size 5 juniors and she wears a size 4 in womens. Are you looking for any specific style? I see plenty of things on Kohls.com that I think would be appropriate for a 13 yo.

Do you have a Dillard's near you? How fancy are you thinking? Now is a good time due to Homecoming. How about Younkers? A couple weeks ago I ordered some yellow dot clearance dresses at Younkers. With a 40% off coupon and a free shipping code I got some for $13 and $17. We ordered 3 and between the 2 girls are using one for this Homecoming and one for prom.

I agree with Kohl's.(quick search showed these) You can order online and return to store. A skater style would be fine for a wedding
1939568_New_Navy
2503330_New_Navy
add fun color shoes and bracelet

I second the skater style....that's similar to the one I got my daughter...she was comfortable danced the night away....and looked age appropriate !

I had a daughter, the problem at that age is the neckline. You buy a cute dress at forever21 (cheap cheap cheap) and wear a cameo underneath. Looks great and everything important is covered

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter