Drinking straws

Since they did away with plastic straws onboard I bring several stainless steel straws and use those in the dining room and around the pool. The set I have even has a straw cleaner and a straw with a spoon on the end for those yummy Mudslides that I drink by the pool!!

MJ
That's what I use (minus the spoon end). It's collapsible and it comes in a little plastic box that's easy to throw in my purse or pocket without getting anything wet after use. I just clean it every night before I go to bed and leave it to dry overnight. I'm now looking for one with a wider diameter for drinking thicker frozen drinks. I do like the idea of one with a spoon end though for those thicker ones.

I remember very clearly that straws were NOT a thing in the early 80's except for specialty drinks like milkshakes.

I guess that depends on where you're from because I've almost never been anywhere that you didn't get a straw for the last 50 years or more, especially if there's ice in the glass. If I don't think that I'll tip the contents into my face trying to avoid ice, I will usually drink without a straw but for those times that I need them, I use the metal one as described above.

Generally curious why you continue to drink sugary drinks?
Probably because people find them tasty?

Because I enjoy iced coffee with some sugar in it.

Look, I don't need to defend myself here. You asked why adults use straws and I gave you two reasons.
No you don't need to defend yourself and you didn't need to answer me. Thank you though. I too enjoy iced coffee. Cheers.

That's what I use (minus the spoon end). It's collapsible and it comes in a little plastic box that's easy to throw in my purse or pocket without getting anything wet after use. I just clean it every night before I go to bed and leave it to dry overnight. I'm now looking for one with a wider diameter for drinking thicker frozen drinks. I do like the idea of one with a spoon end though for those thicker ones.

I guess that depends on where you're from because I've almost never been anywhere that you didn't get a straw for the last 50 years or more, especially if there's ice in the glass. If I don't think that I'll tip the contents into my face trying to avoid ice, I will usually drink without a straw but for those times that I need them, I use the metal one as described above.

Probably because people find them tasty?
Did you go to Europe or Asia during that 50 years?

I bounced back and forth between Europe and the US as an army brat throughout the 80's and early 90's.

Straws were not super prevalent in Europe off-base but were pretty common on base. Now that I think about it, I don't think I remember using one off base unless it was a fast food place. They were also super common when we were back in the States. Restaurants, fast food places. I will say I don't recall restaurants being like today where they usually just give it to you whether you want it or not. You had to ask for one. Even convenience stores had them if you got a fountain drink. So I guess maybe it's just an American thing?

Everyone should use straws when drinking acidic drinks like coke. And then frozen drinks are impossible to drink without a straw.
My dentist suggests using straws with any carbonated beverage, even sparkling water or club soda, since carbonic acid can be an issue even with those. It’s less of an issue if you are also eating something, but still worthwhile considering.

I understand people with disabilities that need straws but when did adults become straw users? I remember very clearly that straws were NOT a thing in the early 80's except for specialty drinks like milkshakes. I'm perfectly capable of drinking without one.
If you're drinking a soda, that will harm your teeth exponentially more if you don't use a straw.

Below was the original comment to which I responded. No location was specified, just a blanket statement, so the snarky response was not really warranted. But also, yes, I did go to Europe during those 50 years and, yes, in some places (particularly larger cities), they did provide straws. And, yes, at least one of those times was in the late 1980's.
I remember very clearly that straws were NOT a thing in the early 80's except for specialty drinks like milkshakes.

I don't even think about straws anymore. It's against the law in California to provide a straw unless a customer specifically requests it. I haven't missed them.

I don't even think about straws anymore. It's against the law in California to provide a straw unless a customer specifically requests it. I haven't missed them.
Ha. Sometimes they won't give me a straw but more often than not I'm still getting one without asking. Especially at a drive thru. And the kids drink at restaurants is also automatically served with a lid and a straw. Law or no law.

There's also the plastic bag rule which all it did is change the bag. I rarely see anyone with reusable bags.

I have a container full of various straws at home because I hate to just throw them away (I can give them back, but DH never does). I have a reusable metal straw with one of those silicone toppers and I prefer to use that.

There's also the plastic bag rule which all it did is change the bag. I rarely see anyone with reusable bags.
The reusable bags were banned during the pandemic, but they are back now.,
Our Walmart was one of the test sites 15 years ago where they started charging for bags. We bought 250 good old fashioned brown paper grocery bags then. Then Walmart went back to giving bags away, then the law changed where all stores starting charging a dime for a bag. We have been using those same brown paper bags for the last 15 years.....with a break during the pandemic. During the pandemic we would just put everything back in the cart, and bag everything up at the car to take home.

I have a set of silicone straws that came with a cleaner. Bendable, and they don't get freezing cold like stainless steel.

Can't stand paper straws.

In 2020, we ate at Homecomin' in Disney Springs for the first time. When we ordered drinks, we were surprised they came with 'plastic' straws. We were even MORE surprised to find out they were made from agave fibers and composable. We love them - they feel like plastic, don't disintegrate or bend in your drink. We order them off Amazon.

I keep a bag of them in our park bag, and the last time we went through security (in 2022), the security person asked about them, and thought they were a great idea too.

Can't stand paper straws.

In 2020, we ate at Homecomin' in Disney Springs for the first time. When we ordered drinks, we were surprised they came with 'plastic' straws. We were even MORE surprised to find out they were made from agave fibers and composable. We love them - they feel like plastic, don't disintegrate or bend in your drink. We order them off Amazon.

I keep a bag of them in our park bag, and the last time we went through security (in 2022), the security person asked about them, and thought they were a great idea too.
I have a box of those, too. They work great.

Unfortunately, there are some problems with increasing agave production. It's not currently sustainable long term.

I have a box of those, too. They work great.

Unfortunately, there are some problems with increasing agave production. It's not currently sustainable long term.
Amazon also carries compostable straws made from sugar cane fibres and some from corn fibres. Our preferred is the agave type, but lots of different types and sizes came up when I searched for them.

We just get straws from Chick-fil-A and take them with us. And... we make sure they go in a trash bag when we are done with them (novel concept...)
This. I've sailed ten Disney cruises and have never seen any trash going overboard from a Disney ship.

I understand people with disabilities that need straws but when did adults become straw users? I remember very clearly that straws were NOT a thing in the early 80's except for specialty drinks like milkshakes. I'm perfectly capable of drinking without one.
I have sensitive teeth, as other posters have said, but I also like having ice in my drinks to keep them cool so I don't want to just order things without ice. Using a straw helps minimize the direct contact with my teeth.

Also some drinks (Mojitos being the first example I can think of, and those Starbucks refreshers with the fruit in them) have things in them that are necessary to the drink but that I don't necessarily want getting in my mouth while I'm taking a sip. A straw helps bypass that.

Also just want to say that I'll join the chorus of not being able to stand paper straws. I have sensory issues and that soggy paper feeling is completely unbearable to me. I like those agave/corn/sugar cane fibre options that others have mentioned. They still have a bit of a bite like a plastic straw but also will decompose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter