Drinking straws

insureman

DIS Veteran
Are they still using the awful paper straws? They still had them on the Wish this past February.

Unfortunately, those straws probably aren't going away any time soon. The alternatives are all pretty bad, too.

Disney cruise won’t be coming back to plastic straws. Those are gone for good on Disney properties and the incentive for disposable plastic to leave the ships is even greater.
That was the pledge across many cruise lines. Go to paper or even no straws. From 2018:

Much of the plastics found in the ocean comes in the form of single use items like water bottles, plastic bags and of course, straws. Major cruise lines like Norwegian Cruise Line, Disney Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International and Virgin Voyages have all pledged to stop using plastic straws aboard their ships, replacing them with paper straws or no straws at all.

That was the pledge across many cruise lines. Go to paper or even no straws. From 2018:

Much of the plastics found in the ocean comes in the form of single use items like water bottles, plastic bags and of course, straws. Major cruise lines like Norwegian Cruise Line, Disney Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International and Virgin Voyages have all pledged to stop using plastic straws aboard their ships, replacing them with paper straws or no straws at all.
Interesting how all this started…

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/22/6312...ed-influence-on-the-debate-over-plastic-waste

We were on the last EBTA Magic. I’m unable to use straws made from wood because I am allergic to Maple and Pines. So I can’t have syrup or adhesive either.
I had heard that Mediterranean cruises had plastic straws by request. This did turn out correct.
We heard it worded a few different ways, but it mainly boiled down to crazy Americans throw straws in the ocean. European’s throw straws in the garbage. And other’s comments addressed other larger wasteful concerns but Americans only cared about straws. It hurt to hear that’s how they looked at Americans.
I don’t know if the Dream was set up with plastic straws this year but I would bet that they had them by the end of the Med season.

We were on the last EBTA Magic. I’m unable to use straws made from wood because I am allergic to Maple and Pines. So I can’t have syrup or adhesive either.
I had heard that Mediterranean cruises had plastic straws by request. This did turn out correct.
We heard it worded a few different ways, but it mainly boiled down to crazy Americans throw straws in the ocean. European’s throw straws in the garbage. And other’s comments addressed other larger wasteful concerns but Americans only cared about straws. It hurt to hear that’s how they looked at Americans.
I don’t know if the Dream was set up with plastic straws this year but I would bet that they had them by the end of the Med season.
Most of those straws with have a type of gluten in them to bind them so anyone who is gluten intolerant or Coeliac cannot use them either. We bring our own straws.

Since they did away with plastic straws onboard I bring several stainless steel straws and use those in the dining room and around the pool. The set I have even has a straw cleaner and a straw with a spoon on the end for those yummy Mudslides that I drink by the pool!!

MJ

Something kinda cool that Carnival was doing on one of my cruises is using candy straws. They kinda reminded me of whatever the dip stick for Fun Dip is made out of. Not exactly the best but better than paper IMO. I have super sensitive teeth so a drink with ice in it I can't drink unless I have a straw of some sort.

Something kinda cool that Carnival was doing on one of my cruises is using candy straws. They kinda reminded me of whatever the dip stick for Fun Dip is made out of. Not exactly the best but better than paper IMO. I have super sensitive teeth so a drink with ice in it I can't drink unless I have a straw of some sort.
Carnival uses Sorbos straws, which are terrible.

1. They contain bovine gelatin, so they aren't vegetarian/vegan friendly.
2. They melt and become sticky.
3. They're made with sugar, which adds calories to what's likely an already unhealthy drink.
4. They claim to not alter the flavor of the drink, but that seems impossible given #2 and #3.

No, thanks.

Carnival uses Sorbos straws, which are terrible.

1. They contain bovine gelatin, so they aren't vegetarian/vegan friendly.
2. They melt and become sticky.
3. They're made with sugar, which adds calories to what's likely an already unhealthy drink.
4. They claim to not alter the flavor of the drink, but that seems impossible given #2 and #3.

No, thanks.
Personally, I will say I didn't notice them changing the flavor of the drink, unless you took a bite out of it while drinking. I also never had an issue with them melting or getting sticky. I'm sure they'd get sticky if you licked them and let it dry maybe? Idk they're sugary so yes if you put it on your hands I'm sure your hands will get sticky. Mine never left my glass except when I ate it.

For me, Calories don't count on a cruise lol.

My favorite disposable straw so far is the sugarcane fiber straw that Joffrey's uses at the parks. They last a long time, they don't taste like anything, and they aren't made from cows. They're compostable, too, though I do wonder if Disney bothers with it since the straws just end up mixed in with the rest of the trash.

I haven't had much luck with reusable straws. They just never feel clean.

I understand people with disabilities that need straws but when did adults become straw users? I remember very clearly that straws were NOT a thing in the early 80's except for specialty drinks like milkshakes. I'm perfectly capable of drinking without one.

I understand people with disabilities that need straws but when did adults become straw users? I remember very clearly that straws were NOT a thing in the early 80's except for specialty drinks like milkshakes. I'm perfectly capable of drinking without one.
My dentist recommends that I use a straw when consuming a drink with sugar in it because that allows some of the liquid to bypass my front teeth. Unfortunately, my front teeth have always been problematic.

Besides, straws make some drinks better and give you an easy way to remix them if the ingredients start to separate.

My dentist recommends that I use a straw when consuming a drink with sugar in it because that allows some of the liquid to bypass my front teeth. Unfortunately, my front teeth have always been problematic.

Besides, straws make some drinks better and give you an easy way to remix them if the ingredients start to separate.
Generally curious why you continue to drink sugary drinks? I have bad teeth and avoid them and fruit juice.

Generally curious why you continue to drink sugary drinks? I have bad teeth and avoid them and fruit juice.
I'm with the above poster. My dentist recommends I use straws. Not because I have bad teeth but I have overly sensitive teeth. I need some kind of barrier between the ice in my drink and my teeth. Whether it be a straw of some sorts, or a lid with a little spout I can drink out of (sometimes still have an issue with these but not as bad) -- essentially like the coffee cup lids.

For me, I'd have to order every drink without ice otherwise which isn't fun since then my drink gets warm before I drink it all.

There's a lot of reasons people use or prefer straws.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter