Drinking straws

I understand people with disabilities that need straws but when did adults become straw users? I remember very clearly that straws were NOT a thing in the early 80's except for specialty drinks like milkshakes. I'm perfectly capable of drinking without one.
With my allergies to tree’s maybe it makes the taste very strong for me??? Makes my tongue feel weird. I’m thinking that’s not good either.
But aside from my allergy issues I have another that’s not helping the environment. My reading glasses and before that my prescription glasses are all over the US. I can almost tell you what color I left in each state for the past 40 years.
But most recently since Disney changed the straws, sadly now, I quickly and very absent mindedly dispose of my silicone and metal straws like trash. So I hope the turtles put my readers to good use, I’ll bet their eyes are as bad as mine and I understand they will live much longer than I can.

I have sensitive teeth, and also hate when the ice breaks free and avalanches against my face.

That being said, I applaud the effort to eliminate plastic straws. It’s not a an issue of them being thrown in the garbage vs. thrown on the ground. Once in the garbage, the plastics break down but never go away. The environment is really taking a beating from the avoidable single use plastics we’ve all taken for granted for so many years.

I still haven’t found a good alternative - but this thread has given me a couple more options to try! Thanks to everyone who posted a good alternative to using the single use plastic versions (no matter what the source). 👍

Can't stand paper straws.

In 2020, we ate at Homecomin' in Disney Springs for the first time. When we ordered drinks, we were surprised they came with 'plastic' straws. We were even MORE surprised to find out they were made from agave fibers and composable. We love them - they feel like plastic, don't disintegrate or bend in your drink. We order them off Amazon.

I keep a bag of them in our park bag, and the last time we went through security (in 2022), the security person asked about them, and thought they were a great idea too.
Oh, yikes! I'm allergic to agave, and it never occurred to me to be worried about straws. I rarely use them, but I guess I'll pick up some reusable straws for Disney.

Oh, yikes! I'm allergic to agave, and it never occurred to me to be worried about straws. I rarely use them, but I guess I'll pick up some reusable straws for Disney.
I believe the straws were in wrappers and marked 'Agave - composable', but when in doubt, ask. They can also be made with sugar cane fibers and corn husk fibers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter