• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Buffalo with 5 children

momofdbsdc

momofdbsdca
This is the first time that we are taking a long driving vacation with our 5 children. They are 1,2,4,6,&8. For anyone that has driven before, would you recommend leaving at their bedtime(7 pm) or getting up early the next morning? Any input would be wonderful!

TIA

Blessings,
Kim:jester: :jester: :jester:

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Here's what I learned by taking my two kids to Maine last month. It was only a 6 hour drive.

*** I would buy or rent a small TV/VCR to keep them occupied. I never thought I'd say that, but I could only take so much of the "when are we going to be there?"

*** Keep your snacks handy. I had to pull over and open the tailgate every time they wanted a drink or a yogurt.

*** Bribe them with the money that you're going to give them to spend anyway... if they can go an hour without asking that infernal question... see above... they get a dollar, or whatever other denomination works for you.
I don't think that by leaving at bedtime or in the morning will make too much of a difference for the kids. It's a long ride no matter how you slice it. They are going to sleep sometimes and be up sometimes no matter what. You have to look at how tired you will be by leaving at either time, traffic volume, etc. should also be taken into account.

Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Please say no! If not, then I suggest driving early am to evening, with rest stops when necessary. Then a built in time for running off pent up energy or swimming for same reason at hotel each evening. Then up early am again (some of the little ones will fall asleep again after breakfast, I'm guessing) and hit the road. That way parents get sleep so they can safely drive and cope with little ones. You're brave people but if you take your time and don't push too hard you'll do fine. I hope you have a BIG vehicle. ALso suggest each kid have one snuggly (pillow, fav blanket, toy) for car and hotel bed. Something familiar helps keep a little one calm.

I would leave at their bedtime if you can make yourself pull over when you start to get tired. Even if you can drive for 5 hours, that's 5 hours that they'll be asleep and peaceful. You'll end up being on the road while they're awake for much of the time, but every little bit helps.

One warning about driving for five hours and stopping about mid-night. This seems like a perfect plan.We thought so too. We tried this when my DS and my nephew were about a year old. They slept the whole time we were driving but then woke up when we stoped about 11 or so. Wide awake, full of energy and in a new place. It took half the night to settle them down. You know your kids best. If you can carry them into a hotel and they stay asleep, then this might be a great plan. Good luck and have a safe drive.

We have three children and when my children were young, we always left at 1:00am, as it took us 16 hours from Ohio, to get to Disney.

My kids were really good and would sleep, almost the whole time..
I did buy small toys, that they didnt get to open, until we were in the car.

This seems to work for us.. and now that we are always taking grandchildren with us we do the same thing.

we do stop at rest stops and let the children run and play, after they wake up the next morning.

but the only thing diffent that we do is now, we also have a dvd player for our grandchildren.. which is great.. you can get them at walmart for about $220 and they are really nice.
Our grandchildren love watch disney movies all the way to florida..

We are going next week from Albany,NY with 3 kids,13,11,7. Our plan is to leave about 3:00 am,hopefully,my DH and I will go to bed the night before at about 9:00,wake the kids up,I'm sur they will be excited and stay up for awhile ,give them all Dramamine(they all get car sick and it makes them tired),drive until late afternoon,early evening. Get a hotel,let the kids awim and go to bed early. Next day we will have not a very long ride. We are definatly bringing a TV and video game player,yours are alittle young but some Disney videos would help. We drove down 7 years ago when they were little. It wasn't that bad,but we were mighty sick of Barney and Disney sing along tapes! Have fun.

I saw the other day Circuit City had the 13" tv/VCR on sale for $150. I would rec. looking into that.
Having a TV on board is a LIFE saver!! I don't know how my parents took us anywhere without one!
Have fun and good luck!:smooth:

We have been driving from central NJ to WDW every year since 1994 with the exception of 2000 when I convinced my DW to fly.........and that was the first and last time we did that. We have 2 children and have always had either a minivan or SUV which makes the ride that much more comfortable. Last year, we purchased a laptop computer with a DVD player and that was excellent. The kids watched movies and played video games the whole way. We usually leave NJ at 4:00am and drive straight thru stopping only for gas/bathroom breaks and arrive in WDW around 8:30-9:00pm. I find it is better for us to drive during daytime hours instead of through the night. Going home is a different story. First of all, we are wiped from the week in WDW and certainly have difficulty leaving at 4:00am. We usually stop at Hilton Head and stay in Disneys HH Island resort for the night and split up the trip that way. Enjoy your trip and have a safe ride!!!!
Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter