• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drive by baby shower - have you been to one?

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
Just got an invitation to one and wondering what it’s like because it seems like more than a drive by because invitation says there will be curbside treats. I don’t want to be amongst a crowd of people that are hugging kissing type of people. Yes, I’m afraid of getting COVID.
The registry includes items from Amazon so maybe I will just send a gift and mail a card.

if you’ve been to one, how was it set up?

We just did one that skipped the curbside.
A family member sent out a card that listed the due date and place where registered, we sent the gift to the new parents home.
The parents are planning an outdoor meet the baby party in the fall in hopes that more people will be comfortable with gathering at that time.

Oh that sounds good for a meet baby at a later time. I wish this one did not have curbside thing would make me feel antisocial unless they mean you stay in your car and they hand you something?

I haven’t been to one but I’ve seen one in my neighborhood. They had a canopy and table set up with decorations distanced from the road. People would drive up and someone would collect their gift and give them a goodie bag. I don’t know if any guests parked and got out, I didn’t see anyone do that.

I haven’t been to one but I’ve seen one in my neighborhood. They had a canopy and table set up with decorations distanced from the road. People would drive up and someone would collect their gift and give them a goodie bag. I don’t know if any guests parked and got out, I didn’t see anyone do that.

This is how drive by parties were done here.

My friend from work hosted one a couple weeks ago for her sister and I saw a few pictures. She had set up a couple tables - one with treats (she had gotten individually wrapped decorated cookies and cans of sparking water) and one for the gifts. She and her sister sat outside and the friends/family came by and was able to visit a few minutes with her pregnant sister and then they gave the guests a cookie and water and they dropped off a gift. She said it went really well and her sister was so glad to see so many people without being in a "large group" setting.

Am I the only that thinks this is pretty tacky? 🤷‍♀️ Probably. 😂
I have to agree with you but then again I am of the belief that if someone cares about me and or my baby then they will reach out to me and let me know they would like to get me something and arrange a time to come see me. I have never believed in showers for ANY occasion, it just feels like begging for gifts. I don't judge anyone who chooses to have one it's just not something my family believes in.

same here, also feel sorry for the social norms that are missed.

op, if your worried about covid and personal contact, personally I would just send a gift with a personal card or phone call.

:confused3Meh, this deep into the pandemic and having been allowed such limited contact with one another, I'm fine with it. I've been involved in numerous "drive-by" celebrations over the past year. Nobody would do it if there were a way to have a real party but life does go on...

I attended one last summer when it was best to not have a traditional shower. Actually not too different than the drive-by birthday parties I attended...

Tent outside for the couple and hosts to stand under (it was not hosted by the couple)

Host offered drinks/food when we got in the line-up

When we got to the couple, they greeted us at the car window, we chatted, handed them the gift

Host thanked us for coming, handed us a goodie bag

To be honest, I'd prefer all showers to be done this way in the future :teeth: No chit chat, dumb games, or dressing up on a weekend ;)

I think most drive by celebrations have been cars driving like a parade but when gifts are expected it seems more like what kittyblue described. You could always contact the person listed as a contact to ask about how the curbside treats will work if they'll be like kittyblue described where it's just an exchange quickly done you giving the gift they giving you the treat. That way you'll know if they are doing it in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable you'll know how to proceed.

We had one for my grandson and his wife. It worked out really well. They stayed outside and had tables set up with treats to go that were individually boxed. We gave the gift and they gave the goodies. Later that day they did something on Facebook where we could all join in and watch her open the gifts and make comments as she opened them. Would I have preferred a traditional party, of course. I was just thrilled that we could do something to help get ready for my great grandson.

Our church has been holding these for new moms during COVID. Our church entrance is mostly windows with glass doors and a covered area outside the front doors. Mom, Baby and Grandma(s) are set up in the entrance of the church. Attendees take turns parking under the overhang, place their gift on the table set up outside the doors and are able to have a quick chat and peek at the baby. No goodies. It works really well!

I went to a drive by birthday party a few months ago and was expecting to just drive by and pass a gift out the window.

Some folks were leaving when we arrived and they had parked, so we parked our car and got out. We gave our friend her gift, ate some pretzel bites her husband put out and took some photos.

We all wore masks at the request of the birthday girl.

Other “guests” came by while we were there and choose to stay in their cars, wave, and pass a gift out the window and that was ok too. There was no “expectation”, it was just whatever you were comfortable with.

I have to agree with you but then again I am of the belief that if someone cares about me and or my baby then they will reach out to me and let me know they would like to get me something and arrange a time to come see me. I have never believed in showers for ANY occasion, it just feels like begging for gifts. I don't judge anyone who chooses to have one it's just not something my family believes in.

I'd much rather have a shower and visit with everyone at once than have to be the host for 20 different visits of people who want to see me pregnant and bring a gift for the baby.

I was invited to one in April but didn't attend. From what I could tell from the pics, you drove by, gave your gift to the bride/mom, got a cupcake delivered to the car window, and COULD hop out of the car to take a picture with the mom/bride.

I sent a gift and a card. Not being mean but it just seemed like a waste of time for ME. The mom looked thrilled and I'm happy for her. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter